Some hope in the schools

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Some hope in the schools

Postby goatroper on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:03 am

Not really sure if this is normal, but have to say with all the ******** political correctness, I was happily surprised. Just got the sign-up sheet for the school spring extracurricular activities list, and along with the usual sports, the first one on the list was TRAPSHOOTING. As I said, happily surprised!! Now I just have to see if the child is willing.
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Re: Some hope in the schools

Postby PileDriver on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am

Awesome. What school? It football and cheerleading has boosters and fundraisers, this must as well. How do we support it?
PileDriver

Some hope in the schools

Postby Hammered Squirrel on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am

I know that my little brother is shooting on the high school team this spring in Rosemount. I know Hastings has a trap team also. There was an article about how trap shooting is becoming the fastest growing sport in high schools in Minnesota. I can't find the article, though someone else could...
Hammered Squirrel

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 am

I believe Woodbury HS has a similar program- they shoot at the range in S St Paul

Trap shooting league gains popularity at Minnesota high schools - TwinCities.com
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby PileDriver on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 am

Hammered Squirrel wrote:I know that my little brother is shooting on the high school team this spring in Rosemount.

:shock:

Damn, I had no idea. My alma mater and town I still live in. :lol: Cool!
PileDriver

Postby engnerdan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Burnsville HS has a trap team too.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby ex-LT on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

engnerdan wrote:Burnsville HS has a trap team too.

As does Bloomington Kennedy, Lakeville South, Northfield, ...

This past December, the MSHSL Board of Directors approved a state championship starting in 2014, making Minnesota the only state in America with a high school athletic association sanctioned trapshooting tournament.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Snakeman721 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm

ex-LT wrote:
engnerdan wrote:Burnsville HS has a trap team too.

As does Bloomington Kennedy, Lakeville South, Northfield, ...

This past December, the MSHSL Board of Directors approved a state championship starting in 2014, making Minnesota the only state in America with a high school athletic association sanctioned trapshooting tournament.

Cool! Very Cool! :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby engnerdan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 am

ex-LT wrote:This past December, the MSHSL Board of Directors approved a state championship starting in 2014, making Minnesota the only state in America with a high school athletic association sanctioned trapshooting tournament.

Kind of ironic isn't it? Being the only state with sanctioned trapshooting and the only state currently trying to push through the most restrictive gun laws.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am

I wonder how I could get the process started at our school, maybe if I start now by the time my kids are old enough it'll be reality. :D
Thunder71

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 am

Thunder71 wrote:I wonder how I could get the process started at our school, maybe if I start now by the time my kids are old enough it'll be reality. :D

Check with one of the schools up and running, or the MSHSL. I bet the league has promotional information ready to go.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:29 am

xd ED wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:I wonder how I could get the process started at our school, maybe if I start now by the time my kids are old enough it'll be reality. :D

Check with one of the schools up and running, or the MSHSL. I bet the league has promotional information ready to go.

Excellent idea, thank you!
Thunder71

Postby Sprouticus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am

I think all of the MN schools are currently operating under the MN State High School Clay Target League.

I attached their web site, it has all the info you need on how to start a league in your school.

I am in education and am working on starting up a league in my school for next year. (I have had many students expressing interest already!)

http://www.mnclaytarget.com/
Sprouticus

Postby greenfarmer on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm

This year is the first year they will have one out here at Glencoe/Silver Lake. The person that's going to be running the program is part of Shady Lane Sportsmans club, which i also belong to, and he found a whole bunch of high school students that are very interested in it. He came to our sportsmans club and asked politely for a donation. So our club donated money to buy a shotgun because some of the students don't have their own guns. I think it's a great thing. It's great for kids to get introduced to the sport. This, along with gun safety classes, and us as parents teaching them the right way to handle and respect a gun, and how to conduct themselves thru life, is what will keep our sport alive and well for ages.

Giving kids a chance and opportunity to learn the art of target shooting will help them become better hunters if they so choose, or sportsman.

The only drawback was, the member who is running the sport had to jump thru alot of hoops, but the school board was very receptive, and voted it in. Alot of stipulations, but i think they really used common sense when they allowed it. No guns or ammo on school grounds, the instructor handles all of the ammo. Students can't even have their gun in their car in the parking lot. Which is a good thing. It's going to be a win/win for anyone that supports 2nd ammendment rights.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby American Capitalist on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm

My school was one of the first 30 or so in the state to offer trap shooting. It's been around for about 4 or 5 years in our district. Coach said it is one of the fastest-growing high school sports in the state. Unfortunately, lots of fudds are on these teams.
American Capitalist

Next

Return to General Gun Chat