Is the panic over?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Is the panic over?

Postby greenfarmer on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

around 1:30 today we were at scheels in St.Cloud, and they had around 20 boxes of 5.56 PMC there. Brass case. My nephew grabbed 6, i grabbed 8, and another guy took 4 before i could get my hands on it. Also stopped at little crow in Hutchinson, and they had some Remington .223 there, and a 2 box limit, so we each grabbed 2 boxes. Katy said they have enough to make 25 customers happy, but that's it. That was around 3:45 today. Scheels also had alot of Pmags for 24.99 as well. Gen 2, windowed.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby XDM45 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:08 pm

grousemaster wrote:There was 9mm, .40, and .45 on the shelf at Walmart in Duluth today....didn't buy any cause I have plenty. 9mm Federal was up to $13.88 a box, damn!!!

There was .45ACP and you didn't buy any?

I'm going to cry now. I would have got it from ya plus some extra for your hassle. DAMN IT!! Do you not know I worship at the alter of the .45ACP god? (GRIN)
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 pm

XDM45 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:There was 9mm, .40, and .45 on the shelf at Walmart in Duluth today....didn't buy any cause I have plenty. 9mm Federal was up to $13.88 a box, damn!!!

I'm going to cry now. I would have got it from ya plus some extra for your hassle. DAMN IT!! Do you not know I worship at the alter of the .45ACP god? (GRIN)

I think it was $20.88 per 50 for Federal Champion
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 pm

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

I think it was $20.88 per 50 for Federal Champion

So .41 or .42 a round. I paid .45 for my last batch. I'd have paid that. :(
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Yankee John on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 pm

My local WM (New Ulm) has been pretty good the last few weeks- I've been able to get 9mm and .45 auto regularly.

Today was incredible. Dozens of boxes of 9mm and .45 Winchester white box and Federal, in both 50 round and 100 round value packs. There was even a few boxes of Winchester .45 JHP!

They always have tons of .380 and .40 on the shelf at any given time. No .22lr or .223 today, but they did get some last week- The .223 actually stayed on the shelf for a few days!

I grabbed two boxes of Federal 9mm 100rd value packs at $21.37 per, and one 50 rd box of .45 Tulaammo BrassMaxx for $9.97 (3 box limit in effect).

John
Yankee John

Postby XDM45 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Yankee John wrote:My local WM (New Ulm) has been pretty good the last few weeks- I've been able to get 9mm and .45 auto regularly.

Today was incredible. Dozens of boxes of 9mm and .45 Winchester white box and Federal, in both 50 round and 100 round value packs. There was even a few boxes of Winchester .45 JHP!

They always have tons of .380 and .40 on the shelf at any given time. No .22lr or .223 today, but they did get some last week- The .223 actually stayed on the shelf for a few days!

I grabbed two boxes of Federal 9mm 100rd value packs at $21.37 per, and one 50 rd box of .45 Tulaammo BrassMaxx for $9.97 (3 box limit in effect).

John

You could have gone out to the car, dropped off your purchases, gone back in, grabbed more ammo, gone to a new cashier. Much like magazine bans and how worthless and ineffective they are, so too is that at WalMart since there's no real way to enforce it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Yankee John on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

WM in New Ulm keeps their ammo in a locked cabinet, so you have to ask the department manager to get it out for you. If you don't have any other shopping to do, They ring you out right there, Otherwise they take your ammo to a designated checkout for you, while you finish up your other shopping.

I actually am quite OK with the 3 box per day limit: I have no doubt that I wouldn't have been able to regularly get 9mm & .45 ammo over the last several weeks if they didn't have the limit. Without the limit, the ammo resellers would have scooped it all up before I had a chance to get to the store.

fwiw

John
Yankee John

Postby XDM45 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Yankee John wrote:WM in New Ulm keeps their ammo in a locked cabinet, so you have to ask the department manager to get it out for you. If you don't have any other shopping to do, They ring you out right there, Otherwise they take your ammo to a designated checkout for you, while you finish up your other shopping.

I actually am quite OK with the 3 box per day limit: I have no doubt that I wouldn't have been able to regularly get 9mm & .45 ammo over the last several weeks if they didn't have the limit. Without the limit, the ammo resellers would have scooped it all up before I had a chance to get to the store.

fwiw

John

Yeah they have it on the open shelves (when it's in for a few seconds) at the WalMart near me. Nothing is locked up. Even so, meh. I'd rather just order it online. If I can get it in a store with cash, cool, I'm always up for buying more ammo.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Fast351 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Yankee John wrote:I grabbed two boxes of Federal 9mm 100rd value packs at $21.37 per, and one 50 rd box of .45 Tulaammo BrassMaxx for $9.97 (3 box limit in effect).
John

I'd buy 100 round packs at 21.37 all day long, that's a good price for Federal brass cased ammo. I was paying $215 per 1000 round case for American Eagle 9 (same stuff) before the insanity and happy to do it.

