Could they take our guns??

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Could they take our guns??

Postby minnesotahunter on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:03 am

If there is a ban... Do you think they would just stop new sales, or could they also take the ARs that we already have...

Has anything like this happened before?? In previous bans, or in states like California how did they address guns or mags people already had? Are they grandfathered in or what?

Also, if they are made illegal to own, how would they compensate people for their guns they would be giving up?

Thanks
minnesotahunter

Re: Could they take our guns??

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 am

Although I don't typically agree with the administration, even I don't think they are that stupid.

Tune in at 9:45 to see if we have a leg (NRA) to stand on.
Thunder71

Postby LarryP on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 am

They can do whatever they want.
Last ban they were grandfathered in.

IF you had to turn them in, you wouldn't see a dime for them. They could care less about you.
LarryP

Postby CraigJS on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 am

Even the DEMs are smart enough to know they'd never get all of them.. Just piss everyone off.
CraigJS

Postby maddhunter on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:32 am

Great questions all. I was going to ask these same questions this morning myself. I am new to the "modern sporting rifle" world myself, so I am unsure what actually transpired during the most recent ban of 1994-2004. I assume all importation of military surplus semi-auto rifles was completely curtailed and I also assume U.S. manufacturers were not producing said weapons. Someone please share with me on that one.

My other question is what did owners of military style rifles do with theirs during the ban? Were they allowed to use them in public( shooting ranges,varmit hunting,etc) or did they just stand at attention in (hopefully) their respective gunsafes?

I don't know where we, as a community of law abiding gun enthusiats, are headed during these troubling times, but I do know that we need to have a united approach to fend off the anti's and their upcoming solutions. Do whatever you can to lend your support to our cause(petitions started by gun blogs as example). I do not believe it is too late!!!!!!!!!!
maddhunter

Postby goett047 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 am

Can anybody say most one sided civil war ever? That is, IF they would try. It would NOT pass Congress. An exec order would be overturned.
goett047

Postby goett047 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:41 am

goett047

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 am

If they did require all fireamrs to be turned in, I would comply with that order and turn in any I have, unfortunatly, all my firearms fell through the ice yesterday, I guess the lake was not thick enough to support the weight.
Holland&Holland

Postby dleong on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:If they did require all fireamrs to be turned in, I would comply with that order and turn in any I have, unfortunatly, all my firearms fell through the ice yesterday, I guess the lake was not thick enough to support the weight.

Yeah, those Hi-Point pistols are pretty heavy for what they are. Their heft help them soak up recoil pretty nicely, though.

:mrgreen:
dleong

Postby ktech on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:If they did require all fireamrs to be turned in, I would comply with that order and turn in any I have, unfortunatly, all my firearms fell through the ice yesterday, I guess the lake was not thick enough to support the weight.

Wouldn't you know it, I had a similar issue a little while back.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby 45Badger on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:28 pm

maddhunter wrote:Great questions all. I was going to ask these same questions this morning myself. I am new to the "modern sporting rifle" world myself, so I am unsure what actually transpired during the most recent ban of 1994-2004. I assume all importation of military surplus semi-auto rifles was completely curtailed and I also assume U.S. manufacturers were not producing said weapons. Someone please share with me on that one.

My other question is what did owners of military style rifles do with theirs during the ban? Were they allowed to use them in public( shooting ranges,varmit hunting,etc) or did they just stand at attention in (hopefully) their respective gunsafes?

I don't know where we, as a community of law abiding gun enthusiats, are headed during these troubling times, but I do know that we need to have a united approach to fend off the anti's and their upcoming solutions. Do whatever you can to lend your support to our cause(petitions started by gun blogs as example). I do not believe it is too late!!!!!!!!!!

1994 ban had nothing to do with full auto. It addressed what were generically called "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines. These were banned from manufacture and new gun sales. Legal possession and sale of those guns and magazines already in existence were grandfathered."HIgh cap mags" meant anything over 10 rounds, so existing 20 and 30 (and other) magazines were no longer produced. Fixed supply and increasing demand meant they turned to gold.

Same with pre-existing/pre-ban "assault weapons". I forget the exact definition of "assault weapon" in the ban but it was something like this-- If a gun had 2 or more of the following characteristics/features, it was an "assault weapon"- Pistol grip, detachable magazine, collapsible stock, or flash hider. Manufacturers promptly removed the flash hiders and collapsible stocks and.....Voila! That scary and illegal AR15 assault weapon was now a safe and reasonable thing for normal people to own. 8-) We could own and use our pre-1994 ban guns. And nothing really changed but the cost of shooting went up, the price of pre-ban stuff skyrocketed and some self satisfied Senators and bliss-ninnies did a congratulatory circle jerk. And the Republican party had a sweeping victory in the 1994 mid-term elections, taking a majority position in the House of Representatives for the first time in several decades.

Above applied to Federal level. A few states implemented their own bans. This kept the ban in effect in places like NY and CT. California went so far as to require registration of "assault weapons" because reasonable people would have no problem with that. And then outlawed possession a few years later and required owners to turn them in or prove that they had been sold out of the state. So much for reasonable ;)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby LePetomane on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:10 pm

I gave all of mine away.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Sammichman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:09 pm

All of my Guns,Ammunition and loading equipment now sleep with the Fishes
Sammichman

Postby photogpat on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:10 pm

I sold all of mine in the crazy feeding frenzy of December 2012! Bought a brewery! :lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Sammichman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:12 pm

All of my Guns,Ammunition and loading equipment now sleep with the Fishes
Sammichman

Next

Return to General Gun Chat