What if the ban passes?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: What if the ban passes?

Postby Snakeman721 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:15 pm

You're doing better than me. I e-mailed my rep Melissa Hortman twice now....no response, auto or personal. I think my next e-mail to her will be "Why are you shirking your elected duties and ignoring your constituency?
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby XDM45 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm

I have an interesting question..................

What will happen when the bans fail? (...and I believe they will with our concentrated efforts.)

Well, first we will all rejoice in our victories!! YES!!

Ok.

Now what?

You don't have to be psychic to know that this will come to pass again after the next spree shooting. Some maniac will go on a killing spree and some politicians will pro[pose gun control legislation. I see a good start with HF 419 to protect our firearms rights. One would hope and think that 2A alone would be enough, but clearly it's not.... because if it was, we wouldn't have had the federal gun ban in 1994-2004, or this current round of bills in Minnesota, or what New York just passed and is going through, etc.

How do we keep this energy flow going towards pro-gun ownership by law-abiding citizens?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby American Capitalist on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 pm

If it passes, I'm going to find a nice person in Wisconsin to hold onto my guns until I'm done with college.
American Capitalist

Postby American Capitalist on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm

grousemaster wrote:A friend of mine is a lobbyist, he's at the capital daily. He tells me 241 will probably not even be voted on.

I literally just ejaculated in relief.
American Capitalist

Postby xd ED on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:50 pm

A: This isn't the first proposed gun ban.
B: This isn't the last proposed gun ban.

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty

Thomas Jefferson
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MXGreg on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 pm

XDM45 wrote:I have an interesting question..................

What will happen when the bans fail? (...and I believe they will with our concentrated efforts.)

Ok.

Now what?

You don't have to be psychic to know that this will come to pass again after the next spree shooting. Some maniac will go on a killing spree and some politicians will pro[pose gun control legislation. I see a good start with HF 419 to protect our firearms rights. One would hope and think that 2A alone would be enough, but clearly it's not.... because if it was, we wouldn't have had the federal gun ban in 1994-2004, or this current round of bills in Minnesota, or what New York just passed and is going through, etc.

How do we keep this energy flow going towards pro-gun ownership by law-abiding citizens?

If all this gun ban stuff dries up and blows away (this time), the next step is to do whatever it takes to put gun rights into the MN constitution. Start rounding up signatures and legislators and try to get it on the ballot. We just had two examples of how NOT to do it (marriage and id). We need to learn and not make the same mistakes.
MXGreg

Postby XDM45 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:37 pm

MXGreg wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I have an interesting question..................

Ok.

Now what?

If all this gun ban stuff dries up and blows away (this time), the next step is to do whatever it takes to put gun rights into the MN constitution. Start rounding up signatures and legislators and try to get it on the ballot. We just had two examples of how NOT to do it (marriage and id). We need to learn and not make the same mistakes.

HF419 is the start of that I believe.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby whiteox on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 pm

HF 419 is unconstitutional. It's a waste of time and resources.

I know that is unpopular around here, but it is a fact.
whiteox

Postby bpacman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 pm

whiteox wrote:HF 419 is unconstitutional. It's a waste of time and resources.

Please tell us what part of this bill is unconstitutional.
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby NMRMN on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:13 pm

-
Last edited by NMRMN on Mon May 06, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby whiteox on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:44 pm

bpacman wrote:
whiteox wrote:HF 419 is unconstitutional. It's a waste of time and resources.

Please tell us what part of this bill is unconstitutional.

I'll revise my initial assessment as I'm not on the Supreme Court. HF419 is almost certainly unconstitutional.

If the feds ban assault weapons, they can send BATFE and FBI out to enforce the statutes. State law enforcement doesn't have to help but they can't (legally) prevent the feds from enforcing federal law.

I recognize that there are those here who think state authorities should use force to resist federal enforcement. I'm not one of those people.

I do think that the very existence of those folks who think states should forcibly resist federal enforcement is a pretty damn good reason for me to have an AR though. If for no other reason than to fend off whatever happens as a result.

http://archive.recapthelaw.org/mtd/36897/
whiteox

Postby JustPlainT on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:55 am

grousemaster wrote:A friend of mine is a lobbyist, he's at the capital daily. He tells me 241 will probably not even be voted on.

While that is some relief, I'm concerned this kind of talk is going to lull people to a false sense of safety.

Sure, they may not vote on 241....but they may vote on an omnibus bill with the text of 241 inside of it.

I'll stay at full alert, thanks.

Any other information that can be shared?
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby xd ED on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

JustPlainT wrote:

While that is some relief, I'm concerned this kind of talk is going to lull people to a false sense of safety.

Sure, they may not vote on 241....but they may vote on an omnibus bill with the text of 241 inside of it.

Any other information that can be shared?

This is my concern as well. Those who can't follow every committee announcement and who don't speak the language could easily get fooled by their shell game.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Collector1337420 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm

JustPlainT wrote:

JustPlainT wrote:While that is some relief, I'm concerned this kind of talk is going to lull people to a false sense of safety.

That is what I'm afraid of too.

JustPlainT wrote:Sure, they may not vote on 241....but they may vote on an omnibus bill with the text of 241 inside of it.

I'm afraid of that too.

We MUST ALL stay on full alert.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby tac870 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Quit being a defeatist! Fight hard and show your presence when necessary. I'm not yelling at you and trying to make you feel bad, but there are people on their side monitoring these posts. Once you have given it your all, then cross that bridge when you get there.
tac870

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat