*&$##!@$%& PBS Special

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

*&$##!@$%& PBS Special

Postby SSBotanyBay on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Is anyone else watching this ("After Newtown: Guns in America")? It started out to be rather informative and then turned into propaganda. Really, a single rifleman with an AR-15 is able to "wreak the havoc of an entire platoon;" this is BS. I am not surprised, yet I am very disappointed. I figured my dogs needed a break from my yelling at the television (long enough to type this) and so you all get the opportunity to hear me vent. Completely ridiculous. If anything, this terrible infomercial for constitution-breaching gun control has spurred me to contribute more to the NRA and GOCRA; I suggest you do the same as we aren't he only ones watching this crap.***Rant far from over, stay tuned***
Last edited by SSBotanyBay on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Re: *&$##!@$%& PBS Special

Postby MXGreg on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Tuned in a little bit ago, seemed ok, but now..................... :roll:
MXGreg

Postby river_boater on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

What are you talking about?
river_boater

Postby SSBotanyBay on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm

river_boater wrote:What are you talking about?

"After Newtown: Guns in America"

I am watching it on Iowa Public Television as I am in SE MN and too cheap to pay for satellite/cable.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby whiteox on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 pm

PBS has been all guns all night. Looks like it's going to continue all week.

I thought it was fairly neutral for about the first 45 minutes. The last 15 minutes were mildly preachy. There were a lot of unsubstantiated statements by professors. One guy said that the date that the US Murder rate turned the corner was the date that the Colt pistol was invented. I forget the actual date. I would have liked a cite to that, but it strikes me as probably accurate. It is a lot easier to pull a trigger from several paces away than it is to go toe to toe with another guy armed with your fists, a bludgeon or a blade. It's sort of the way they stated it that I think is probably getting under people's skin.

There wasn't a great deal of NRA bashing. In fact they presented David Keane's account about how the post 60's gun rights movement was a reaction to the gun ban legislation passed in response to the Black Panthers and the high profile assassinations of Kennedy, Kennedy, King, etc.

There were also some doozies. The Philadelphia police commissioner talking about street sweeping shotguns with 100 round magazines, for example.

Looks like they'll be replaying it again on TPT on Thursday night at 9. I think it was worth watching. I don't agree with everything they said, but it was worth watching.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/after-newtown/
whiteox

Postby cabinetguy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am

Shouldn't be too surprised by this. Tuned into the beginning of PBS Newshour the other night and one of their main financial contributors was the JOYCE Foundation, and remember that PBS is "government" subsidized. If more people would take the time to follow the money trail, they would maybe, just maybe wake up and see where this country is headed. :bowdown:
cabinetguy

Postby Rodentman on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I watched part of it until I couldn't take it anymore. It's stuff like this that has me on my hands and knees looking for a primer I dropped.
Rodentman

Postby plink on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:24 pm

whiteox wrote:PBS has been all guns all night. Looks like it's going to continue all week.
There were also some doozies. The Philadelphia police commissioner talking about street sweeping shotguns with 100 round magazines, for example.

Sounds like enough weight to break the mag release right off a saiga. Maybe they were talking about .22lr bird shot rounds. :roll:
plink

Postby river_boater on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 pm

plink wrote:
whiteox wrote:PBS has been all guns all night. Looks like it's going to continue all week.

Sounds like enough weight to break the mag release right off a saiga. Maybe they were talking about .22lr bird shot rounds. :roll:

It came as a shock to me many years ago to learn that not all cops are gun people, and don't know a whole lot about guns.
river_boater

Return to General Gun Chat