Hopefully in a month or so the stock levels come back up and normal case at a time buying can resume.
Fast351

Postby Yankee John on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm

I made a typo- The .45 BrassMaxx was $19.97 for the 50rd box. Sorry!

Yeah, I like the Federal too. Especially since its made up in Anoka! :bravo:

John
Yankee John

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:33 am

This morning, about 1030 Midway sent a notification that SM Rifle Primers were in stock. When I attempted to buy at 1130; they were completely sold out.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby grousemaster on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 am

XDM45 wrote:
Yankee John wrote:WM in New Ulm keeps their ammo in a locked cabinet, so you have to ask the department manager to get it out for you. If you don't have any other shopping to do, They ring you out right there, Otherwise they take your ammo to a designated checkout for you, while you finish up your other shopping.

fwiw

John

Yeah they have it on the open shelves (when it's in for a few seconds) at the WalMart near me. Nothing is locked up. Even so, meh. I'd rather just order it online. If I can get it in a store with cash, cool, I'm always up for buying more ammo.

The Walmart in Shakopee does indeed lock up some of the ammo. It's in the cabinet under the sporting goods counter. I've spent too many hours of my life at the Shakopee (or is it in Savage?) Walmart waiting for someone to come back and unlock the damn cabinet. They only lock up 9mm, .40, and .45. The good old days when you could plan a trip to BPR and just grab ammo on the way there.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 am

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

fwiw

John

The Walmart in Shakopee does indeed lock up some of the ammo. It's in the cabinet under the sporting goods counter. I've spent too many hours of my life at the Shakopee (or is it in Savage?) Walmart waiting for someone to come back and unlock the damn cabinet. They only lock up 9mm, .40, and .45. The good old days when you could plan a trip to BPR and just grab ammo on the way there.

Well, it may look locked, but it's not. I go right in it every time I'm there. You're talking the WalMart over by Sam's Club, right?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes. I was under the impression that digging under the counter in their cabinets was for employees only...
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:15 pm

grousemaster wrote:Yes. I was under the impression that digging under the counter in their cabinets was for employees only...

/rant_on

pffffft. I'm a big boy and can legally carry a gun, I can get my own ammo too :)

I've had them say "We're supposed to get that for you" and I've replied to the teenager/20-something who working there that "I'm not going to wait 15 minutes for someone to possibly, maybe show up and help me out. If it needs to be secure, lock it up." The employee replied they used to lock it, but they kept losing the keys or someone would take them home with them, etc. so by their own choice, they leave it unlocked because they are too stupid to be able to get at their own ammo when they need to.

Sorry, I don't mean to have an attitude, it's not at you, it's at the bs people delve out in the name of "it's company policy" or some other such responsibility deflecting diversionary working or tactic, "just doing my job", etc.

When I asked why they only lock up some of the ammo and not all of it; all I got was: "It's the rules". Are they effen kidding me? So they are following rules without understanding why the rules are in place or who exactly put them there or why? ******** NTPs (Non-Thinking People/Personnel - aka "Sheeple")

Furthermore, it's really not an effective rule to begin with, just like a magazine ban based on capacity. If they wanted to better protect it, they'd have someone stationed there. Better still, locking up all the ammo too and have someone station there, but they do neither one. It's akin to the "No guns allowed on these premises" signs. You aren't supposed to bring guns in there, but unless it's prohibited by law (like federal buildings, post office, etc) the signs haven't any force of law (at least in MN.WI is a different story.).

Not locking up the ammo and expecting people to not get it themselves just because it's underneath a counter is "feel good" measure, security theater, pointless hopefulness that people will obey useless, arbitrary rules, etc.

Their attitude is that "We leave the ammo unlocked, but you're not to supposed to get it yourself. It's underneath a counter, so it's "secure" behind those unlocked doors. We keep it that way vs on the shelves because it's "safer"

So hide the .45ACP, but the .223 that is used in the "assault weapons" used in so many spree killings can be on the shelf?

Oh please... GTF out of my way.

Sounds like the ammo is much safer in my hands than theirs anyway. I have never lost the keys to or been locked out of my own ammo.

/rant_off

Again, I'm sorry grousemaster, not venting at you, just at the pure effen stupidity. Of course at a WalMart once when I tried to return some CD-Rs, the chick behind the counter told me they couldn't take them back because of copyright laws and they were opened. (They didn't work with my burner at the time, so I wanted to return them.) I asked "They are BLANK MEDIA. How for the love of all that is unholy, am I breaking the law when there's nothing on them that is copywritten to begin with????" She just repated herself. Great. Another NTP. I spoke a manager, problem solved, refund given.

If there was a place closer that had a volume of ammo, I'd buy it there. Now I only stop in and get it if I see it and can get it vs using WalMart as my main ammo depot, now I just buy it online and get as much ammo as I want. Less stressful.

Anyway, in short, eff them. Go underneath the counter. Maybe you have tolerance for such crap, but I don't. I will follow rules if I deem them worthy of following based on logic and reasoning. I follow rules and laws by my own choice, not that of others.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat