In vs. Out - How do you carry?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby XDM45 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:28 pm

This post serves 2 purposes:

1) To create a discussion on OWB (Outside the WaistBand) vs IWB (Inside the WaistBand) and gather people's opinions of why they chose one versus the other (or both if they use both)... and....

2) To offer up how I came to my decision as a someone new to carrying since there have been a few threads regarding that on here recently; in the hopes that it may help others with their own decision on how to carry.

So in regards to #1, what do you do, when and why? Do you carry IWB all the time? Some of the time? None of the time? Likewise, the same question for OWB.... or do you like to mix it up a bit and carry IWB sometimes and OWB at other times?

Regarding #2, I'm opinionated and I know it. I'm not shy about it and here are my reasons (not justifications), but my reasoning and opinion on how I carry. Your opinion will vary and we must each do what is right for ourselves, so there's no right or wrong here, except for what each person believes is right or wrong for themselves. What follows is my opinion and the way it is for me. I'm curious how it is for you.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to carry OWB exclusively vs. IWB because:

a) I carry my Springfield XDm .45ACP with a 4.5" barrel with an overall gun length of 7" and a bigger gun like that isn't very comfortable IWB, but the deeper reasoning over comfort is this:

- I'm not a believer in having one gun that you carry all the time which is different than the one you use for home defense. The best way to know a weapon is to live with your main weapon and use it exclusively so it becomes an extension of yourself. There's no need to get used to one weapon for home defense which is larger and then a different handgun for carry with a shorter barrel if you only use the one weapon for both instances. Corny as it sounds, become one with the weapon. Learn it. Live it. Love it. Become it. Let it become you. To me, a weapon is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. I don't collect them, I don't fawn over them or lust for them. If I want one, I buy it if there is a justifiable need for it, just like any other tool.

Again, comfort is a minor factor in my decision to carry OWB vs. IWB, but the larger factor is that I'm not going to get a special gun just to carry for comfort.

- It is also my personal belief that when you qualify to get your PTC, you should qualify with the caliber you are going to shoot / carry - and ideally, with the actual weapon you are going to carry. When I qualified for my PTC, I did both. I'm not a fan of qualifying with a .22LR to get a PTC, but to each their own choice. I won't disparage it, but I don't encourage or agree with it either.

- The pros I see of OWB is easier access to the weapon for yourself - and hopefully not for others, as that is a con side of it. Also with an OWB, I can wear clothing over it such as a tall shirt and in the colder months, additional outerwear clothing. It's not IWB, but OWB can still be covered and thus I see OWB as being more flexible than IWB...... however, OWB will never have the concealment that IWB does. so again there are pros and cons to both sides of things, but I can live with it.

b) Another reason for my decision to carry OWB is that I am a believer in open carry. If I see someone openly carrying, I don't have a problem with it because they went through the process to get a PTC if they are a civilian, or they are a current (or former) LEO with an H.R. 218. It's the weapons that I CAN'T see that worry me the most... The ones criminals have and do NOT display except in the commitment of a crime. In other states such as Colorado, openly carrying is quite common, but not so much here in Minnesota. I'd like to see that change, but at the same time, I'm not going to go into places just to stir up trouble as one well-known author and activist has done in the past. I'm just going to go on about my business as a well-informed and armed citizen obeying the law within my rights to do so.

Yes, I do have concerns about OWB that do not exist with IWB, such as a weapon grab or the looks, comments, or prohibition from establishments who may see my weapon and don't want me in there with it, but I'm ok with that. Just stay alert, don't go into problem areas, be aware, alert, on guard, etc. Keep your wits about yourself at all times - which you should be doing anyway whether you carry or not.

- I won't get into a debate with anyone over it, but if they ask why I carry, I simply think "Why DON'T you carry?" The police aren't there to defend you. They are there to do the paperwork afterwards. They carry weapons to stop the threat if the need arises and the legal justification is there, and so should you because your life is no more or less important than anyone else's life is." The LAST thing anyone wants to do (and that includes me) is to draw, let alone use their weapon in self-defense. It is a last resort, but if you don't carry, you don't have that option. Perhaps if people see others carrying, it will cause them to think about it in their own lives such as "Why is he/she carrying? What threat to do they see that I do not?" If nothing else, OWB / Open Carry increases awareness - with both the good and bad sides of that. I see the good out-weighing the bad, but that's opinion.

As always, avoid such situations if, when and where you can, and if you do get into one, escape is always the first choice and option if possible.

Lastly, and I'll toss this out there since it really fits into BOTH IWB and OWB, if you are going to carry, then carry all the time (where you legally can of course). If you don't carry, you aren't protected.

Overall and in general, I see:

- IWB better for concealment, but not comfort.
- You won't get the glares, stares, questions, and be told to leave places with an IWB that you do with an OWB.
- OWB can be uncovered or covered whereas IWB is only really covered.
- Less chance of a weapon-grab with an IWB vs. OWB.
- Easier access for you with OWB vs. IWB.

In the end, we must each choose for ourselves what works best for each of us. Regardless of which way you choose to carry, I'm just glad that you do.

Discuss.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Re: In vs. Out - How do you carry?

Postby 45Badger on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 pm

OWB for me. Easier/faster to bring into action. Much more comfy. Nobody has ever noticed it, even when worn with an open fleece jacket as only cover. Other than a few paranoid and neurotic gunnies, NOBODY goes around looking at the waistlines of 30, 40 and 50 year old men. Really.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby One Man Wolf Pack on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Does pocket carry cout for owb? I got a nice little pocket holster for when I need it.
One Man Wolf Pack

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm

OWB, I've tried both and found a Banchi carry lok holster which is OWB and I think is one of the best made, it is comfortable, secure and I have one for the every gun my wife and I carry.
mmcnx2

Postby Rotary12 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:02 pm

I carry IWB, but when I have a tucked in shirt it's kind of open. I've never had anyone notice my gun before.
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby Scratch on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:25 pm

I carry IWB with shorts and a t shirt or pants. Always an untucked shirt. And with a G17 in a hybrid holster. Love it.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:56 pm

IWB exclusively. Easier to conceal, and to be honest with OWB I bang into and get it caught up on too many things too frequently.

I have carried many guns up to and including a full sized 1911 and find that if you can't conceal conveniently and comfortably, in most cases it's the fault of the holster not the firearm. Unless of course you're rail thin....... Then you're just SOL.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:08 pm

XDM45 wrote:So in regards to #1, what do you do, when and why? Do you carry IWB all the time? Some of the time? None of the time? Likewise, the same question for OWB.... or do you like to mix it up a bit and carry IWB sometimes and OWB at other times?

IWB all the time.

XDM45 wrote:I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to carry OWB exclusively vs. IWB because:

a) I carry my Springfield XDm .45ACP with a 4.5" barrel with an overall gun length of 7" and a bigger gun like that isn't very comfortable IWB,...

Have you tried an IWB holster for any length of time? When I carried a 5" 1911, I found it quite comfortable.

XDM45 wrote:...but the deeper reasoning over comfort is this:

- I'm not a believer in having one gun that you carry all the time which is different than the one you use for home defense. The best way to know a weapon is to live with your main weapon and use it exclusively so it becomes an extension of yourself. There's no need to get used to one weapon for home defense which is larger and then a different handgun for carry with a shorter barrel if you only use the one weapon for both instances. Corny as it sounds, become one with the weapon. Learn it. Live it. Love it. Become it. Let it become you.

I'm with ya there. That's why I shoot my carry gun in IDPA. But a shotgun for the home still makes sense to me. Pistols exist only because shotguns and rifles are too awkward to carry around everywhere you go.
Pat Cannon

Postby CarryCauseICan on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:31 pm

IWB, crossbread super tuck with Xdm compact. Very comfortable. To me, length of the barrel doesn't matter as much as length of the grip protruding. T-shirt or short sleeve button up shirt.
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby Flyby on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:45 pm

For me I almost always carry IWB except for when Im driving to go out shooting or its cold enough to where Im always wearing a sweatshirt or jacket then I will carry OWB sometimes.
Flyby

Postby tt3 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:51 pm

IWB exclusively in a holster of my own making... Unless I put the Kel Tec in my pocket also in a holster of my own making. I've got dings on my corners at slide level from when I was wearing OWB.

T-shirt and shorts in the summer, t-shirt and jeans in the winter. I don't like the idea of switching carry methods too much, less to think about.
tt3

Postby infidel on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Depends on the firearm and rig I have available. Mostly 5 or 6 o'clock, IWB.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby WyattsWingShooter on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm

IWB in a Concealment Solutions holster with a XD subcompact, all day everyday
We are free to choose our actions,
but we are not free to choose the consequences of those actions.
WyattsWingShooter

Postby tazdevil on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Depends on my carry situation inlaws where guns are evil (thats MIL, not FIL speak, he always reminds me she doesn't know he has some rifles in deep cover)? IWB deep undercover; going out with wife and wearing a button down tshirt untucked over a plain tshirt? OWB. Either IWB/OWB carried at about 4-5oclock position. Also depends on what I'm wearing. Oh, and if I'm wearing a wetsuit while Jetskiing, it just doesn't work (not that I'd need one then anyway!).
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Jbotto on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm

So far for the Sp101, it's IWB for me. I can't scrounge up more money right now for an OWB holster so I just stick with my Old Faithful Holster. It's not uncomfortable, but I do know it's there!
Jbotto

Next

Return to General Gun Chat