Soooo, what kind of shooting do ya'll do?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Soooo, what kind of shooting do ya'll do?

Postby Erud on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Just curious, what's everybody into? How often do you shoot? What do you shoot? Where do you shoot? What do you do when you shoot? Do you shoot competitively? If not, do you want to? What's stopping you?

Pistol shooting seems to be fairly dominant here, and obviously AR's - just sort of trying to take the temperature of the board, as it were....

Thanks,
Erik
Erud

Re: Soooo, what kind of shooting do ya'll do?

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm

I enjoy handgun the most but also shoot sporting clays every now and then and some rifle. Didn't get out much last year, but plan to get back into it this year. For competition I shoot steel(in Hutch) and IDPA both handgun matches and DMG(3 gun) matches. I go to TC IDPA and Minnetonka IDPA, and belong to Gopher Campfire and Rainbow Sportsmans Club both just west ot the cities.

I am looking forward to a good year of shooting. I only made it to one steel match last year and no IDPA.
Sigfan220

Postby JJ on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Working off shifts the last couple years has kinda screwed up my opportunities. This year i hope to get back out into the F-class world, maybe sporting clays, and a mix of IDPA and USPSA.

I may shoot the pistol leauge up at Isanti Sportsmans, not for the challenge but for the socializing.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 pm

You might say I dabble in rifle shooting. :D
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You might say I dabble in rifle shooting. :D

Yeah, I already know what YOU do.... :roll:

Sigfan,
By Minnetonka, do you mean Minnetonka Fish and Game? I've always wanted to try some action-type pistol events, just haven't found the time yet. Dabbled a little in Bullseye, hope to get back to it someday.

JJ,
Where do you shoot F-Class? I know a lot of those guys and shoot most of the Mid Range and Long Range prone matches with the F-Class gang. Maybe we've even met before.

Erik
Erud

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 pm

I like to shoot things that need shootin'.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby The Lance on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm

IDPA USPSA and 3 Gun..
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby greenfarmer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:04 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:I like to shoot things that need shootin'.

Same here! Seems there's plenty of yotes, and other 4 legged critters around here that need it. Sometimes there's some pheasants that fly into the path of these little round lead balls that come out of my shotgun, and i've had a tendancy to make sure my hunting party has full freezers of venison. Love those pepper sticks and jerky all winter long.

Haven't shot any leagues, but have shot some clays at sportsmans clubs in the past. Would like to join a pistol league or something like that.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm mainly interested in defensive shooting, but I also hunt deer, coyotes, and other varmints.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby JJ on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Erud wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
JJ,
Where do you shoot F-Class? I know a lot of those guys and shoot most of the Mid Range and Long Range prone matches with the F-Class gang. Maybe we've even met before.

Erik

ERSC. Been a couple years. I got a chance to get my feet wet for a couple weeks in a small window between tech school and off shifts. My gear is entry level at the moment, but I am planning on slowly upgrading. Right now my biggest handicap is the rifle I want to shoot (6br) I setup more for dogging and benchrest (1:14) so it doesn't like anything over 70g, the minimum weight the match director told me. I can shoot the 70smk, but it's a ton of load work.

I guess I need to break down and get my hands on a 1:8 sooner rather than later.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby tluchsinger on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:31 pm

.22 targets but mostly like to shoot the AK47 love the noise it makes as the bolt slams shut, love the heavy bolt moving back and forth, uuuummm but back to the topic, the low cost(or was the low cost) of the shells, just to make it go boom. I mostly like shooting at an out door range, It gets to crowed at bills, its like a cirucus in there some times, its more relaxed at a out door range. And you can talk to the range officers for any help you might need. They seem more than happy to give advice and help there.
tluchsinger

Postby shooter115 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Well.... The only ones I've been real serious about since 2011 are 3-Gun, action pistol, indoor 4-position rimfire, and trap league. The others I do, but don't put a whole lot of time into any more..... Bullseye pistol, F-class, benchrest, Sporting clays and high power silhouette. F-class is coming back into the standard rotation this year. I also try to hit the Ruger Rimfire matches.

Prior to being married with child and getting bit by the 3-gun bug, I also used to be a pretty serious big game, predator and bird hunter. Just no time for it anymore and my trips out west have turned into my trips to major 3-gun matches.
shooter115

Postby NorthrenMN on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

All rifle not into hand guns. Have to keep the freezer full. I shoot about every other weekend in the summer along with 2 of my daugthers who injoy shooting. Most of are shooting at the range is over 200 hundred yards.
NorthrenMN

Postby Scratch on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I don't shoot in the winter.... I don't Like the cold. In the warmer weather, I shoot sporting clays at a game farm, and ARs, at 100 and 200 yards at a private range, and AKs, and Uzis for fun. I also shoot 9mm on an IDPA style course.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Shako Sparky on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

I mostly shoot trap. But have shot sporting clays and 5 stand. I would like to get into skeet, and some kind of pistol shooting.
NRA Life Member
Shako Sparky

Next

Return to General Gun Chat