08FEB2013 Pro-Gun March on State Capitol

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby 3Spaniels on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:15 am

I was just over at ARF.COM and noticed the posting in the link below. I know nothing other than what the link says. Does anyone know more about it?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1413126

I think I will have to attend.
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok-Matthew Quiggley
3Spaniels

Re: 08FEB2013 Pro-Gun March on State Capitol

Postby solidgun on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:20 am

See you there at 9:55!
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby 3Spaniels on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 am

I'll be the old guy wearing a Beaver Fur Hat. Hope to see you there. What is the parking situation there? I have some mobility issues.
3Spaniels

Postby Irish.40 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 am

Sounds like I'll have to send my certified letter to the capitol. It would seem silly to do this unarmed!
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:48 am

I'm curious how much support this gets from major organizations -- it would not be good to have a small gathering. This is also a month into MN's legislative session - and some DFL leadership appear to be trying to make a stake on gun control this year.

Does anyone know anything about the group behind this?

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Irish.40 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 am

bstrawse wrote:I'm curious how much support this gets from major organizations -- it would not be good to have a small gathering. This is also a month into MN's legislative session - and some DFL leadership appear to be trying to make a stake on gun control this year.

Does anyone know anything about the group behind this?

b

Here is a link to their FB About page. Pretty generic. (http://www.facebook.com/2ndRight/info)
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:40 am

I'll echo Bryan's concerns and add that the weather on 8 Feb is not likely to be conducive to a large, family-friendly gathering.
I've been to the mid-april tax rally's and it's colder than crap many times.

Don't know if this horse can be kept in the barn. But this event needs some serious 2nd thoughts
My $0.02

ETA: 8 Feb falls on a Friday. I find that odd, unless it's somehow significant to the state in which this plan originated.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LePetomane on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 am

I know it is well intended but does it send the message that law abiding citizens will not be armed as the capitols are usually "gun free" zones. Prime fodder for criminals unless they are too lazy to brave the cold.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby 3Spaniels on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 am

xd ED wrote:I'll echo Bryan's concerns and add that the weather on 8 Feb is not likely to be conducive to a large, family-friendly gathering.
I've been to the mid-april tax rally's and it's colder than crap many times.

Don't know if this horse can be kept in the barn. But this event needs some serious 2nd thoughts
My $0.02

ETA: 8 Feb falls on a Friday. I find that odd, unless it's somehow significant to the state in which this plan originated.

I agree on all of the above, but, I want to be there if it is going to happen.
3Spaniels

Postby Heffay on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:19 pm

If you're going to go to this, PLEASE dress nice. A suit would be best. And I'm not referring to a Canadian tuxedo either.

To be treated seriously, you have to look like you're someone who should be treated seriously. Leave your Polaris jacket at home.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby tman on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Heffay wrote:If you're going to go to this, PLEASE dress nice. A suit would be best. And I'm not referring to a Canadian tuxedo either.

To be treated seriously, you have to look like you're someone who should be treated seriously. Leave your Polaris jacket at home.

How about my blaze orange hunting jacket?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Greg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm

LePetomane wrote:I know it is well intended but does it send the message that law abiding citizens will not be armed as the capitols are usually "gun free" zones. Prime fodder for criminals unless they are too lazy to brave the cold.

Then it's time to get your letter in to Capitol security so you can carry there...many of us have had this for years!
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby Maniac117 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Heffay wrote:If you're going to go to this, PLEASE dress nice. A suit would be best. And I'm not referring to a Canadian tuxedo either.

On this, I envisioned an army.. Think we can pull this off? Let's all dress the same!
MP5?
Maniac117

Postby Irish.40 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Suits, really? As for the gun free zone, the statute requires "notification" to carry on the capitol grounds. Here is the excerpt from Mn statute

609.66 Subd. 1g.Felony; possession in courthouse or certain state buildings. (a) A person who commits either of the following acts is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both:
(1) possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives within any courthouse complex; or
(2) possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives in any state building within the Capitol Area described in chapter 15B, other than the National Guard Armory.
(b) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited or restricted by other law to possess a dangerous weapon, this subdivision does not apply to:
(1) licensed peace officers or military personnel who are performing official duties;
(2) persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety, as appropriate;
(3) persons who possess dangerous weapons for the purpose of display as demonstrative evidence during testimony at a trial or hearing or exhibition in compliance with advance notice and safety guidelines set by the sheriff or the commissioner of public safety; or
(4) persons who possess dangerous weapons in a courthouse complex with the express consent of the county sheriff or who possess dangerous weapons in a state building with the express consent of the commissioner of public safety.

This excerpt discussed the state building. I have read somewhere that the entire capitol grounds is gun free. Look it up on google maps, its huge. Be safe and send a notification letter to the MN Commissioner of Public Safety.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
Irish.40

Postby jdege on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Heffay wrote:To be treated seriously, you have to look like you're someone who should be treated seriously. Leave your Polaris jacket at home.

Minnesota in February? Wear what's warm, hell with how it looks.
jdege

Next

Return to General Gun Chat