Private Sale

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Private Sale

Postby Sarge_44 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I know this has been talked about on this forum, but I can't find it anywhere. Can someone do a quick rundown on how to complete a private transfer/sale.

Thanks!
*Liberal Gun Owner*
Sarge_44

Re: Private Sale

Postby TTS on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Are you looking for best practices or what is legal?
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Private Sale

Postby Sarge_44 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Either. I'm just want to make sure that when I sell. My hands are clean
*Liberal Gun Owner*
Sarge_44

Postby grousemaster on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Sarge_44 wrote:Either. I'm just want to make sure that when I sell. My hands are clean

As long as you don't suspect the buyer is ineligible to own the firearm, you are free and clear as soon as the sale goes down. For best practices, ask to see a PTP or PTC and sign a simple bill of sale. Nothing to be paranoid about. If you're uncomfortable with the person, walk away from the sale.

There's been a lot of misinformation spread on this forum recently about private sales, try to tune it out and don't let it worry ya. Even before I had an FFl, I did lot's of horse swapping, private sales, etc. Always good people I dealt with and never an issue. Only did a bill of sale a couple times.
Last edited by grousemaster on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby brad3579 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 pm

I photo copy both persons DL's and buyers PTP or PTC on a signed bill of sale with model and serial number and give one copy to both parties.
I think that is fair for both people.
brad3579

Postby XDM45 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:14 pm

If you want to be sure, go through an FFL to CYA.

Also get copies of the DL and the PTC.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby LS3Miata on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 pm

XDM45 wrote:If you want to be sure, go through an FFL to CYA.
:blah: :blah: :blah:
A few 1911's, two crazy boxers, a fast car and a half fast driver.
LS3Miata

Private Sale

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Am I the only one who won't release all that personal info- DL#, address, birthday, etc- to a stranger?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby brad3579 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:30 pm

brad3579 wrote:I photo copy both persons DL's and buyers PTP or PTC on a signed bill of sale with model and serial number and give one copy to both parties.
I think that is fair for both people.

I have also used a signed bill of sale and have both parties take pictures of DL's and PTP/PTC with cell phones if not sold at house.
brad3579

Private Sale

Postby Sarge_44 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 pm

xd ED wrote:Am I the only one who won't release all that personal info- DL#, address, birthday, etc- to a stranger?

That's kind of how I feel too.
*Liberal Gun Owner*
Sarge_44

Postby grousemaster on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 pm

xd ED wrote:Am I the only one who won't release all that personal info- DL#, address, birthday, etc- to a stranger?

No. I used to glance at a permit and then shake hands. Perfectly legal and you ARE NOT responsible for any misuse of the item afterwards, contrary to what "St. Olaf" keeps stating on this forum.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby MrVvrroomm on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Look at buyer's driver's license. Look at buyer's permit to purchase or permit to carry. Take cash. Hand over gun.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Dunno, seems there's bits and pieces of truth to all of it - the answer... it depends.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66

Subd. 1f.Gross misdemeanor; transferring firearm without background check. A person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another without complying with the transfer requirements of section 624.7132, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the transferee possesses or uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence, and if:
(1) the transferee was prohibited from possessing the weapon under section 624.713 at the time of the transfer; or
(2) it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of the transfer that the transferee was likely to use or possess the weapon in furtherance of a felony crime of violence.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7132

Exception:
Subd. 10.Transfer report not required. A person who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to a person exhibiting a valid transferee permit issued pursuant to this section or a valid permit to carry issued pursuant to section 624.714 is not required to file a transfer report pursuant to section 624.7132, subdivision 1.
Thunder71

Postby minnesotatv on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

No, you're not the only one. With Identity Theft rampant in this country, only a fool would allow a
stranger to keep photocopies of his/her drivers license number, or any other personal number.
minnesotatv

Postby bpacman on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 pm

MrVvrroomm wrote:Look at buyer's driver's license. Look at buyer's permit to purchase or permit to carry. Take cash. Hand over gun.

+1

Anymore and you are feeding right into the pending legislation's hands.
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Next

Return to General Gun Chat