3-D printer made firearms!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

3-D printer made firearms!

Postby GunGoogler on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 am

If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Re: 3-D printer made firearms!

Postby RAGGED on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am

Meh, he didn’t make the entire thing, just the lower, no really milestone there, plastic lowers have been around forever. As for home use, good luck, it would be cheaper to buy an older CNC and make a real part, 3D printers are spendy. Our small one was 45K and we just got a quote for a larger unit that went well over $150K. Makes for a fun article to read if you don’t know much but if you have any background in it you will see it’s not that big of a deal.
RAGGED

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:10 am

Yeah, "A Working Assault Rifle Made With a 3-D Printer" sounds like a working weapon comes out of the printer. We're nowhere close to that — yet.

But 3D printers are like computers in the 1970s; a commercially capable one is big bucks, and the toy ones in hobbyists' home are just starting to get interesting. In a few years it's going to be a different story.
Last edited by Pat Cannon on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Cannon

Postby photogpat on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 am

So, whats the ATF going to do? They might just decide that the barrel, or the bolt carrier group...or some other part is the "regulated" part...there are still some things that can't be made on a tabletop CNC right?

For now........ :twisted:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Don't those printers just make plastic prototypes...with a plastic that is no where near strong enough to stand up to the rigors and pressures of gun use?
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby TTS on Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:46 pm

The plastic parts they produce will not hold up like a Glock frame, but an AR lower built from it would be useful for 500-5000 rounds, depending on the mix.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby jspace on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 pm

3D printer's aren't too terribly expensive. A large hobbyist model can be built for something like $300-400. Less if you already have access to a 3D printer of some kind.
I'm no expert on the AR, but the lower doesn't seem to (Usually) experience that much stress. Sure, something like that won't last, but you could just melt it down and print a new one. Besides I saw some guy make one out of blocks of HDPE or something. I think he also made one out of MDF.

Also, the receiver has been up on Thingverse for a while now. So are (somewhat usable) magazines.
jspace

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:56 am

It's too bad the US (and MN) has such ******* suppressor laws. It would be awesome to be able to print up a disposable silencer at home. I've heard plastic silencers are available in New Zealand, for example, for something like $30. Yeah, they don't last forever but for that price they are probably just fine to whack a few rodents with when necessary. Or even make a metal tube but print replaceable baffle stacks/monocores. Ahh, to dream.

In 20 years, I think 3D printers will really change how we live. Instead of buying certain widgets, they can just be printed at home. Maybe we'll be buying the plans online and it will print out X number of times and then need to be repurchased. Talk about putting USPS or UPS out of business! ETA: Not that I want USPS out of business, I think they do a very fine job and would miss getting the mail every day!
Bitter Bastard

Postby westhope on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 am

I've worked with "3D-Printers" for the last 10 years and they have come a long way in the ability to use better materials. Some types of 3D- printers can use materials the approach those of molded plastics.

I would think a 3D-printer that combines with the materials used in MIM (Metal Injection Molding) parts is possible. The parts are modeled on the 3D-printer and then sintered like MIM parts to get the properties of metals. These may be around today.

I would also think the microwave will be replace with a 3D-printer that uses an edible material to "print" your food. Think the food synthesiser in Star Trek.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby redaudi on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 am

I'm still waiting for my hoverboard!
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:04 pm

westhope wrote:I've worked with "3D-Printers" for the last 10 years and they have come a long way in the ability to use better materials. Some types of 3D- printers can use materials the approach those of molded plastics.

I would think a 3D-printer that combines with the materials used in MIM (Metal Injection Molding) parts is possible. The parts are modeled on the 3D-printer and then sintered like MIM parts to get the properties of metals. These may be around today.

I would also think the microwave will be replace with a 3D-printer that uses an edible material to "print" your food. Think the food synthesiser in Star Trek.

Oh yummy..........NOT!
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:14 am

Bacon wouldn't be bacon then... Granted microwaving bacon is a sin but you know where I'm going with this. If they can't reproduce something like I can cook it I don't want it.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby DeanC on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:56 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:It's too bad the US (and MN) has such ******* suppressor laws. It would be awesome to be able to print up a disposable silencer at home. I've heard plastic silencers are available in New Zealand, for example, for something like $30. Yeah, they don't last forever but for that price they are probably just fine to whack a few rodents with when necessary. Or even make a metal tube but print replaceable baffle stacks/monocores. Ahh, to dream.

This adapter allows you to use automotive oil filters:

The adapter is the registered part and you really can't use your sights at all.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:03 pm

DeanC wrote:
Bitter Bastard wrote:It's too bad the US (and MN) has such ******* suppressor laws. It would be awesome to be able to print up a disposable silencer at home. I've heard plastic silencers are available in New Zealand, for example, for something like $30. Yeah, they don't last forever but for that price they are probably just fine to whack a few rodents with when necessary. Or even make a metal tube but print replaceable baffle stacks/monocores. Ahh, to dream.

[link removed by me to save space]

Yeah,I've seen that product. Neat, but still not as neat as printing your own from home. Think of the cool designs one could play with, including eccentric ones that would not occlude the sights. But alas, not quite ready with current technology (at least cheaply) or MN's laws.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm

DeanC wrote:

Well, I dunno, seems like all the oil would leak out if ya used it that way. Just saying...
Holland&Holland

Return to General Gun Chat