Gander Mtn and ammo

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gander Mtn and ammo

Postby Lights on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Hate to bash them some more but. While at the gun club this weekend. I was told by another club member to ask for ammo at the gun counter. They have it, they are just not putting it out, I just bought some. So today I stopped buy to ask for some 9mm ammo at the Woodbury store today. The same store that the fellow club member got his ammo at. I ask the salesman if they have some 9mm ammo in the back. He said yep, but it is only for sale if you buy a new gun. WTF???? I hate Gander more every time I step foot in one. Cabelas can't get built fast enough for me in Woodbury (fall of 2014). I will never go in a Gander Mtn again. Between getting muzzle swept the last time I was there and this. I'm done with them.

Ok I'm better now, just needed to vent :D
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Re: Gander Mtn and ammo

Postby tenmilmag on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:19 am

I too can't stand the way I've been treated in their store. Wanting to be shown some guns and counter dude acted as he didn't have time to show me. This was not the first time this happened to me in their store. Like what are they there for? I have had enough of their attitude. I will N E V E R be back to their store. E V E R!!! Period. I've purchased 8 guns in the last 6 months. None of them from GM.
Last edited by tenmilmag on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
tenmilmag

Postby lizard55033 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 am

I was at Gander today... They wanted $46 for an $18 box of FMJ ammo. Count me out of that one....
lizard55033

Postby sansooshooter on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 am

Yea there is a reason GM has ammo. 46 bucks for 100 rounds 9mm Remington cheap practice ammo is a joke.
You could go to walmart and get a box of Winchester 100 round white-box for $24 ! GM price for same ammo was $34.

I know some people will pay what ever if they don't have ammo. I hope people remember the gouging GM gave them when ammo was hard to come by!
I never buy ammo from them . Just don't believe in paying extra for the privilege buying from GM. :roll:
sansooshooter

Postby yang on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 am

Screw Gander. I get my ammo at Fleet Farm. I was at Fleet Farm in Lino Lakes on Tues. 9mm is all out. They have a fresh shipment of WWB FMJ in .40S&W and .45ACP.

Haven't checked Fleet Farm in Oakdale yet but last time I bought there was a few weeks ago and I bought 2 boxes of WWB 9mm 115GR for $24/box.
yang

Gander Mtn and ammo

Postby Jreinan01 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 am

I HATE gander mountain, they have been overpriced for as long as I can remember.

But actually the practice of holding some in back for people who just bought guns I like, maybe it is the customer service person in me. I don't know what the particulars are about the holding so i shouldnt comment too much. But if I owned a store in these times, knowing that a lot of these buyers are new to firearms I would no doubt hold some back for them to be able to shoot it instead of letting some guy add another 300 rounds to the 3500 he already has.

I have super mixed feelings about the "gouging" too....I kind of like that I know there is usually a place I can go and buy ammo if I'm willing to pay the overinflated price. But there is no damn way I am paying those prices. Also it gets tiring knowing that there are tons of hoarders out there raiding the shelves of cheap ammo while I'm on my way to work they are waiting for the store to open.

Anyways, I'm off my soapbox ....screw Gander!!!!
Jreinan01

Postby Nalez on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 am

Lights wrote:I ask the salesman if they have some 9mm ammo in the back. He said yep, but it is only for sale if you buy a new gun. WTF????

Personally I like this policy. I would hate to go to the store, spend $800 on a new gun, and not be able to have any ammo for it.
Nalez

Postby damian_mb on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 am

Gander is overpriced.....That's all I have to say. They priced the 1911 I bought at Cabela's at almost $100 over retail. :roll:

Also don't be mad because they want people who buy guns to have ammo to shoot. It's a logical reason, you should be mad at the hoarders! People who buy just to stock up and not shoot, there are plenty of them out there. Also, remember some people buy guns and don't know that the ammo for that gun is the most sought out ammo.
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby tenmilmag on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am

Too bad they won't need to hold any ammo for me as I do not plan to purchase any guns from them no fault of mine wanting to be shown firearms and met with no interest rudeness and well just being ignored. :( Oh and every day is a good day to buy another gun- certainly NOT at Gander Mountain. Ha
tenmilmag

Postby JohnGageMN on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 am

I haven't bought much at Gander lately, though I did pick up some 5.56 there back in January for a reasonable price ( < .50/round ). At the same time I bought that I looked at their prices for .40, .38 and .380 and I almost fell over. Things sure have changed a lot there in the last decade. I bought a couple of handguns and a .22 rifle from them back in 2003-2004 and the prices were damn reasonable. Used to be able to get good .40 ball ammo for the range from them back them for about $6 a box on sale too...
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby spyder357 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am

I've had pretty good expierences with Gander Mountain, their prices are sky high but I usually wait till things I want are onsale before I go there. Always buy my ammo elsewhere unless its an emergency.

Just a couple of months ago had to exchange a pair of La Crosse boots that were leaking....the Onalaska WI store had them exchanged and I was out the door in 10 minutes. Two thumbs up on the service desk there.

The GM in Rochester,MN also gets a thumbs up, bought a Taurus 738 last weekend, did buy a box of Winchester 380 fmj (price was definitely a bit higher) but the fella behind the counter was extremely friendly and took care of business quickly.
spyder357

Postby Lights on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 pm

spyder357 wrote:I've had pretty good expierences with Gander Mountain, their prices are sky high but I usually wait till things I want are onsale before I go there. Always buy my ammo elsewhere unless its an emergency.

Just a couple of months ago had to exchange a pair of La Crosse boots that were leaking....the Onalaska WI store had them exchanged and I was out the door in 10 minutes. Two thumbs up on the service desk there.

The GM in Rochester,MN also gets a thumbs up, bought a Taurus 738 last weekend, did buy a box of Winchester 380 fmj (price was definitely a bit higher) but the fella behind the counter was extremely friendly and took care of business quickly.

Sure he was friendly and he also tryed to sell you a protection plan for the Taurus also right? When Taurus has a liftime warrenty. I was looking for a Taurus 709 slim they had them ONSALE for $349 and the same gun at Fleet Farm is $279 at there regular price. Last fall they tryed to charge me over MSRP for a new LH 700sps for my son. I told them they can keep it. I bought the same gun for $150 less some where else that same day. They can bite my @ss. Three strikes and your OUT!

And for only selling ammo to people that buy a gun. Go to hell GM. They will sell you all kinds of major hunting and fishing big ticket items and have vary little small ticket items to support the big ticket item.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby XDM45 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

GM has never had my business and just like CTD, never will.

They can charge whatever they want, it doesn't mean people have to pay it. No one has a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy from X or Y dealer, do they?

Heck, if someone wants to give me $100 for a box of 525 .22LR ammo, I'll be more than happy to sell them one. Same as if someone wants to give me a million dollars for my house, car, t-shirt, etc. It's not personal, it's just business. I'm not attached to any material item, so everything is for sale for the right price. It doesn't pay to be emotional about business because emotion-based decisions are usually expensive in way or another. GM and other businesses aren't emotional. You want it? Pay. If not, then not.

The 2A states that we have the right to bear arms, but nowhere in there does it state that those arms and supplies for them must be affordable. Do I like paying higher prices? No. Of course not. Who does? You can either barter and if a price can't be agreed upon that you like, either walk away or buy it at a less-than-desirable price for you in order to get the item you want. I ended up paying .45 a round for 1,000 rounds of .45ACP not-too-long ago, which is a far cry from the .25 I paid 6 months earlier. Oh well. Supply and demand, prices people want to sell it for, that's the way it goes. No point in bitching about it. My only regret is the fact I'm not the one offering .223/5.56 ammo, PMAGS, AR-15 lowers, parts and rifles, etc for big bucks right now. Not everyone will buy, and that's ok. Some will :)

This isn't the first thread about high prices, and it won't be the last; in fact, I've posted a similar answer like the one above in another thread not-too-long ago; and I'm sure I will again.

It's weird with guns... if prices shot up on tires, I don't think people would complain as much.... heck, a month ago, gasoline was $2.99 a gallon and now it's almost $4.00 a gallon (but slowly declining after a fast increase), not a single post about here, and not a peep. I just don't get the outrage at gun, ammo, parts, accessories prices, etc. Notice you NEVER see someone posting stating "damn man... I just can't keep this ammo in stock, guns or mags in stock, and I'm selling it at 10x the normal price!! This SUCKS man!! It's UNFAIR!! I can't keep any inventory. Life is Hell!!" You only see posts where people complain about the prices and in the back of their mind think, but will never admit publicly "DAMN man.. I wish that was me making that sweet bank selling gun stuff. DAMN if I'd only have known. 20/20 hindsight sucks!!" I'll admit it. I wish I knew and stockpiled stuff to sell at over-inflated prices. HELL YES!! Next time, I'll be prepared.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby tenmilmag on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm

At least you see gas stations drive around daily checking other stations prices to keep in check!!! All the stations seem to be with in a few CENTS of each other per gallon NOT hundreds of dollars! Geez
tenmilmag

Postby hornswaggle on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 pm

GM is my last resort because of the prices but they are a resource if I need something that FF or other locak shops don't have. The GM Rochester did price match on a gun purchase for me one time and I've used their gunsmith a couple times to my satisfaction. As a general rule though they are the most expensive option by a long ways.
Kevin

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, Always control the muzzle, Know your target and what is beyond it...

Either you like bacon or you're wrong....
hornswaggle

Next

Return to General Gun Chat