Unarmed attacker tries to disarm open carrier

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Unarmed attacker tries to disarm open carrier

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 am

I keep hearing OC advocates say this never happens to citizens.

http://annarbor.com/news/crime/unarmed- ... tered-gun/
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Re: Unarmed attacker tries to disarm open carrier

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 am

I'm not a fan of the 'us vs them' mentality when it comes to open and concealed carry, I appreciate the ability to choose - thank you very much.

I'm trying to find their open carry laws, all I'm finding are permits for concealed carry. From what I'm reading you do not need a permit to open carry in Michigan, so I guess your argument is a little weak at this point... without a permit, under the law he had no choice but to open carry.

Who was your instructor? :D :?

It seems like he may have had a retention holster, if not - he may be in the market for one now. I'm going to check out Michigan's open carry forum to see if he's talking about it to get more of the story.

I also posted a link to the article on their Facebook page.

From http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq.asp
In the 19th century, Michigan outlawed the carry of concealed weapons. The rational was that a person could use a concealed pistol in a fight and surprise his or her opponent. That is, a person had a right to know if the other person was armed before getting in a dispute. Michigan has forbidden the carrying of a pistol without a license in a motor vehicle, whether concealed or not, for much the same reason. Poachers who would hunt from cars may very well be the reason that we can only carry our long guns cased or in the truck of an automobile (MCL 324.43513). There are other laws that forbid the carrying of pistols with an unlawful intent (MCL 750.226), and the brandishing of a firearm (MCL 750.234e). Since there are no laws that forbid it, the open carrying of a pistol or other firearm, without unlawful intent and without brandishing, outside of a vehicle is legal.
Thunder71

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:38 am

Thunder71 wrote:I'm not a fan of the 'us vs them' mentality when it comes to open and concealed carry, I appreciate the ability to choose - thank you very much.

I'm trying to find their open carry laws, all I'm finding are permits for concealed carry. From what I'm reading you do not need a permit to open carry in Michigan, so I guess your argument is a little weak at this point... without a permit, under the law he had no choice but to open carry.

Who was your instructor? :D :?

I'm sorry if you feel my posting this was presented as an "argument", that was not my intent. I just posted the article so people could see it.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby Bignuts on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 am

Good information both.:grin:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Bignuts

Postby Heffay on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:55 am

I have no problem with people deciding to open carry. I also have no problem telling them it's a dumb idea.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 am

that's why I on the rare occsion I do open carry I have a thumb break on my holster.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

And totally aside from the whole legal debate, with open carry you lose one important tactical advantage: The element of surprise. Some perp tries to take you down, and it's a 99% chance that he hasn't mentally prepared himself for taking down an armed victim, and once the gun comes out his plan and resolve go down the toilet faster than a Gopher 5 coney lunch. (!!!) Speaking of which, that's why I only open carry at the EFFEN Gopher, because George wants it to be known as a place where armed citizens hang out (as well and cops and Feds...) so he doesn't get a robbed in broad daylight again. When I and Sasha are there, there's never more than about half a dozen people in the bar, so the first thing any perp is going to see is the big pure white dog and the old geezer with three pounds of iron on his right hip.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby photogpat on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 am

Seismic Sam wrote:And totally aside from the whole legal debate, with open carry you lose one important tactical advantage: The element of surprise. Some perp tries to take you down, and it's a 99% chance that he hasn't mentally prepared himself for taking down an armed victim, and once the gun comes out his plan and resolve go down the toilet faster than a Gopher 5 coney lunch. (!!!) Speaking of which, that's why I only open carry at the EFFEN Gopher, because George wants it to be known as a place where armed citizens hang out (as well and cops and Feds...) so he doesn't get a robbed in broad daylight again. When I and Sasha are there, there's never more than about half a dozen people in the bar, so the first thing any perp is going to see is the big pure white dog and the old geezer with three pounds of iron on his right hip.

+2 for the the big trench coat, height and general odor of under-bridgeness as well! :lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:16 pm

photogpat wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:And totally aside from the whole legal debate, with open carry you lose one important tactical advantage: The element of surprise. Some perp tries to take you down, and it's a 99% chance that he hasn't mentally prepared himself for taking down an armed victim, and once the gun comes out his plan and resolve go down the toilet faster than a Gopher 5 coney lunch. (!!!) Speaking of which, that's why I only open carry at the EFFEN Gopher, because George wants it to be known as a place where armed citizens hang out (as well and cops and Feds...) so he doesn't get a robbed in broad daylight again. When I and Sasha are there, there's never more than about half a dozen people in the bar, so the first thing any perp is going to see is the big pure white dog and the old geezer with three pounds of iron on his right hip.

+2 for the the big trench coat, height and general odor of under-bridgeness as well! :lol:

Can't open carry with a XXL extra long (60" from collar to bottom of coat) black leather trench coat, but the 6'3" and weight is certainly real. As far as bridge odor (mostly Night Train and pee...), that's totally covered up by the 40 year old stank of the Gopher being a HEAVY smoking dive bar, and the 50 year old reek of Gopher coneys being cooked on a daily basis.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Return to General Gun Chat