CCW Friendly Winter Coat

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

CCW Friendly Winter Coat

Postby Rand McNally on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 am

Good morning everyone.

I'm in the market for a new winter jacket. I was thinking this weekend it would be nice to have a winter jacket that was a little more convenient when carrying; I'm thinking maybe a zippered side or a breakaway side for access to holster, a couple inside pockets for either backup or extra mag/flashlight, etc.

I have looked at the 5.11 jackets, but they scream gun in my opinion. Anyone have any other ideas?
Rand McNally

Re: CCW Friendly Winter Coat

Postby tman on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 am

I leave my coat unzipped, mostly.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby photogpat on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am

I have a medium weight zip up the front shorter coat that I wear most of the time in the winter, warmer weather its unzipped, colder zipped up -- and a Columbia 3/4 length Parka when its really cold.

Both options complicate a draw from an IWB holster -- but plenty of unloaded drawing practice with gloves on and off has really helped me get the motions down. Anything you choose...make sure you're unloaded with ammo in another room, and practice about 50 times!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

CCW Friendly Winter Coat

Postby aaron878 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Rand McNally wrote:I have looked at the 5.11 jackets, but they scream gun in my opinion. Anyone have any other ideas?

For what it's worth even ridiculous 5.11 garb like their huge nylon belts are only conspicuous to other gun people. The other 98% have no clue.

Out of curiosity I looked at the 5.11 coats, and other than saying 5.11 they looked no different than any other coat to me. Very expensive and I wouldn't buy one, but if does what you need don't let the "gun screaming" deter you, it's all in your head.
aaron878

Postby 45Badger on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 pm

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/inde ... ry-jacket/

Looks like a carhartt jacket. Has two chest pockets/holsters with velcro seals.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby plblark on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Any parka. J-frame in pocket holster in left front pocket. gives you time to get to whatever artillery you have under the coat ...
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Paul on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:41 pm

plblark wrote:Any parka. J-frame in pocket holster in left front pocket. gives you time to get to whatever artillery you have under the coat ...

If I'm left handed can I reverse that, or does the whole thing just go to **** at that point?
Paul

Postby plblark on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Paul wrote:
plblark wrote:Any parka. J-frame in pocket holster in left front pocket. gives you time to get to whatever artillery you have under the coat ...

If I'm left handed can I reverse that, or does the whole thing just go to **** at that point?

If it was anyone else, I'd say Off hand or Weak hand or non-dominant hand or "other-strong hand" and expect them to get the gist of the message without ingesting a whole bunch of nits. For you though, the plan would go to **** at that point.

Well played sir :-)

Actually, I'm so incredibly right hand dominant that it causes serious issues unless I practice often.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Rand McNally on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm

I was thinking something that would allow me to leave my handgun in its holster on my hip so that I wouldn't have to move it around when putting on/taking off my jacket. I thought about just throwing my LCP in my coat pocket and then having my normal carry gun on my hip, but then I have to worry about a gun not being on my person and I don't like that idea. I guess I'll just buy a new jacket and have the right side cut and install a zipper so I can access when I need. Too bad I don't know how to sew, I could create my own and sell them.
Rand McNally

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 am

I carry my xd9 sc in my inner left breastpocket of my carhartt and it fits perfect. I forget it's there most of the time. draws real easy.
zachkuby87

Postby zachkuby87 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 am

I carry my xd9 sc in my inner left breastpocket of my carhartt and it fits perfect. I forget it's there most of the time. draws real easy.
zachkuby87

Postby TommyMN on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 am

I wear a light snowmobile jacket. Full size glock fits in a few.
TommyMN

Postby MNGunGuy on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 am

My North Face coat (mountain light) has two napoleon pockets that fit my carry just fine. I could squeeze a full size in there if I wanted to.
MNGunGuy

Postby rugersol on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 am

I got this a couple years ago ... I like it ... http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/carhartt-men-s-flannel-lined-sandstone-santa-fe-jacket/0000000000290 ...

... mine's dark blue ... they used to have a few different colors ... also mine's "quilt lined" ... not "flannel" ... could be they don't make it no more?! Anyhow, I wear tall sizes ... fer anyone else, I'd guess that wouldn't hurt? In fact, I don't know why they jest don't make everything tall?! :| Not that I've had to draw, wearin' it, too much ... but, I feel much more comfortable about the notion, than with a longer coat I used to wear!

I also like the carhartt stuff ... they're not overly bulky or hot whilst indoors (like walkin' around Fleet Farm ;) ) ... yet, outside, there ain't much that keeps me warmer! ... I even wore it ice-fishing a few weeks ago when it was like 0°.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby snlit3 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 am

oakley coat. 3 pay checks. thats how i roll.
snlit3

Next

Return to General Gun Chat