The future of shooting

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

The future of shooting

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:11 am

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... -firearms/

Holy crap.

TrackingPoint is a manufacturer of "Intelligent Digital Tracking Scopes" and "Precision Guided Firearms" for hunting and tactical shooting. Their impressive technology allows a shooter to designate a target using the digital scope and the rifle will automatically fire only when the rifle is correctly lined up to the target.

And sexy as hell!!

Complete with practical application:

To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Re: The future of shooting

Postby John Bender on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:34 am

Start saving.
John Bender

Postby JustinPo on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 am

That gazelle kill pic looks fake, I am not saying I am an expert but shadows seem to have multiple sources and those antlers seem too perfectly symmetrical and there seems to be a weird softness to some elements and razor sharp focus on others....
JustinPo

Postby John Bender on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 am

Looks real to me, a professional photo may have more than one light source (sun, strobes, reflectors, etc) and with a shallow depth of field the photo could have objects in focus and others not in focus to emphasize the subject, in this case, the rifle.
John Bender

Postby MasonK on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 am

It's a marketing photo, I'm sure it's been touched up. I doubt they actually took down a gazelle (or that specific gazelle) for the marketing shoot. Setting up the picture probably took a lot of time and a bleeding critter makes for a bad photo to showcase your gun.

It's advertising.
MasonK

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:54 am

JustinPo wrote:That gazelle kill pic looks fake, I am not saying I am an expert but shadows seem to have multiple sources and those antlers seem too perfectly symmetrical and there seems to be a weird softness to some elements and razor sharp focus on others....

I tend to agree, besides did they make the sign before the shot so they could have it, or was it all photoshopped togeteher, pic of animal, pic of rifle,pic of sign.

Most pics like these are fake - just advertising mumbo-jumbo.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am

I wouldn't doubt that the picture was faked - who brings a sign out to the bush that says "1099 yards" - what if it was 1100 or 1098 yards???

The picture being 'shopped to include the sign and/or the gun does not mean the kill was not real with this gun. but it doesn't say it was real either.
Mn01r6

Postby John Bender on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am

It's not hard to make a sign with any lettering on it wherever you may be, vinyl decals or even stencils are very portable, even a printer is very portable these days.

Even if it is fake, unless there's some big giveaway I'll say at this resolution there's simply not enough to go by. All said and done, if it is fake but all the information is correct, who cares really, it looks bad ass.
John Bender

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 am

It's only a matter of time until this becomes a fairly mainstream technology... integrate basic weather/environment gathering info (humidity, wind, etc..) that you can pick up on a $30 outdoor weather station with a laser rangefinding scope (Bushnell, Nikon & Burris already have these in the market), the ability to upload ballistics data on your cartridge/rifle combo and an illuminted reticle on which the correct holdover location could be shown... or the ability for the scope to simply adjust windage and elevation to match range, load and conditions (I assume showing the holdover would be cheaper to implement).
yuppiejr

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:20 am

yuppiejr wrote:It's only a matter of time until this becomes a fairly mainstream technology... integrate basic weather/environment gathering info (humidity, wind, etc..) that you can pick up on a $30 outdoor weather station with a laser rangefinding scope (Bushnell, Nikon & Burris already have these in the market), the ability to upload ballistics data on your cartridge/rifle combo and an illuminted reticle on which the correct holdover location could be shown... or the ability for the scope to simply adjust windage and elevation to match range, load and conditions (I assume showing the holdover would be cheaper to implement).

Looking to the future when technology like this is pretty mainstream, you can imagine the things it can revolutionize. Home defense? Don't need a .357 magnum in the nightstand. Just have an armed quadcopter robot in your house that can autonomously react to events.

It's coming. And it's going to be cool.

Also, hold off on all your "well what about X or Y" arguments. We're talking 20 years in the future when AI and robotics is generations beyond what we have today.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am

Reference the Barrett BORS system.

http://www.barrett.net/optics/bors
OldmanFCSA

Postby Heffay on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Reference the Barrett BORS system.

http://www.barrett.net/optics/bors

This is kind of a step or two beyond that. But it's still pretty cool on its own, and gets the added cool factor for being on a Barrett.
Heffay

Postby Vlad on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 am

[quote="Heffay"
Looking to the future when technology like this is pretty mainstream, you can imagine the things it can revolutionize. Home defense? Don't need a .357 magnum in the nightstand. Just have an armed quadcopter robot in your house that can autonomously react to events.

It's coming. And it's going to be cool.

Also, hold off on all your "well what about X or Y" arguments. We're talking 20 years in the future when AI and robotics is generations beyond what we have today.[/quote]

it is already here... Check out the videos. Imagine having one of these guarding your house. Think non lethal solid balls, balls filled with CS or tracking paint. Turn up the pressure and let them really fly. :twisted: http://www.paintballsentry.com/
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby goalie on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 am

The top of the food-chain will still be occupied by those who can range with a reticle, read a mirage, spin turrets, and squeeze.

So says Mr. Murphy.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby FJ540 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 pm

goalie wrote:The top of the food-chain will still be occupied by those who can range with a reticle, read a mirage, spin turrets, and squeeze.

So says Mr. Murphy.

Yeah, when the batteries crap out and no one is working at walmart any more to restock you, the iron sights folks will hold the advantage.
FJ540

Next

Return to General Gun Chat