Burnville Pistol Range - On Fire?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Burnville Pistol Range - On Fire?

Postby engnerdan on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 am

lenny7 wrote:
jshuberg wrote:If the backstop were on fire it would be a class Bravo, with dense heavy black smoke. From the photos posted earlier in the thread the smoke appears to be dark gray, indicating a class Alpha fire. It doesn't appear the backstop was burning, at least at the time the photo was taken.

That's a good point, but the smoke definitely had a burned rubber smell to it.

If the air handler was burning it would not be a 3 alarm fire. There is just not enough material to burn in a roof top the size of the ones at the range. They smoke like hell, smell bad once power would be cut and suppresant applied a rooftop is just a metal box that would be fairly contained.

The berms in the south pistol and rifle bay are really a steel framework much like a set of stairs with the chunked rubber piled on top. There is something like 10,000+ lbs of rubber chunks piled in the steel framework. So there is a large air void in the back of the berm. So if a fire started deep in the berm and smoldered it would seem to be a nightmare. With any of the rubber assisted berms/backstops there is maintenance required. The old rubber block type would develop hotspots where many bullets built up and these would get hot enough to start a fire, which is why they are not built anymore. I know Rodger frequently did maintenance on the berm, piling more rubber on as it got shot up, and have the rubber sifted (bullets removed and crumbs removed). It will be interesting to see what the cause of the fire is determined to be.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby xd ED on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 am

engnerdan wrote:
lenny7 wrote:
jshuberg wrote:If the backstop were on fire it would be a class Bravo, with dense heavy black smoke. From the photos posted earlier in the thread the smoke appears to be dark gray, indicating a class Alpha fire. It doesn't appear the backstop was burning, at least at the time the photo was taken.

That's a good point, but the smoke definitely had a burned rubber smell to it.

If the air handler was burning it would not be a 3 alarm fire. There is just not enough material to burn in a roof top the size of the ones at the range. They smoke like hell, smell bad once power would be cut and suppresant applied a rooftop is just a metal box that would be fairly contained.

The berms in the south pistol and rifle bay are really a steel framework much like a set of stairs with the chunked rubber piled on top. There is something like 10,000+ lbs of rubber chunks piled in the steel framework. So there is a large air void in the back of the berm. So if a fire started deep in the berm and smoldered it would seem to be a nightmare. With any of the rubber assisted berms/backstops there is maintenance required. The old rubber block type would develop hotspots where many bullets built up and these would get hot enough to start a fire, which is why they are not built anymore. I know Rodger frequently did maintenance on the berm, piling more rubber on as it got shot up, and have the rubber sifted (bullets removed and crumbs removed). It will be interesting to see what the cause of the fire is determined to be.

In an earlier post, I speculated about the air handling unit, based on reports of flames from one of the units, and a bit of wishful thinking on my part. Clearly this is far worse than that.

The firefighter blog has some info on the fire: http://twincitiesfirewire.com/2012/08/01/burnsville-shooting-range-damaged-in-3-alarm-fire/
I got to believe it is pretty bad inside.
Maybe not structural damage, but the smoke/soot damage is likely throughout.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby tman on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 am

BBeckwith wrote:Probably the most accurate information as to what happened last night at this point.

http://twincitiesfirewire.com/2012/08/0 ... larm-fire/

Look at all of those pictures of AMERICA'S HEROES!

(standing around, doing nothing.) :mrgreen:
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby PileDriver on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 am

I work with Roger's son, he said they think it was something electrical that caught the backstop of the pistol range on fire. Thinks the rifle range is salvageable.
PileDriver

Postby MrVvrroomm on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 am

Humphrey Bogart wrote:Maybe there's some left-over Obama stimulus money?

We could get Keith Ellison, The comedian guy who's the senator and Amy Klobuchar right on that.

That was a joke but this is serious.....you wouldn't belive the crap they've spent stimulus money on....
Don't be such a dick
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby lenny7 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am

PileDriver wrote:I work with Roger's son, he said they think it was something electrical that caught the backstop of the pistol range on fire. Thinks the rifle range is salvageable.

Now that I look at the satellite map of the place, it makes more sense that it was the pistol bay rather than the rifle bay as was told to me by the cop on site. The smoke is coming from the pistol bay exhaust fans. All of the rooftop equipment for the rifle bay is on the east end.
lenny7

Postby Pezhead on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Let's try to focus on those affected by this tragedy people.
Pezhead

Postby bobbydamit on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

lenny7 wrote:
TH3180 wrote:I would consider BPR my home range living 10 minutes away. Hell in the winter I stop in there at least once a week. Fire is what closed down the range at Dakota Fitness. I hope that's not the case here.

At Dakotah Sport & Fitness, the fire was just a convenient excuse to close it down. There were council members who had been wanting to close it down because of the 'message' it was giving the public and they jumped on the opportunity to close it. At least that's the story I got from a well placed source.

I know the Chief's kid well, and can confirm that perspective. Close, but not exact of course. It was not even in the rebuild budget, $$$ wise, from the get go.
Hope BPR will be able to make some ventilation changes now, and all is covered by Insurance for those folks.. They are good people and deserve a break. Maybe this is just that, a good thing. One can hope. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Last edited by bobbydamit on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Devil Made Me Do It."
Geraldine
bobbydamit

Postby XDM45 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Guys, a few pages back, I mentioned that I would throw into the pot two four-hour certificates for my IT work ($100/hour x 4 hours = $400 a certificate in value x two certificates for 4800 total), I'll double that to 4 certificates thus making the total value $1,600. Whatever money those certs sell for in an auction at a fundraiser, all the cash goes to BPR.

In the event that a fundraiser doesn't take place..... (because I don't want to under-cut my efforts and value as such), I will make this offer......

For users of this board or for anyone who supports BPR, I'll do work at $75.00/hour if that will give further incentive. If you want to pay by check, make it out to Roger/BPR. If you want to pay by cash, I'll give you a receipt. Either way, 100% goes to Roger and BPR. Certainly not everyone here is an IT geek and could use something done on their computer(s) and/or network(s).

As for the personal stuff between certain people and BPR, deal with them on it. We all have issues with people, but kicking someone when they are down only makes the kicker look like an (____________) (Feel free to fill in the blank with an insult of your own choice). I love BPR, respect Roger, Sue, Don, the place, staff, patrons. I LOVE the support on here....and as I said before, I'd really like to get something going regarding a fund, benefit, something.

We have a lot of posts, who is with me on taking the initiative? Is someone working on a benefit, fund, etc? If so, I'll join in. If not, who wants to start one?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Burnville Pistol Range - On Fire?

Postby jshuberg on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 pm

I rarely ever shot there. Even so, they are a significant asset to the community, and if there is any effort to help get them back up and running, count me in.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Bender on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Conversation about $20 transfers split by request. Let's keep THIS thread on topic about the fire. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32983&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Posting from my Blackberry while on the road.
Bender

Postby Kokeba07 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Man thats crazy my Dad and i frequent the place. we were there about a week ago. Like someone a few posts agp said i might not be very smart but i can lift heavy things as well.
Kokeba07

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:29 pm

back on topic, it really, REALLY sucks that this happened. i was actually hoping to take my maiden voyage to the BPR this week! after the damage has been accessed, let's try to help out, as a community, in any way we can.
i'd be willing to offer my labor. i may not be a very smart man but i can lift heavy things
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby SmoothAR on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:55 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:back on topic, it really, REALLY sucks that this happened. i was actually hoping to take my maiden voyage to the BPR this week! after the damage has been accessed, let's try to help out, as a community, in any way we can.
i'd be willing to offer my labor. i may not be a very smart man but i can lift heavy things

+1 on helping out in any way I can.
SmoothAR

The Latest On The BPR Fire

Postby Don L on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:34 pm

I was there with Roger and Sue for a few hours this afternoon, and here's the latest:
The fire was in the South pistol bay in the backstop area. Lots of heat, smoke, and water. At a casual glance the other two bays look OK with the exception of some possible smoke & water damage. Same with the lobby & classroom. A full inspection will get started tomorrow-at that time they'll start plans for repairs and re-opening.

Roger and Sue say that if you have firearms in transit for transfer, they will recieve them and contact you. They do request that everyone hold off on any new shipments until they give the OK.

BPR classes are suspended for the time being.

Any updates will be posted on the BPR website, and I'll post them here as well.

They're overwhelmed with all the support they're recieving from all of you, and the rest of the gun community. They thank you.

Don
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat