the new panic... hr 241

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: the new panic... hr 241

Postby ktech on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 am

I plan to attend Tuesday at 8:30a for sure, possibly more - anybody wanting to carpool from the SW Metro and maybe grab lunch afterwards? Parking by the capitol can be expensive and hard to find.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Need4Speed on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

Got mine qued up. Who do I sent it to?

To whom it may concern:
My name is XXX. I am 50 years old, and have lived in Minnesota my whole life. I am married with four older children, and have worked since I was 14. I have not so much as a misdemeanor on my record, same as all my family members. I consider myself a good citizen, pay my share of taxes and do not cause any trouble.

Recently myself and my three adult boys have taken up “sport shooting” as a hobby. Between the four of us we own several of what may be considered “assault rifles”, as well as some handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles. I have also become concerned about self defense, and as an added benefit these guns give me a sense of security. Although my neighborhood is generally considered safe, I keep one of my pistols close at hand in my bedroom. The world has become an unsafe place, but I am much better prepared for it than I was a few years ago.

I have signed up on a couple of online gun enthusiast forums, where as you can imagine the talk of gun control measures is a hot topic. I can tell you that gun owners are a close knit bunch, much like actual family members. They stick together, and come voting time they will most certainly vote with their second amendment rights as their first concern.

The latest news I see on one forum is legislation HF241. As I understand it, if this legislation passes I will be considered a criminal if I do not comply. I would be required to give up a large portion of the guns I LEGALLY own, and we would be left with a single shot shotgun I bought when I was 20 years old, and a couple of WW2 Russian rifles for home defense. This deeply concerns me. These weapons are no match for what CRIMINALS would be armed with in the event my home was broken into, and I was forced to defend my family. Even a criminal armed with as little as a knife could get the upper hand on me if I am forced to use clucky old guns that are fun to play with on the range, but ill suited for self defense. I think I speak for many others when I say that I will NOT give up my right to defend my family, especially on my own property.

I believe there are some parts of the gun control measures that make perfect sense. Background checks at gun shows and mental health assessments to name a couple. The restrictions on the firearms themselves do not make sense. This bill would ban semi-automatic pistols or rifles that have more than a 7 round capacity. Well….that is pretty much all of them. Recently there was a news story of a woman that defended her child against an intruder. She emptied her handgun, firing 6 rounds at this person, hitting him with 5. He was in good enough shape to escape. That was a single intruder. What if he was not alone? I totally agree that a 30 round magazine is not needed for hunting, but in a home invasion it would most certainly be required if there were multiple attackers, or even a sufficiently motivated single attacker.

Please use some common sense when considering this bill. I understand why gun control measures are again being considered. As a father of four I am concerned about their safety. I feel for the people who lost their children, wives and husbands in the recent shootings. Please do not let the acts of a few nutcases and mentally unstable people drive your decision. Your vote can make the state of MN potentially very unsafe for thousands of law-biding citizens!!!

You can also be sure that I will vote as other second amendment users vote. If that doesn’t work I will also vote with my taxes, and move to a state that does support its citizens and does not give the upper hand to criminals. I won’t be the only one, my feelings on this matter are not unique.

Do these criminals vote and pay taxes? Will they turn in their weapons if they become illegal? I think not.
Need4Speed

Postby XDM45 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am

Need4Speed wrote:Got mine qued up. Who do I sent it to?

To whom it may concern:
My name is XXX. I am 50 years old, and have lived in Minnesota my whole life. I am married with four older children, and have worked since I was 14. I have not so much as a misdemeanor on my record, same as all my family members. I consider myself a good citizen, pay my share of taxes and do not cause any trouble.

Recently myself and my three adult boys have taken up “sport shooting” as a hobby. Between the four of us we own several of what may be considered “assault rifles”, as well as some handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles. I have also become concerned about self defense, and as an added benefit these guns give me a sense of security. Although my neighborhood is generally considered safe, I keep one of my pistols close at hand in my bedroom. The world has become an unsafe place, but I am much better prepared for it than I was a few years ago.

I have signed up on a couple of online gun enthusiast forums, where as you can imagine the talk of gun control measures is a hot topic. I can tell you that gun owners are a close knit bunch, much like actual family members. They stick together, and come voting time they will most certainly vote with their second amendment rights as their first concern.

The latest news I see on one forum is legislation HF241. As I understand it, if this legislation passes I will be considered a criminal if I do not comply. I would be required to give up a large portion of the guns I LEGALLY own, and we would be left with a single shot shotgun I bought when I was 20 years old, and a couple of WW2 Russian rifles for home defense. This deeply concerns me. These weapons are no match for what CRIMINALS would be armed with in the event my home was broken into, and I was forced to defend my family. Even a criminal armed with as little as a knife could get the upper hand on me if I am forced to use clucky old guns that are fun to play with on the range, but ill suited for self defense. I think I speak for many others when I say that I will NOT give up my right to defend my family, especially on my own property.

I believe there are some parts of the gun control measures that make perfect sense. Background checks at gun shows and mental health assessments to name a couple. The restrictions on the firearms themselves do not make sense. This bill would ban semi-automatic pistols or rifles that have more than a 7 round capacity. Well….that is pretty much all of them. Recently there was a news story of a woman that defended her child against an intruder. She emptied her handgun, firing 6 rounds at this person, hitting him with 5. He was in good enough shape to escape. That was a single intruder. What if he was not alone? I totally agree that a 30 round magazine is not needed for hunting, but in a home invasion it would most certainly be required if there were multiple attackers, or even a sufficiently motivated single attacker.

Please use some common sense when considering this bill. I understand why gun control measures are again being considered. As a father of four I am concerned about their safety. I feel for the people who lost their children, wives and husbands in the recent shootings. Please do not let the acts of a few nutcases and mentally unstable people drive your decision. Your vote can make the state of MN potentially very unsafe for thousands of law-biding citizens!!!

You can also be sure that I will vote as other second amendment users vote. If that doesn’t work I will also vote with my taxes, and move to a state that does support its citizens and does not give the upper hand to criminals. I won’t be the only one, my feelings on this matter are not unique.

Do these criminals vote and pay taxes? Will they turn in their weapons if they become illegal? I think not.

Write your Feds here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mai ... 26&type=ML

Write your State pres here: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/iss ... 81&type=ML

Don’t just email, call them as well!!

Your Minnesota legislators are:

Representative Michael Beard (R - 55A)
rep.mike.beard@house.mn
Phone: 651-296-8872

Senator Eric Pratt (R - 55)
sen.eric.pratt@senate.mn
Phone: 651-296-4123

Your Federal representatives are:

U.S. Representative John Kline (R - 2)
Phone: (952) 808-1213 / (888) 808-6644

Senator Al Franken (D)
Phone: (651) 221-1016

Senator Amy Klobuchar (D)
Phone: 1-888-224-9043
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby photogpat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am

There may be lunch at the Gopher during the break -- bring cash.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby tt3 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 am

Anyone interested in riding with me and the squirt? I have to be back in Coon Rapids by 2, though. I have NO idea where I'll park, where I'm going... anything. I do know I have to drive because of the carseat.
tt3

Postby photogpat on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

Where do I park when I visit the Capitol?
Public metered parking is available at Lot Q, north of the Capitol at Cedar Street and Sherburne Avenue; Lot AA, across from the State Office Building at Aurora Avenue and Rice Street; and the orange level of the Centennial Building Ramp at Cedar Street and Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. All-day parking is available in Lot Q and the Centennial ramp. Public street metered parking is available along John Ireland Boulevard and Fuller Avenue, which are near the Transportation Building. St. Paul meter patrols will issue tickets for expired parking. The Administration Department provides maps and information on the cost of parking. Also, see the parking locations on this map.

Senate Media Services has a video about parking at the Capitol.

Outdoor disability parking is available in Lot N, which is on the northwest side of the Capitol, and in Lot F. Indoor disability parking is available on the blue level of the Centennial Office Building Ramp; and on the entry level of the Administration Building Ramp (two stalls).

Since parking is limited during legislative sessions, busing may be easier. Freeway express bus service is available. Call the Metropolitan Transit Commission (MTC), (612) 827-7733, for your specific route information.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby BlkVooDoo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

I just received a call from David Hann (SD48). He is well aware of the issues, he is against and will not vote for any further gun restrictions. He stated that it is very unlikely that any sort of gun control measure will pass. He said that it could get through the House, but the Senate Majority leader is against any new laws pertaining to gun control. He was a very nice and polite.

I am curious to has how he got my cell phone number as I have not included it on any of my emails. (cue the black helicopters)
BlkVooDoo

Postby AlephZero on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

BlkVooDoo wrote:I just received a call from David Hann (SD48). He is well aware of the issues, he is against and will not vote for any further gun restrictions. He stated that it is very unlikely that any sort of gun control measure will pass. He said that it could get through the House, but the Senate Majority leader is against any new laws pertaining to gun control. He was a very nice and polite.

I am curious to has how he got my cell phone number as I have not included it on any of my emails. (cue the black helicopters)

This is comforting to hear, thanks for the information. Of course that doesn't mean I'll be letting up on my emails and phone calls. :)
AlephZero

Postby sansooshooter on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Past experience tells me . When the politicians say its very unlikely to pass . That means do not let up for one iota or there will be a last minute deal !
The political class is truly becoming our ruling class and care little for common sense or practicality in their drive for complete control of the serf's.
sansooshooter

Postby BigBlue on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Do NOT let up one bit in the campaign against this crap. Keep calling, writing and, more importantly, telling everyone you know to do the same. I've contacted dozens of my friends via e-mail, Facebook, as well as verbally and I also provided information (and impetus) to my gun club to contact membership about the situation.

If you are a member of a gun club or range and you have not seen communication from the club to membership warning them of the issue please contact the board and urge them to do so. Point out that the proposed legislation would materially affect all members and would actually eliminate some whole categories of shooting sports.

This is serious and the antis need a ******** black eye out of this. Along with a bloody nose. Just to remember the hornets nest they are stirring up.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Need4Speed on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:17 am

Reply from Amy Klobuchar:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on guns. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important and timely issue.

As the former chief prosecutor of Minnesota's largest county, I worked to enforce the gun laws already on the books and have long supported efforts to promote gun safety, including background checks. I also believe the Second Amendment gives American citizens the right to own guns for collection, protection, and sport. This right is an important part of our shared history and heritage, and should be protected.

As a member of the Judiciary Committee, I look forward to hearings on the President's recommendations and proposed public safety solutions that include school safety, addressing mental illness, limits on high-capacity magazines and assault weapons, and other efforts to combat violence.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. One of the most important parts of my job is listening to what the people of Minnesota have to say to me. I am here in our nation's capital to do the public's business and to serve the people of our state. I hope you will contact me again about matters of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Amy Klobuchar
United States Senator

Pretty non commital if you ask me. Waiting to see the Obama has to say so she can follow the lemmings off the cliff....
Need4Speed

Postby sawgrass on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 am

That's the exact same response that I received from Amy Klobuchar.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

the new panic... hr 241

Postby Jreinan01 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 am

Need4Speed wrote: I also believe the Second Amendment gives American citizens the right to own guns for collection, protection, and sport. This right is an important part of our shared history and heritage, and should be protected.

Same letter I got also ...but the end of the part I quoted makes it sound as though the second amendment is a relic that deserves preserving....like an old building does or something in a museum....she misses the point that this is very current and a matter of LIBERTY and FREEDOM to those of us here on an everyday basis. She will vote for any whack job looney gun bill there is.
Jreinan01

Postby kollector03 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Just remember that Klobouchar has nothing to do with the Bill in committee here in MN.

You need to contact your local reps for that as well as the Public Safety Committee members.

There is a good concentrated Call To Action from Nutnfancy for the federal side.

Linked here:

http://youtu.be/SsoTOwlPX6w
kollector03

the new panic... hr 241

Postby Jreinan01 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I know, she was responding to me about a previous letter I wrote. I already sent mails to my state house members.
Jreinan01

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat