Carry at the mall.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Carry at the mall.

Postby Punisher102 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm

OK guys and gals we need to take action. First it was the MOA banning guns but now I see that the Burnsville mall is also banning them.

WTF? Are public malls no longer public?

They are leased properties and according to MN statute 624.714 landlords may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests.

How do we get these malls to take down the signs and stop violating our right to carry in public?

OR do we as card holders simply disregard the signs and shop as we please. Only to force them (mall officials and or police) to ask us to leave?
Punisher102

Re: Carry at the mall.

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Feel free to do a forum search for "carry mall" and you will get 15 pages of posts exactly like this one. You will find thorough and lively discussion in those posts.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby hunterfreakhd on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:03 pm

"card holder" :? They love credit card holders at the mall... :lol:
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Pezhead on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Feel free to do a forum search for "carry mall" and you will get 15 pages of posts exactly like this one. You will find thorough and lively discussion in those posts.

Yep.
Burnsville's been posted for a while, not something they just started doing.
Pezhead

Postby Punisher102 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I did search, and just noticed the postings today.

They (the malls) cant legally ban us from them so why do they try?
Punisher102

Postby Pezhead on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:11 pm

It makes certain people feel safe. I'm sure criminals will obey the signs.
Pezhead

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Punisher102 wrote:I did search, and just noticed the postings today.

And still felt another thread was warranted? Those other 100+ threads are pretty all inclusive, and touch on the key points. ;)

Punisher102 wrote:They (the malls) cant legally ban us from them so why do they try?

Because it isn't illegal for them to put up a sign on their door, and they want us to know we aren't welcome. It really is as simple as that.

Most permit holders, rather than making a stink about it will either grant them their wishes and give the money to the competitors, or just walk past the signs like they weren't there. Depends on what suits you. Either way, they won't know you're carrying unless you are complacent about it, or carrying openly. If they then ask you to leave, and don't, sign or no sign you are tresspassing.

Personally I just stay away from the mall.
Last edited by Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stradawhovious

Postby bstrawse on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:16 pm

This has been discussed to death. My advice, as we like to say, "concealed is concealed".
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Carry at the mall.

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:25 pm

I must say that with the massacre in Colorado, we should all have a personal interest in this subject. Maniacs pick posted places because the people in them can't defend themselves. I agree with the OP that malls cannot legally post as fun free zones. They know that and simply hope people will respect their wishes. I would support a petition to the legislature to ban gun free zones for the safety of the public. I have not been able to find a shooting at a place where guns are known to be plentiful. However I understand how unlikely this may be. It is a shame. But, as has been stated, concealed is concealed. I just don't like having to hide.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby rtk on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Personally I just stay away from the mall.

Me too....Strad for the win.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Irish.40 wrote: Maniacs pick posted places because the people in them can't defend themselves. I agree with the OP that malls cannot legally post as fun free zones. They know that and simply hope people will respect their wishes. I would support a petition to the legislature to ban gun free zones for the safety of the public.

OK... Here is what I don't understand.... Why wouldn't you respect their wishes?

In your support of legislation for there to be no gun free zones, are you saying private establishments should not have the right to say they don't want guns in their building? (Yes, I realize the mall is a landlord, and the tenants ultimately have the decision..... not what I'm hitting at....)

You're walking a fine line here..... taking way the rights of private business owners because you feel it is in the best interest of the public, is no different than Heather Marten and the Brady Bunch saying you shouldn't have a gun because they feel it is in the best interest of the public. After all, it's for the children, right? ;)
It's my opinion that you should push to end gun free zones through education, not legislation.

You are new to the carry game.... and although I like your ferver, you really want to take a step back and look at the bigger picture on many of the issues you are addressing.

As for the mall, if you are really bent out of shape about it, and insist on frequenting there, use any of the entrances that are posted non-compliant. There are a few. I'm sure somewhere in the past 100+ threads about this they are pointed out.
Stradawhovious

Carry at the mall.

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Strad, I am new to the carry life. I don't see how that disqualifies my logic. It's either sound or it's not. I understand that newcomers need to be hazed in but at some point the " your new so calm down" needs to dropped. My opinions aren't any less valid because I'm new to the forum.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby Punisher102 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:11 pm

you guys are great,,, great lill sheep that just follow the herd..

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

It not a matter of OC vs CC. its a matter of them taking our rights.

The police are there to uphold the law. Plain and simple. NOT to have them breaking it.

Like I said, the law says that landlords can not ban guns. Yet they do, and the police take their side. The police should be telling the landords to take down the signs as they are not enforceable.

As for the go somewhere else crowd, what if what I wanna buy is in the mall?? What if I cant get it anywhere else?? I should not have to go anywhere else no?
Last edited by Punisher102 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher102

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Irish.40 wrote:Strad, I am new to the carry life. I don't see how that disqualifies my logic. It's either sound or it's not. I understand that newcomers need to be hazed in but at some point the " your new so calm down" needs to dropped. My opinions aren't any less valid because I'm new to the forum.

Say what you will about your logic. I'm entitled to my opinion of it.

You being new to carrying in and of itself doesn't qualify your logic, your logic, in my humble opinion, disqualifies itself.... as I've pointed out. And your opinion isn't any less valid because you are new to the forum, and I never said anything along those lines. Your being new to carrying is what is what I believe is making you miss the big picture. Hell, just a few weeks ago, you have been carrying for all of two weeks, and were already anxious to get into arguments about guns with strangers while open carrying.

Also, please tell me where I told you to calm down. "Take a look at the bigger picture" =/= calm down.
Last edited by Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stradawhovious

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Punisher102 wrote:you guys are great,,, great lill sheep that just follow the heard..

You don't know a damn thing about me.

And it's "Herd" not "Heard"

You're welcome.
Stradawhovious

Next

Return to General Gun Chat