OBAMA SAYS TOP PRIORITY 2013- GUN CONTROL

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: OBAMA SAYS TOP PRIORITY 2013- GUN CONTROL

Postby Scoobyvroom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Sooo... I am kind of a young'n. When the ban of 94 passed was there 2-3 weeks before it kicked in or was it immediate? Uncle want's so sell me his HK91 at a reduced price. I've almost got the cash needed but wondering if I should tell him to just send it and tell him the check is in the mail.
Scoobyvroom

Postby LarryP on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:55 pm

I would get it right away. Nobody knows what will happen next. Can't go by the last ban.
LarryP

Postby NACHO on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:15 am

Shouldn't his top priority be the economy? Just sayin
NACHO

Postby Glenn_S on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 am

You want to do something? Send an email or letter to Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek. He is sitting on the committee with Biden and company to craft these recommendations. He is a local connection and if he is hammered with emails, maybe he can bring that perspective.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby lucycan on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 am

Why does no one point out how well BHOs home turf of Cook County is doing with their extreme guns restrictions?
lucycan

Postby LePetomane on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:55 am

lucycan wrote:Why does no one point out how well BHOs home turf of Cook County is doing with their extreme guns restrictions?

Because the loonies on the left need these crimes to continue to prop up their gun control agenda. They have a built-in marketing device. Karl Marx in his book, Das Kapital, mentions the useful idiots to help advance their agenda by doing the dirty work. Necessary evil to keep the fires burning.
Last edited by LePetomane on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Glenn_S wrote:You want to do something? Send an email or letter to Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek. He is sitting on the committee with Biden and company to craft these recommendations. He is a local connection and if he is hammered with emails, maybe he can bring that perspective.

Sheriff Stanek is an outstanding guy. While I'm sure getting letters from the public is a fantastic thing, he's already someone that's "on our side". I have no doubt that he'll be a voice for responsible firearms owners in the discussions. Not that Biden and friends are going to entertain differing opinions though, I think the whole "panel" thing is just a sham to give their plans for gun control the illusion of credibility.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby coltpython123 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:20 pm

I just hope the people will look at the negative impacts this will bring to our economy. By further destroying more of the US manufacturing and negatively impacting tens of thousands of jobs. the problem is, is that we rightful gunowners are not understood by the large majority of our population that lives in cities and unfortuanatly they are mostly small minded individuals that dont have very many hobbies and all they do is go to work and then come home and listen to everything the liberal media pushes on them. this is just my opinion.
coltpython123

Postby whiteox on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm

I just watched the whole hour of Meet the Press. Gregory had to bring up the topic of guns. It was either the last or the next to the last thing Obama talked about and even then it didn't sound like he was that enthusiastic, kinda going through the motions if you ask me. I'm not naive. I have no doubt Obama WANTS to do Gun Control. But the overall impression I got from the interview is that he knows that its virtually impossible to get it done, and if he tries it now it will kill any chance of getting the other stuff done.

Watching the round table panel discussion after Obama, the general consensus was that the fiscal cliff, the debt ceiling and tax reform were going to occupy Congress for pretty much until the Fourth of July. After that, Obama wants to get immigration done.

If he tries and fails at guns, he'll be neutered for the next three years. Don't get me wrong. I'm blowing up my facebook with pro-gun arguments, writing my legislators, etc. but the overall feeling I got after watching Meet the Press was the teeniest tiniest bit of hope that this will get squashed.

It also became apparent to me that this is not going to end this year, or the next or the decade after that. This is a cultural war. We need to constantly be getting more people involved in shooting. Take a new guy out to shoot your AR and spring for the ammo. Then do it again. The more folks we have with ARs and standard capacity pistols, the better situated we will be.
whiteox

Postby whiteox on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Double tap
whiteox

Postby 2in2out on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 am

whiteox wrote:I just watched the whole hour of Meet the Press. Gregory had to bring up the topic of guns. It was either the last or the next to the last thing Obama talked about and even then it didn't sound like he was that enthusiastic, kinda going through the motions if you ask me. I'm not naive. I have no doubt Obama WANTS to do Gun Control. But the overall impression I got from the interview is that he knows that its virtually impossible to get it done, and if he tries it now it will kill any chance of getting the other stuff done.

Watching the round table panel discussion after Obama, the general consensus was that the fiscal cliff, the debt ceiling and tax reform were going to occupy Congress for pretty much until the Fourth of July. After that, Obama wants to get immigration done.

If he tries and fails at guns, he'll be neutered for the next three years. Don't get me wrong. I'm blowing up my facebook with pro-gun arguments, writing my legislators, etc. but the overall feeling I got after watching Meet the Press was the teeniest tiniest bit of hope that this will get squashed.

It also became apparent to me that this is not going to end this year, or the next or the decade after that. This is a cultural war. We need to constantly be getting more people involved in shooting. Take a new guy out to shoot your AR and spring for the ammo. Then do it again. The more folks we have with ARs and standard capacity pistols, the better situated we will be.

I like your points, and think those are reasonable conclusions.

It's probably a stretch, but I remember snowmobiles getting a real bad reputation in the late 60's and early 70's. It was a bad time for the industry, and snowmobilers recognized that. They made a huge commitment to change the way the public saw snowmobiles - sleds became much quiter, snowmobilers became more respectful of property owners and the trail system was developed. It's a much different environment these days, in spite of the significant amount of power available with the new machines and the lack of respect and courtesy that many snowmobilers seem to have. All of that investment in image and infrastucture has paid dividends for decades.

By the way, I've had friends tell me for years that I needed an AR, but I wasn't convinced until I shot one and saw how easy it was to field strip and clean. It was a lot of fun, and now I know why they tried so hard to convince me.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby BigBlue on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 am

2in2out wrote:It's probably a stretch, but I remember snowmobiles getting a real bad reputation in the late 60's and early 70's. It was a bad time for the industry, and snowmobilers recognized that. They made a huge commitment to change the way the public saw snowmobiles - sleds became much quiter, snowmobilers became more respectful of property owners and the trail system was developed. It's a much different environment these days, in spite of the significant amount of power available with the new machines and the lack of respect and courtesy that many snowmobilers seem to have. All of that investment in image and infrastucture has paid dividends for decades.

And to this day it is a continual effort for snowmobile advocates to try to hold ground by improving or maintaining public perception of the sport. The gains are precariously balanced and subject to slide down the slippery slope at any time. Like guns, snowmobiles have their own army of haters continually marching and rallying against us (environmentalists). Why is it that those who oppose things are always SOOOOOO much more passionate and persistent than those advocating for something? I guess it is true that negative energy really is powerful. :x

BB
BigBlue

Postby JustPlainT on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:17 am

Scoobyvroom wrote:Sooo... I am kind of a young'n. When the ban of 94 passed was there 2-3 weeks before it kicked in or was it immediate? Uncle want's so sell me his HK91 at a reduced price. I've almost got the cash needed but wondering if I should tell him to just send it and tell him the check is in the mail.

Get it asap. The '94 ban is irrelevant for comparison, since it's all going to depend on what the bill says. It could be 'effective as of signing' or it could be 'effective as of date X'. We won't know until it's out in Congress and potentially being passed.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat