Who has quit shooting?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Who has quit shooting?

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Yep, those semi-autos in popular calibers can be hard on the wallet even in good times.. aside from local law enforcement, I imagine the 3-gunners out there are suffering the worst between practice and actual competitions if they were not heavily stockpiled before the madness began.

I noticed the brass farming really became a bigger deal in 2008 when comodites prices were screwing with the market along with the election run-up, hasn't really slowed down much since. Used to be I'd rarely find another soul at a range who bother to pick up their brass, now it's very much the exception even if someone doesn't reload because they've realized there's some money involved if they scrounge up enough of their once fired stuff and throw it on Craigslist/Armslist/etc..
yuppiejr

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm

yuppiejr wrote:Yep, those semi-autos in popular calibers can be hard on the wallet even in good times.. aside from local law enforcement, I imagine the 3-gunners out there are suffering the worst between practice and actual competitions if they were not heavily stockpiled before the madness began.

I noticed the brass farming really became a bigger deal in 2008 when comodites prices were screwing with the market along with the election run-up, hasn't really slowed down much since. Used to be I'd rarely find another soul at a range who bother to pick up their brass, now it's very much the exception even if someone doesn't reload because they've realized there's some money involved if they scrounge up enough of their once fired stuff and throw it on Craigslist/Armslist/etc..

Exactly. I use found brass to fund my new ammo purchases.

Heck, I'll even barter IT work for ammo. Money is easy to get. Ammo is a real PITA to find.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby river_boater on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I haven't fired a round since November of last year.
river_boater

Postby Doc Harvey on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm

I have to admit that I've drastically reduced the amount of shooting I used to do. I don't reload, and either can't afford to replace ammo, or just can't find what I need. I'm "stockpiling" 9mm and .45 so that I have enough to shoot the Steel Shoot at Hutchinson, and I've been holding back on shooting any .223/5.56, 30-06 and 7.62x51. I have been shooting 7.62x39, only because it's still relatively cheap and fairly easy to find.
Doc Harvey

Postby JohnGageMN on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

i haven't quit.

I only go to the range about once a month, but I haven't gone more often than that since I was a member at OGC years ago and could buy .40 for $6.49 a box on sale. Hard to believe that was nary a decade ago...

Now I take my time, don't do much in the way of mag dumps, and in general milk my time there and have fun with it.
Last edited by JohnGageMN on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

river_boater wrote:I haven't fired a round since November of last year.

Until this last weekend, it was Jan for me, before that, Nov or Dec. My next time will be probably once or twice in April, same for May, not sure what the Summer will bring, but it's going to be .22LR mostly. I'm down to my SHTF reserve limit of 3,000 rounds of .45ACP, so since I won't touch that, I'm basically "out" of .45ACP. For .22LR, my reserve is 15,000, so I have 10k more than that to play with, and as always, I'll buy when I can find it at an affordable and reasonable price. Lots of dry firing of the .45 in my future.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby JustPlainT on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm

My problem with the idea of "time to reconsider calibers" is it seems to be so widespread for handguns.

I have quite a few choices of handgun caliber, and not one of them is available at stores anymore. At first, the panic was just the ultra popular. No big deal, I've got other options. Then it became pretty much every modern handgun caliber.

The only thing I haven't looked into is the 7.62 Tokarov ammo, because it's generally corrosive and the only thing I'd consider shooting corrosive ammo through would be an ultra simple bolt gun I could tear all the way down for a deep clean afterwards.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of available 10mm or .357 Sig
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby river_boater on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

I have two GLOCK pistols chambered in .45GAP. One of the first places I go to check availability is http://www.ammoman.com

They have it in stock, and it isn't crazy-expensive (relatively speaking).
river_boater

Postby SAM on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:36 pm

I have not quit either. Don't reload, but I'm sitting on about 45,000 rounds between .22--9mm and .40 cal. I estimate that it will get me through this big post-election scarcity on ammo----------just like the last one. 8-)
STAYIN' ALIVE DPS/BCA Approved Instructor Organization
NRA Instructor-Pistol-HFS-PPIH
NRA CRSO
N.D. Concealed and Dangerous Weapons Test Administrator
Mn. FAS Instructor
CSI P2C Instructor
Federal Law Enforcement Safety Act of 2004 Trainer
SAM

Location: Right smack-dab in the middle of deer f---ing heaven

Postby river_boater on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:26 pm

XDM45 wrote:I'm down to my SHTF reserve limit of 3,000 rounds of .45ACP, so since I won't touch that, I'm basically "out" of .45ACP.

3000 rounds is my "out" threshold, too. Right now, I'm only out of .45GAP, which I haven't shot (or bought) in years.
river_boater

Postby Dave Timm on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm

I just shot today and it was fun! Haven't quit, don't plan on it, but I think I will be using my 22 trainers more this summer then before.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Who has quit shooting?

Postby dtapper2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm

I've only mostly shot new guns since everything went down (5 new guys). I bet I have shot around 50 .45acp, 300 9mm, 100 .223/5.56, and maybe 500 .22lr. I have a metric ton of .22lr, but I save it for my brother and his daughter in case he wants to teach her to shoot.

I've bought all the ammo I can find in stock, so indoor ranges are a little out of my price range as of now. Planning on hitting BPR with the lady soon as she is getting on my case about taking her (she never pays for ammo, can you blame a guy?)
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby linksep on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 am

XDM45 wrote: For .22LR, my reserve is 15,000, so I have 10k more than that to play with, and as always, I'll buy when I can find it at an affordable and reasonable price. Lots of dry firing of the .45 in my future.

I hope you have 10+ .22lr guns to hand out to friends & family in a SHTF scenario at 25k stock level... My girlfriend got a Neos at Cabellas a few months ago and we had to go to 5 gun stores before we found a round for it. Since she's had the gun we've been able to find 1,450 .22lr rounds between us and she has ~325 of Federal's worst + 60 CCI Stingers left. She wants to go shoot about every other weekend but we can't find any 9mm or .22lr to keep our respective ammo stockpiles at 500+ rounds so I have to keep telling her no...
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Hmac on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 am

I shoot about 200 rounds a week. Maybe double that if my wife shoots too. I will probably have to slow that pace as fall approaches...2000 round pistol course in the works.
Hmac

Postby JustPlainT on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 am

linksep wrote:She wants to go shoot about every other weekend but we can't find any 9mm or .22lr to keep our respective ammo stockpiles at 500+ rounds so I have to keep telling her no...

You be glad she likes shooting that much.

I wish I could get the fiancee to do that.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat