Need some advice please.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Need some advice please.

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Went shooting(pistols) tonight and it was pointed out to me I'm rather flinchy, I've know this but didn't want to admit it to myself. Even with platforms I've shot countless times and should be comfortable with. I know a trainer would the way to go but at this point in time I can't afford one and verbal advice is free. My question to those in the know is there something I can do on my own to overcome this? What can I do to overcome this?
Last edited by Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Re: Need some advice please.

Postby PRS on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Rifle, shotgun, or pistol? Dryfire and .22 gets my flinch out.
PRS

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Pistol sorry.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby solidgun on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:38 pm

When you are shooting or when you hear shots from other shooters?
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby ttousi on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm

Dummy ammunition, dry fire and trigger control
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Maniac117 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Mixing snap caps randomly with live ammo at the range.. you'll really find out how much you flinch.
MP5?
Maniac117

Need some advice please.

Postby jshuberg on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 pm

If you're able to get out to Bill's in Robbinsdale, send me a PM and I'll meet you up there some time. There can be any number of things that can cause the weapon to move when you squeeze the trigger. Anything from sympathetic muscle motion, pushing the trigger, milking the grip, etc. Knowing whats causing you trouble is the first step to solving it.

Lemme know.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 pm

solidgun wrote:When you are shooting or when you hear shots from other shooters?

When I'm shooting. Yes I flinch when I'm watching others shoot, that doesn't bother me so much but I have the feeling it doesn't help my issue, but it gets tuned out when I step up to shoot. I still hear the others shooting, I've noticed myself flinching when others aren't.
Lunchbox

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm

jshuberg wrote:If you're able to get out to Bill's in Robbinsdale, send me a PM and I'll meet you up there some time. There can be any number of things that can cause the weapon to move when you squeeze the trigger. Anything from sympathetic muscle motion, pushing the trigger, milking the grip, etc. Knowing whats causing you trouble is the first step to solving it.

Lemme know.

I'll take you up on that when I'm able to buy a good amount of ammo and some snap caps, towards the middle or end of September. Thanks for the offer
Lunchbox

Postby GunGoogler on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Lunchbox wrote:Went shooting(pistols) tonight and it was pointed out to me I'm rather flinchy, I've know this but didn't want to admit it to myself. Even with platforms I've shot countless times and should be comfortable with. I know a trainer would the way to go but at this point in time I can't afford one and verbal advice is free. My question to those in the know is there something I can do on my own to overcome this? What can I do to overcome this?

I didn't think you were that flinchy. One thing that might be contributing is that you were shooting a rather large variety of pistols, different trigger styles/factors, slide lengths, revolvers and semi-autos, etc. That lack of consistency as well as the fact that they were all new to you could be a contributor. Before you get too excited, try shooting one pistol consistently to see if you are truly anticipating recall. Going from the easy, smooth breaks on those 1911s to the long double action of the Kahr, to the short snappy double action of the XD-S, followed by the touchy pulls of Strad's revolvers...that is enough to make anyone off.

Regardless of all that, for me, the best practice is dry fire practice.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby GunGoogler on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 pm

ttousi wrote:Dummy ammunition, dry fire and trigger control

Yep...this.

Dummy rounds and dry-firing are great. Next time we go out, I'll load up a few magazines with a few dry rounds randomly dispersed. Concentrate on that front sight and when the dummy comes up, you'l physically see what you are doing with that front sight.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Need some advice please.

Postby ronin069 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm

I found myself flinching and determined it was the sound of some of the cannons being fired around me (including my own at times)...even with decent hearing protection on.

I tried using the foam inserts and regular muffs; it made a noticible difference.
"The gun chooses you, you don't choose the gun"
- my wife
ronin069

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 pm

what were you shooting? those Clapps of Googlie's, or the Kahr, or wheelguns of sorts? you should try something heavier in 9mm. you know, like the CZ 75B

i'm pretty shaky as well. that's part of my BS excuse of being a "combat shooter" instead of a bullseye style. it's all BS that i use to convince myself that i'm not doing something wrong when in fact, i am
Last edited by rukwikenuf on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:32 pm

GunGoogler wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:Went shooting(pistols) tonight and it was pointed out to me I'm rather flinchy, I've know this but didn't want to admit it to myself. Even with platforms I've shot countless times and should be comfortable with. I know a trainer would the way to go but at this point in time I can't afford one and verbal advice is free. My question to those in the know is there something I can do on my own to overcome this? What can I do to overcome this?

I didn't think you were that flinchy. One thing that might be contributing is that you were shooting a rather large variety of pistols, different trigger styles/factors, slide lengths, revolvers and semi-autos, etc. That lack of consistency as well as the fact that they were all new to you could be a contributor. Before you get too excited, try shooting one pistol consistently to see if you are truly anticipating recall. Going from the easy, smooth breaks on those 1911s to the long double action of the Kahr, to the short snappy double action of the XD-S, followed by the touchy pulls of Strad's revolvers...that is enough to make anyone off.

Regardless of all that, for me, the best practice is dry fire practice.

When I really noticed it myself was the last time I shot with you and rukwikenuf. Shooting his P226 a gun I've shot god knows how many times this year alone that's where I figured I had an issue and when Strad made mention I had no way to really deny it further(hence the thread). I'll be somewhat leaniant on myself shooting everything tonight with the except of the 1911s. The way I understand it, when it comes to shooting on 1911= another 1911 for the most part. I understand getting used to a new platform, which tonight a lot were tried, but i shouldn't be that bad.
Lunchbox

Postby Lunchbox on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:what were you shooting? those Clapps of Googlie's, or the Kahr, or wheelguns of sorts? you should try something heavier in 9mm. you know, like the CZ 75B

i'm pretty shaky as well. that's part of my BS excuse of being a "combat shooter" instead of a bullseye style. it's all BS that i use to convince myself that i'm not doing something wrong when in fact, i am

We shot everything under the sun. Strads wheel guns to googlers clapps. Its not a simple case of the shakes, I've learned what I need to control that for myself, I was flinching hard in some cases. That's what I want to fix, why I asked if I could run snap caps through the rentals. I know I'm a better shot then what I've seen the past few times out.
Lunchbox

Next

Return to General Gun Chat