how to clean optic lenses?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:55 pm

In short, what product/method works best for you to clean your scope or binocular lenses without harming the glass or coatings?
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Re: how to clean optic lenses?

Postby JustinPo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 am

I use generic computer monitor cleaner and a microfiber cloth. The cloth won't scratch the optic and the monitor cleaner has no harsh chemicals in it so it won't mess with the optics coatings and such.
JustinPo

Postby snlit3 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:48 am

Well when I clean my glasses I rub warm water on the glass with soap. Pat it with a cotton cloth, then wipe it with a lens cloth.
snlit3

Postby xd ED on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 am

snlit3 wrote:Well when I clean my glasses I rub warm water on the glass with soap. Pat it with a cotton cloth, then wipe it with a lens cloth.

My method as well.The warm, soapy water lifts any oils, and provides lubrication to help prevent abrasion of the coating.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rugershooter6823 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:41 am

I use the same stuff that you buy at the oakley shop for polarized glasses. I know from experience anything like windex with ammonia in it will start to peel off the polarized coating. And if you buy the $10 bottle you get free refills!
This house is protected by the good lord and a gun.
rugershooter6823

Postby JJ on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:07 am

Rubbing alcohol for general debris/oil, vinegar for any water spots. So I do alcohol to general clean, followed my vinegar for the water spots, followed by vinegar.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby promod1385 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 am

Lens cloth or lens pen here depending on what is available. I have used the alcohol method too it works about the same as a lens wipe. You can get disposable Zeiss brand lens wipes at Walmart for about $4 for a 100. I always keep a few in my range bag as well as my hunting pack.
promod1385

Postby aaron878 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 am

Lens pens work great, and there is no danger of damaging anything or leaving streaks with a liquid cleaner.
aaron878

Postby jshuberg on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:52 pm

I blow the lens with compressed air to remove any particulates, then use an individually sealed pre-moistened lens cloth that you can pickup at Target optical for free. I use a corner of the lens cloth gently around the outside edge of the lens to lift out any debris that has been pushed off to the side. I give it another blast of compressed air, squirt it with a lens cleaner, and wipe down the face of the lens with the cloth.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:28 pm

xd ED wrote:
snlit3 wrote:Well when I clean my glasses I rub warm water on the glass with soap. Pat it with a cotton cloth, then wipe it with a lens cloth.

My method as well.The warm, soapy water lifts any oils, and provides lubrication to help prevent abrasion of the coating.

And any residual soap helps reduce/eliminate fogging too. I used a slightly soapy mixture on my helmet visor years ago for racing in cool/cold weather. Worked very well.
arizona98tj

Return to General Gun Chat