Alaska SWAT

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Alaska SWAT

Postby tizzo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 am

I found this amusing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361120000.472187.jpg

They called SWAT for a single barricaded suspect. Who's this guy going to war against?
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Re: Alaska SWAT

Postby ktech on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:34 am

With 2 extra sidearm mags and 2 total mags for his long gun... nobody. :?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Scratch on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 am

Is that extra mag in the wrong way?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby tizzo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Poor reference at all the gun control rhetoric I suppose.
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby ktech on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Scratch wrote:Is that extra mag in the wrong way?

It looks like it's backwards to me - my thought is he would drop the mag and rotate it 180 degrees to put the fresh mag in.
Not sure why.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Dave Timm on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm not sure why he would have his mags for his mp5 reversed liked that either. To me it seems that it would make the mag change more complicated. In regards to the going to war comment I guess I really don't get it. It's pretty common for a cop to carry spare handgun mags and also pretty common to deploy a long gun when confronting any known armed subject. There are numerous advantages to deploying a long gun even for residential, close encounters, and solo subjects.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby tman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Our SWAT team was recently called out to a single barricaded subject with who had several firearms, including and AR. It's about containment sometimes.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Prepared4Survival on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:24 pm

I have seen this before I believe the person had a scope on top and a holographic on the left hand side.. Even though it does have to be flipped around it keeps the extra mag on the right because the extra magazine wouldn't go into the gun with the sight on the left hand side (or blocked from seeing the sight one or the other) Anyways if you wanted it set up that way this was the only way to use two magazines at once.. ill try to find a pic or something..
Prepared4Survival

Postby Dante on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am

I was watching Alaska State Troopers this weekend and there was a case of any ex-mil sniper who was off his meds and had been drinking, and had made threats against this spouse/gf. They went to the house, spoke to him for a while and when he stated he was not coming out, they advised the the woman to just stay away from the resodence and then they left.

I guess I wouldn't want to be the next person who stopped by but I have always found this approach interesting compared to what would go down here or most places, while I have heard of other cases where the same approach was taken - if they aren't actually breaking the law, leave them be (the other recent story was out of Wyoming).

Personally I think they are little too eager to go FULL SWAT all the time...
Dante

Postby tman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Dante wrote:I was watching Alaska State Troopers this weekend and there was a case of any ex-mil sniper who was off his meds and had been drinking, and had made threats against this spouse/gf. They went to the house, spoke to him for a while and when he stated he was not coming out, they advised the the woman to just stay away from the resodence and then they left.

I guess I wouldn't want to be the next person who stopped by but I have always found this approach interesting compared to what would go down here or most places, while I have heard of other cases where the same approach was taken - if they aren't actually breaking the law, leave them be (the other recent story was out of Wyoming).

Personally I think they are little too eager to go FULL SWAT all the time...

You've highlighted a very good point, but how do the police just say, though, "Ahh, this guy won't go postal if we just leave him be."

What if they're wrong?

The guy I mentioned shot himself BEFORE the SWAT team had deployed, but he DID know the police were outside the house. What's the risk, and who bears the liability if the police left him alone, and then he went out and shot someone else?

My personal beliefs tend to lie along the lines of what you say the Alaska Troopers did, but I couldn't just ignore the risk to public safety...

Anyone?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby jshuberg on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:59 pm

tman wrote:What's the risk, and who bears the liability if the police left him alone, and then he went out and shot someone else?

While there may be a public risk involved, the police could not be held liable if they decided to leave him alone, only to have him go nuts. The Supreme Court has ruled numerous times that when someone who's job it is to 'protect' the public fails to do so, that they did not breach any substantive constitutional duty. So far this applies to social workers (DeShaney v. Winnebago County) and police officers (Castle Rock v. Gonzales).
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... .html?_r=0
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Mn01r6 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:45 pm

jshuberg wrote:
tman wrote:What's the risk, and who bears the liability if the police left him alone, and then he went out and shot someone else?

While there may be a public risk involved, the police could not be held liable if they decided to leave him alone, only to have him go nuts. The Supreme Court has ruled numerous times that when someone who's job it is to 'protect' the public fails to do so, that they did not breach any substantive constitutional duty. So far this applies to social workers (DeShaney v. Winnebago County) and police officers (Castle Rock v. Gonzales).
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... .html?_r=0

To be fair, the police may get disciplined for violating policy and the chief may lose his job if the situation turns into a big enough fuster cluck...
Mn01r6

Return to General Gun Chat