Overpriced guns

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Overpriced guns

Postby banggoes1911 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 am

What's with all the overpricing guns does no one realize that once you have shot a gun once it's used you can't ask retail price for it much less more than retail! Are you just trying to screw over unsuspecting buyers that don't know any better or just hopping some one without a ptp/ptc just wants it that bad? I understand not devaluing a gun but don't try to charge more than what I could get it at a dealer for that's just outrageous
banggoes1911

Re: Overpriced guns

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 am

Don't buy them.

Problem solved.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby solidgun on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 am

It is a free country. If they want to put up some ridiculous price and end up not selling it, it is their right. Don't waste your thoughts on them and their listings. I look at it, chuckle and move on.

Yes, there are unsuspecting buyers out there willing to pay close price to what a dealer would charge not knowing that you don't qualify for warranties, services, reassurance of unmolested firearm, etc.....

But you also need to know that some people are suckered by places like Gander Mountain and forget about great dealers that we see here as GM is a big name with advertising on their side.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Shipyard on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 am

capitalism works well on the interwebs:

an item only brings what someone will pay for it. above or below "retail" price.

as Strad said, don't like it, don't buy it.

i've paid over price for the convienence of getting it immediately or for a host of other reasons.

FWIW - lots of different stuffs happen in a day. so it goes...
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:46 am

Guns and misc other crap. Yeah it is starting to bug me too. I have $500 into it and it is like new, would like to get back what I have into it.... Well sir if I wanted to pay full price I would just go buy one. It in a way cracks me up, but pisses me off too.

There are still plenty of deals to be had.
Last edited by Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sigfan220

Postby ijosef on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 am

Just ignore posts like that. There's a reason why they usually languish on sites like armslist and/or get reposted over and over with no takers. The person usually realizes that they either have to lower the price if they want to sell or just keep the thing.

Then again, Gander Mountain makes a ton of money by selling overpriced guns to the unsuspecting public.
ijosef

Postby TommyMN on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am

Funny. Rediculous pricing just bothered me today as well
TommyMN

Postby JJ on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

So does it bother ya'll that car dealers post an inflated price too?

Those dirty batards :angryvillagers:
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby usnret on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm

The same thing happens at gun shows. Oh wait that's for the convenience of the "gunshow loophole".
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Drizzle on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 pm

It's unfortunate, but a little funny and sad, when someone goes to a show with a wad of bills burning a hole in their pocket, has to buy something, chooses an XD (or Glock or S&W or Ruger) , pays the brand new show price, shoots a box through it, realizes it doesn't fit them at all, and puts it up here for sale at ten bucks less than the price they paid with 'like new' somewhere in the description.

That price is about a hundred bucks more than retail anywhere else. Sorry, I'm not going to buy it to help you fix your mistake. Take a loss on it and move on, and learn to test and research before you buy so you don't have buyer's remorse.
Drizzle

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 pm

JJ wrote:So does it bother ya'll that car dealers post an inflated price too?

Those dirty batards :angryvillagers:

Yeah but the new car smell make it worth it :D The thing that gets me the most is they won't let you leave!!! I had a guy calling me for over a year, even after I told him I picked up a new truck at another dealer.
Sigfan220

Postby SpiderPig on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Totally agree with the OP (and if you don't like his opinion, don't respond to it, don't read it, problem solved, so there :catfight: ).

I know of airplanes, of all things, that sit and deteriorate or businesses that end up with their equipment liquidated for pennies on the dollar and the building falling apart because the seller doesn't get an offer for what they think it's "worth". I have a relative that sold a bunch of stuff to a "used" retailer for peanuts because he turned down better offers until what he had lost most of its value. I guess all you can do is shake your head and move on.
SpiderPig

Postby GeekyGunman on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm

The high availability of the financially gullible willing to pay the high price inflates the value of used hardware for the rest of us. Especially with a pool of buyers the size of the internet.
Capitalism works all right.

If anything, it's these buyers that are the issue though. Why fault the seller for asking more when they know they'll get it?

Anyway, it's still a free country, and it's not like we can (or should) police all the gullible. Even if that happens to be an amusing concept. :lol:
Maybe if you see someone paying too much you can politely offer them a tip on where to find it for less? You're sure to get a dirty look from the seller, but hey - it's a free country right?
GeekyGunman

Postby Halfchrome on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:10 pm

I was a the DNR gun auction this spring and there were guns that sell for $500 new going for $800.... You can't be mad at the sellers if people are willing to pay it. Just mad at yourself for standing out in the cold all day thinking you were going to get some deals only to go home empty handed. I have a friend that has to wait a extra day on all of his gun purchases through FFL since he had to go to court for something that later got dropped. He has his permit to carry as well, but that's just how it is. To someone like him, it may be worth while to pay near retail on a used firearm to not have to make multiple trips to purchase. Also don't forget, you do not have to be hit with tax when buying FTF when they are not a dealer.
Halfchrome

Postby banggoes1911 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:10 pm

I knew I wasn't the only one thinking this thanks for all the great responses my rule of thumb is if it's less than that gun on a gun broker auction ending within the hour it's a deal
banggoes1911

Next

Return to General Gun Chat