Opinions on Side Guard Holsters

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Opinions on Side Guard Holsters

Postby sigsauersauce on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm

So I'm in the market for a IWB holster for a Sig P229. I've read quite a bit in the archives and Side Guard keeps coming up as a preferred name. I like what I see on their website, and I'm pretty interested. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Double Tuck? If so, what would be the main functional difference between going with the clip or snaps versions? Would an IWB style like the Double Tuck be comfortable with a larger frame pistol like the 229 or should I really be looking at concealable OWB options like the High Slide? For reference, I'm about 5'10" and 185lbs. Opinions welcome! Thanks!
"I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law."
sigsauersauce

Re: Opinions on Side Guard Holsters

Postby tt3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Can I offer an opinion even though I don't have a Double Tuck? No? Skip ahead.

Erik makes quality leather. I own two, the OWB double snap is my go to when I carry owb.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Side Guard Holster.
tt3

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Can't tell you on the double tuck but the double snap is very similar and I can tell you it is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn, gun never moves, and it is of the finest workmanship. I use it with an ultra sized 1911.
Holland&Holland

Postby Shipyard on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Side guard is the ****. Exceptional holsters at stupid reasonable price. Decide if you want an in or out based upon how YOU want to carry and order up from there. I prefer the snap holster as its more convieneint for me at times.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Shako Sparky on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:30 pm

I have a super tuck (has clips) which is very close to the same thing except it has kidex and is not all leather. I also have an all leather don hume (has snaps). Both work to hold the holster and gun, but I like the clips much better IMO.
NRA Life Member
Shako Sparky

Postby thunderoussilence on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm

SIDEGUARD ROCKS Erick has done custom jobs for me and they last a lifetime.
thunderoussilence

Postby MNBlackjack on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 pm

I have two. A double snap reinforced for a commander sized 1911 and a double snap for an officer sized 1911. I can wear them for hours and not even know that I am wearing them. Best quality out there and a great person to deal with as well.
FFL
NRA - Lifetime Member
NSSF
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
- Ayn Rand
MNBlackjack

Postby sigsauersauce on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Awesome info guys, keep it coming. Follow up question: What is the functional/practical difference between the snaps vs. clips for a tuck holster? Is one easier to get on/off but less comfortable? Also, in what circumstances would it make sense to spend the extra cash for it to be reinforced? Thanks again, your insight is appreciated!
"I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law."
sigsauersauce

Postby bensdad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I have a couple rigs from Erik. Both are fantastic. My primary daily carry setup is a IWB with a clip. It pops on and off as easy as taking something out of your pocket. Rides comfortable and secure. No worries. Call him. You will be satisfied. Only downside is you'll miss out on the drawer full of holsters that most of us end up with.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby zachkuby87 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 pm

i was completely oblivious to these holsters until now. i was saving for galco rig but now im going to keep my money local and may even go exotic because of the cheap prices..
zachkuby87

Postby plblark on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 pm

There's cheap and then there's inexpensive. Erik does great work at good prices. I have several of his holsters and they just plain work.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby plblark on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 pm

I believe Hoffey's in Woodbury stocks some of Erik's holsters. I'd call ahead and see if they'd check for one that fits your gun
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby westhope on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:11 pm

I have 4 SideGuard holsters. Will buy more.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby zachkuby87 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 pm

plblark wrote:There's cheap and then there's inexpensive. Erik does great work at good prices. I have several of his holsters and they just plain work.

i worded that wrong. excuse me. thanks for the tip ill have to go out there and see what they have..
zachkuby87

Postby plblark on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Nah, No offense taken. I understood what you meant. I just saw an opportunity to make a distinction I usually remind myself when I'm tempted to buy something because it's cheap ;-)
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Next

Return to General Gun Chat