Gun Stop Mtka- TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby LarryP on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I should say NO customer service. Second time this has happened to me.
Stopped in today to buy a handgun. Not busy at all. I'm a paitent guy, I was the only one at the counter.
two people were standing there talking, one behind the counter. He see's me looking at the guns in the case. I look at him- I figure I'll wait sinces he's talking.

Waited 10 min. Other Guy finally left, guy at the counter walks right by me and ignores me. I don't know where he went. He never said a word. I looked at rifles, etc, passing time. He still didn't return.

I said heck with this crap! What a terrible salesman. Never tried asking if I need help etc.

I waited another 10 minutes for him to return, never did, then I left. I'm Still the only person at the gun cases. I'll never set foot in that store again!

He should of said "I'll be right back" --With you in a minute etc.-- Doesn't deserve my money.

Others rant about Gunstop, but I think they stink!!
LarryP

Re: Gun Stop Mtka- TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Postby sawgrass on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Wow, I'm sorry that you had that experience there.

I've found them to be one of the best! Larry has gone out of his way to accommodate my addiction.

He has ordered guns for me and always been available for questions. He returns phone calls promptly and has held anything
that I've wanted to research before purchasing. There aren't better prices around.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby XDM45 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I've only been in the place one time in my life (and that was before the closing and re-opening of it). I had a fine experience. They had some things no one else in town did (specially, 13-round high-capacity magazines for my XDm .45 vand Mark III mags for my Ruger 22/45). The staff seems nice, responsive, etc. I'm not negating your experience, only saying that I haven't shared it. Is it your first time going there, or have you been there before?

I understand first impressions (and that you never get a chance for another one), so perhaps that's just the way it is for you at Gun Stop.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby The Lance on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm not saying you should give them another chance, because there are other shops in the area that would gladfully take your money and provide great service.

But I would definitely say something to the employees so they can fix their service issues because thats recockulus (it's a few steps above ridiculous)
Last edited by The Lance on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby Glenn_S on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 pm

My first time in there was the same as Larry's. Now this was under the former management but it still pushed me elsewhere.

I wont say I was treated badly, just ignored like Larry. This was early to mid-summer this year.

I have since purchased 3 rifles and 3 handguns, all at places other than Gun Stop.

I figured it was the type of place where they get to know you and then will have a conversation with you. I just let my dollars speak rather than put effort into businesses that dont want my business.

YMMV...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby sansooshooter on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 am

The ignoring you seems to be common at many gun-shops. I have been ignored at many over the years and always share my experience with my fellow gun buyers.
I have found a good steady stare at the employee that's ignoring you works wonders and you usually get a nervous can I help you?
You guys behind the counter will get more sales if you start a conversation with the customers !
Hell there's a gun shop in Isanti . That you get a down right hostile feeling from the guy that owns it. I know that has cost him sales from friends of mine.
That live in Isanti. I and they have not set foot in that shop for at least 3 years.
sansooshooter

Postby wildfan1 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 am

If you know what you want, give your local FFL a try. I know of Thunderjohn, grousemaster, myself, and I'm sure there are others here, that would love your business, and the small FFLs like us usually have excellent pricing, and customer service is our top priority, as that's what brings our customers back and keeps us in business

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
wildfan1

Postby RJWesleyIII on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:38 am

That's the way to go^^^
RJWesleyIII

Postby Kosh on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 am

I would call them typical. They are gruff old gun guys that really only want to talk to their buddies or hard core gun people. If you are a noob they seem to smell it on you and ignore you. If I was a manager reading this I would definitely see an opportunity in improving this to increase sales.

The reloading side is a whole different story. That side is great.

I have been impressed with Arnzen's customer service in EP.
Kosh

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 am

The lure of the old Gunstop (gun side) was the prices and ability/willingness to locate harder to find peices for you. Decent prices on both new and used and a fair transfer fee if you bought it online. CS was never one of their strong suits. If you are looking for that there are others stores to get that but it will cost you.
Holland&Holland

Postby justinvan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 am

I spend a fair amount of time there and have always had good service....sorry to hear about your bad experiance.
justinvan

Postby sawgrass on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 am

There is mention of the old GS and the new GS. As far as I can tell there isn't much difference.
Howard owned it, he died and his wife had Larry manage it for several years.
She wanted out so now it's Larry's business. Larry is the only guy that I've dealt with either way.

Since the CT shooting every time I've been in there it was so busy it was difficult to get to the counter.
The Frontiersman was so busy the other day it was hard to get through the door.
Bill's is packed, and Arnzen Arms has bare walls where the AR's hung. Everyone at AA is very friendly, btw.
A little different in that regard. You are greeted by Gin the dog and then a person.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby heavy metal daze on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 am

I find that taking out a big wad of bills and counting them while looking at a particular gun gets the attention extremely fast. :lol:
No particular store, just my experience being somewhat young and generally ignored at gun shops.
heavy metal daze

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 am

sawgrass wrote:There is mention of the old GS and the new GS. As far as I can tell there isn't much difference.

I don't disagree with you but I do think that there is a difference. It was not just a change in ownership. The entire inventory was wiped out and the new inventory was Larry's personal collection. As nice as some of those peices were, it was limited. It will take time for it to be the mecca that it once was. Time will tell and I hope there will be aday where it looks and feels like the same old GS. Larry is a standup guy and was always great to deal with and I hope to deal with him again.
Holland&Holland

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:40 am

Just out of curiosity did you happen to wave/say hello, etc? I've had a similar discussion with my wife and standing around being angry/blowing me up with her mind is generally not an effective strategy if she would like a specific grievance addressed. Break out of your fortress of solitude and ask for some help if you want something next time perhaps?

Maybe I'm more assertive so I don't really see the problem here, if I'm in a store and want help I simply find someone who works there and ask it. Gunstop has a lot of customers / tire-kickers who will breeze in, look through the racks-cases and walk back out without needing any assistance, perhaps you were mistaken for one of these sorts because you were exhibiting exactly this behavior? I've been through the store for a browse-through trip more than once without saying a word to anyone but John on the way in/out the front door and thought nothing of it. I've done the same thing at Frontiersman and Capras and thought nothing of it (minus the John part of course), I assume they have other things to do like paperwork or trying to find more stuff to sell if I don't have an immediate need for their time/energy.

If they misrepresented the condition of a product, double charged your credit card, didn't handle a product issue correctly or were rude during an interaction I would be more interested in hearing about it but this seems like a pretty weak-sauce reason to post a bad review about their business. To each their own...
yuppiejr

Next

Return to General Gun Chat