Overpriced guns

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Overpriced guns

Postby 45Badger on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 pm

It's easy. Don't like the price, move on.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:12 pm

No one told Goose Hill yet...
Holland&Holland

Postby tazdevil on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Got a great deal at Reed's. Just saying. Sig P226 Elite Stainless NIB with a few extras for 400 under MSRP of gun alone.

Of course, that's where the Lake Superior gun loss incident came into play. It was only supposed to be a day trip to the big lake after pulling the dock off the little one.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:41 pm

SpiderPig wrote:Totally agree with the OP (and if you don't like his opinion, don't respond to it, don't read it, problem solved, so there :catfight: ).

I know of airplanes, of all things, that sit and deteriorate or businesses that end up with their equipment liquidated for pennies on the dollar and the building falling apart because the seller doesn't get an offer for what they think it's "worth". I have a relative that sold a bunch of stuff to a "used" retailer for peanuts because he turned down better offers until what he had lost most of its value. I guess all you can do is shake your head and move on.

hahaha. AGREEEEED!!!! :thankyou:
sgruenhagen44

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

GeekyGunman wrote:The high availability of the financially gullible willing to pay the high price inflates the value of used hardware for the rest of us. Especially with a pool of buyers the size of the internet.
Capitalism works all right.

If anything, it's these buyers that are the issue though. Why fault the seller for asking more when they know they'll get it?

Anyway, it's still a free country, and it's not like we can (or should) police all the gullible. Even if that happens to be an amusing concept. :lol:
Maybe if you see someone paying too much you can politely offer them a tip on where to find it for less? You're sure to get a dirty look from the seller, but hey - it's a free country right?

Can't do that on MGT. You will get a warning now! unless its a PM
sgruenhagen44

Postby GeekyGunman on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:Can't do that on MGT. You will get a warning now! unless its a PM

I was picturing more like a gun show, since there was a mention of that a couple posts above mine.
I'm imagining one of those tables with a seller far too full of themselves. (This is not ALL tables at shows.)

MGT (and any privately owned site) is NOT a free country. We are given only exactly the rights that our lord overseers see fit.
I would never suggest that you go against the will of our illustrious emperor.

In general, my argument doesn't really apply TOO much here.
I dare say the readership is slightly more informed about what things are worth than the loonies on armsbroker, which is about as low a bar you can possibly set.
GeekyGunman

Postby HeadHunter on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I agree, the problem is the buyer. I quit going to gun auctions around here because of the crazy buyers...I was watching junk, beat to hell, SKS's selling for 2-3 times what I could buy them at Fleet Farm for at the time. I watched even cheap 22's go for 95% of retail and they were WELL used...I wasnt the only one at the auctions that thought there were alot of people passing around the Crack Pipe...

Even when the Kel-Teck PF9 first came out I was finding used ones for $400 and we all know what they go for new...
"My Sickle has a boat tail" -Me
HeadHunter

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 pm

GeekyGunman wrote:
sgruenhagen44 wrote:Can't do that on MGT. You will get a warning now! unless its a PM

I was picturing more like a gun show, since there was a mention of that a couple posts above mine.
I'm imagining one of those tables with a seller far too full of themselves. (This is not ALL tables at shows.)

MGT (and any privately owned site) is NOT a free country. We are given only exactly the rights that our lord overseers see fit.
I would never suggest that you go against the will of our illustrious emperor.

In general, my argument doesn't really apply TOO much here.
I dare say the readership is slightly more informed about what things are worth than the loonies on armsbroker, which is about as low a bar you can possibly set.

I know, I was kinda kidding around. There was a little bit of b***hin when the new rules were put in place. Not that I'm complaining!!!!
sgruenhagen44

Postby promod1385 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm

It's like most things in this world. It's all about what it worth to someone at that moment, not necessarily what you precive it to be worth.

All of the Gunstop fanboys here on MNGT are a great example of this. They love the guy who owns the place and have no problem paying his inflated prices on things like primers an powders. These are the same guys who hate on Gouger Mtn, bottom line they are both running a legitimate business and have a large clientele willing to pay more than retail time and time again.

They both get a gold star in my opinion!
promod1385

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm

promod1385 wrote:

All of the Gunstop fanboys here on MNGT are a great example of this. They love the guy who owns the place and have no problem paying his inflated prices on things like primers an powders.

Have you ever even been to Gunstop? With a statement like that I truly doubt it. The prices aren't more than retail on anything I've ever bought there, and John's (owner) wealth of knowledge and freedom to share it is astounding. Also, no hazmat charges on anything you buy in the store unlike intrawebz purchases. The big guy behind the counter is an ass though. I won't even walk in if he's there and Johnboy isn't. I'm kind of amazed he still has a job.

Also fanboys is kind of a derogatory term. But you already knew that.... didn't you?

:roll:

Oh yeah... I almost forgot. Gander Mountain sucks. ;)
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby plblark on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:20 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
promod1385 wrote:

All of the Gunstop fanboys here on MNGT are a great example of this. They love the guy who owns the place and have no problem paying his inflated prices on things like primers an powders.

Have you ever even been to Gunstop? With a statement like that I truly doubt it. The prices aren't more than retail on anything I've ever bought there, and John's (owner) wealth of knowledge and freedom to share it is astounding. Also, no hazmat charges on anything you buy in the store unlike intrawebz purchases. The big guy behind the counter is an ass though. I won't even walk in if he's there and Johnboy isn't. I'm kind of amazed he still has a job.

Also fanboys is kind of a derogatory term. But you already knew that.... didn't you?

:roll:

Oh yeah... I almost forgot. Gander Mountain sucks. ;)

Real brick and mortar has more expenses than interwebz. Include hazmat, shipping, and then figure in the money John has saved me by helping me with selections and making sure I was thinking things through ... yeah, I don't always buy from Gun Stop but when I do, I happily pay for the product he's really selling.
Last edited by plblark on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 am

John Walton is a National Treasure and if he charges a penny or two more than someone else - that is an investment in your personal safety as far as I am concerned.

If you dont like prices go elsewhere.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby DonT on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:04 am

Wish I had bought some of those overpriced guns 40+ years ago.. $99 Garands, $75.00 1903A3, $300 Colt Diamond backs and the really expsensive $450 Pythons.... Maybe a few $350 Polytech Machined Receiver guns... :shock:

remember todays high prices might be a steal tomorrow... ;) Not in all cases but in many.... All depends on Supply, Demand and Regulations!!!! :cry:

DonT 8-)
DonT
DonT

Postby promod1385 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am

I certainly have been to Gunstop on many occasions. Some times to shop and a few times to purchase things I felt I "needed" a pound of powder here and there to test loads is one thing, $37 per/k for primers is totally another in my opinion (the same primers I paid $32 at Scheels the same day). When I asked Gunstop about there high primer prices they referenced an email from ATK they had posted on the register stating 15-25% increases in prices. I guess Scheels and Hoffys didn't get that memo as there prices have not changed.

Fan boy is not derogatory in my world, it's just a convenient term I use to describe anyone who is a fan of a brand or company regardless of its shortcomings. I would be the first to admit I am a Bowtech and XD fanboy and I have called myself just that in previous posts.
promod1385

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:49 am

And yet, still not over retail.

Unlike Gander.

More than a competitor doesn't mean more than retail.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat