Different perspective on training?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Different perspective on training?

Postby homerange on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:09 pm

I am relatively new to shooting, having acquired my first rifle 3 years ago and first handgun this year. I have taken a few different training courses: 2-day workshop format, conceal carry, and one:one. I have been continuously seeking out training options, talking to various instructors, but have been overall disappointed with the options, particularly for beginners like myself.

What I see out there is basically two options when it comes to gun training:
1) One-day classes, usually geared for introductory level topics
2) Multi-day workshops, costing thousands of dollars plus ammo plus travel

With both formats, there is no sustained training--it's a one time thing. That is a huge disadvantage.

On the other hand, I hold a second-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. My training consisted of several years of 2-3 practice sessions each week with an expert instructor. New techniques were introduced alongside old techniques being continuously practiced. We had belts (white, yellow, green...) corresponding to the proficiency achieved in certain aspects of the martial art. We studied as a group but it was ultimately up to the instructor to determine one's readiness to advance to higher levels. I paid handsomely for this training, fwiw, and it was well worth it.

I am wondering, why can't I find this equivalent in firearms training? Why can't I find any sustained training classes with predetermined ciriculum that lasts months (or years), not hours? As for me, martial arts training format was extremely effective, and even though I haven't entered a dojo in several years, my defensive techniques are still ever-present and can be relied upon if need be.

Appreciate your feedback.
homerange

Re: Different perspective on training?

Postby river_boater on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 pm

homerange wrote:I am wondering, why can't I find this equivalent in firearms training? Why can't I find any sustained training classes with predetermined ciriculum that lasts months (or years), not hours? As for me, martial arts training format was extremely effective, and even though I haven't entered a dojo in several years, my defensive techniques are still ever-present and can be relied upon if need be.

Appreciate your feedback.

Because it's too expensive.
river_boater

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Take that which was demonstrated in training class and practice; weekly, daily... take a more advanced class, repeat.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jwdominick on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 pm

I agree. I would be nice to see something local like the training camps they have down south.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
jwdominick

Postby TTS on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:42 pm

This is exactly what Sealed Mindset offers, isn't it?
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:01 pm

TTS wrote:This is exactly what Sealed Mindset offers, isn't it?

Kind of...

I've been out there twice to checkout their program. It's almost entirely all dry-fire. In a regular class and a 2 hour one-on-one session I fired exactly 5 rounds total. I'm sure they have a lot to offer, but the 2 hour one-on-one class was setup more as an infomercial for joining their studio than being of any actual benefit to the student. Both times I walked away disappointed. Maybe you need to fork over the $2000 for a membership before getting any useful training. While I'm sure that they know what they're doing and that students can benefit from their training, it's definitely a different animal than most other places I've trained at. YMMV.

If you're looking for an evening class where you can be a Navy Seal and kill Bin Laden, that's your place though!

I shoot several times a week and have also done weekly one-on-one training over several months for newish shooters. Check your PMs.
Last edited by jshuberg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby GunClasses.Net on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm

jshuberg wrote:If you're looking for an evening class where you can be a Navy Seal and kill Bin Laden, that's your place though!

Interesting article on that: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... ying-game/
Excerpt:
The lobby of Sealed Mindset looks more like an expensive spa than a gun range - a spa with custom-made assault rifles mounted on the wall. There's also a babysitting room, so parents can practice their ninja moves when someone else watches the kids. ... Simi Patnaik said she and her husband, Mohit Dewan, bought tickets for the raid at a school fundraiser. ''It just sounded like a really cool event,'' she said.

I gather they dress up a guy in a turbin and robe and you get to splatter him with a paintball gun.
See us for gun training and resources at http://gunclasses.net and http://mnconcealedcarry.com

We also recommend Krav Maga, by IKMF-certified instructors: http://www.kravmagampls.com
GunClasses.Net

Postby river_boater on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm

GunClasses.Net wrote:
jshuberg wrote:If you're looking for an evening class where you can be a Navy Seal and kill Bin Laden, that's your place though!

Interesting article on that: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... ying-game/
Excerpt:
The lobby of Sealed Mindset looks more like an expensive spa than a gun range - a spa with custom-made assault rifles mounted on the wall. There's also a babysitting room, so parents can practice their ninja moves when someone else watches the kids. ... Simi Patnaik said she and her husband, Mohit Dewan, bought tickets for the raid at a school fundraiser. ''It just sounded like a really cool event,'' she said.

I gather they dress up a guy in a turbin and robe and you get to splatter him with a paintball gun.

I was embarrassed just reading that.

ETA: I remember that Bill's Robbinsdale used to run a weekly "tactical" class. It was run by Len Breure. I don't remember exactly why it was shut down, but the new owners (at that time) had something to do with it.
river_boater

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:37 pm

It was actually picked up by Nate Warren for several years, and then by Clay Brisbane for a few after that. Clay was promoted to GM, and with the opening of the Hudson store, it wasn't picked up this season. It's really too bad too, it was a great place to go and practice low light, drawing from concealment, movement, etc in an indoor setting away from the weather. 3 hours for $40 every week was a pretty good deal, but I suspect it wasn't very cost effective for them.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby promod1385 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:09 pm

I would guess expense, lack of facilities and lack of interest are the biggest reason you won't see more regularly scheduled classes.

Competition is the best training I have found! Show up at a USPSA event pay your 10-15 bucks, grip and rip! Hope to see you at the range!
promod1385

Postby sansooshooter on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:45 am

I have without any success tried to find training partners . I have lots of martial arts training . My only professional training came via the army infantry training . I got years ago.
I dry fire train several times a week both handgun and rifle. I have a range in my back yard.
The only way I see for sustained training that wont break the bank is to do it yourself with a couple of other guys.
You can benefit a lot from having a good partner to help spot mistakes and to share ideas with. Also if you take training together .You will both take different perspectives from a class and have things
to work on.
sansooshooter

Postby JustPlainT on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:06 am

You won't find consistent training courses due to the sheer expense of such a facility and what it would cost the students.

What I recommend:

1. Attend at least one class a year, more if you are financially able to do so.
2. Practice with dry firing at home. Remove all ammunition from the room, use "snap caps" or other dummy rounds and practice drawing from concealment, practice trigger control/discipline, etc. If you use any long guns for defensive purposes, practice your techniques with those as well.
3. Purchase training DVDs from reputable instructors. Learn their material and practice with your firearm dry at home.
4. If you are able to practice your techniques live, do so. Not everyone can do so at their local ranges.
5. Shoot live ammunition at least once a month, focus on shooting fundamentals if you are unable to practice your other techniques due to range rules

This is one way that you can keep your skills up on a tighter budget.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby rugersol on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am

homerange wrote:My training consisted of several years of 2-3 practice sessions each week with an expert instructor. New techniques were introduced alongside old techniques being continuously practiced. We had belts (white, yellow, green...) corresponding to the proficiency achieved in certain aspects of the martial art. We studied as a group but it was ultimately up to the instructor to determine one's readiness to advance to higher levels. I paid handsomely for this training, fwiw, and it was well worth it.

I am wondering, why can't I find this equivalent in firearms training?

promod1385 wrote:Competition is the best training I have found! Show up at a USPSA event pay your 10-15 bucks, grip and rip! Hope to see you at the range!

There's yer answer! ;)

It's not unusual for an "A" ("brown belt") to be in your squad, at any of these matches ... happy to critique yer performance ... maybe even offer tips ... maybe even 1:1 help.

A "Master" ("black belt") is somewhat more rare ... and somewhat less "available". However, there's still no charge for "watching"! ;)

Most courses are unique, in a given year ... each, with somewhat varying "challenges".

This type of shooting is a perishable skill! ... if nothing else, these are the "practice sessions" you seek!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby homerange on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:38 am

promod1385 wrote:I would guess expense, lack of facilities and lack of interest are the biggest reason you won't see more regularly scheduled classes.

Competition is the best training I have found! Show up at a USPSA event pay your 10-15 bucks, grip and rip! Hope to see you at the range!

How does the training actually happen at a USPSA event? Are you taught techniques prior to competing or is it just a matter of "immersion", being around better shooters?
homerange

Postby homerange on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 am

JustPlainT wrote:You won't find consistent training courses due to the sheer expense of such a facility and what it would cost the students.

What I recommend:

1. Attend at least one class a year, more if you are financially able to do so.
2. Practice with dry firing at home. Remove all ammunition from the room, use "snap caps" or other dummy rounds and practice drawing from concealment, practice trigger control/discipline, etc. If you use any long guns for defensive purposes, practice your techniques with those as well.
3. Purchase training DVDs from reputable instructors. Learn their material and practice with your firearm dry at home.
4. If you are able to practice your techniques live, do so. Not everyone can do so at their local ranges.
5. Shoot live ammunition at least once a month, focus on shooting fundamentals if you are unable to practice your other techniques due to range rules

This is one way that you can keep your skills up on a tighter budget.

Very practical, thank you.

[Edit]
I found this article on improving shooting skills which affirms much of what is outlined by JustPlainT.
Last edited by homerange on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerange

Next

Return to General Gun Chat