NICS related Question

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

NICS related Question

Postby Username000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Okay, I don't mean to sound paranoid, but isn't having to get NICS almost as bad as requiring registered firearms? Doesn't it put up some red flag "oh, Username000 (not my real name obviously) bought a gun, we'll keep that in our records for later."?
Last edited by Username000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://darkiceco.webs.com
T-Shirts, Cool Dogtag Necklaces, Tech/Computer Services,
Advertising Services, and much more!
Username000

Re: NICS related Question

Postby NMRMN on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Username000 wrote:Okay, I don't mean to sound paranoid, but isn't having to get NICS almost as bad as requiring registered firearms? Doesn't it put up some red flag "oh, Username000 (not my real name obviously) bought a gun, we'll keep that in our records for later."

Yes, but it doesn't "register" the firearm... You can sell it without the government's involvement (for now anyway). This is the "backdoor" aspect of registration with universal background checks. Also, how would universal background checks be enforced without a "actual" registry?

BTW, you are already on the list ;-)

The list of things that get you on the list.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Username000 wrote:Okay, I don't mean to sound paranoid, but isn't having to get NICS almost as bad as requiring registered firearms? Doesn't it put up some red flag "oh, Username000 (not my real name obviously) bought a gun, we'll keep that in our records for later."?

NICS identifying data is destroyed after 18 months (or two years, or something). The FBI is statutorily prohibited from retaining it as any kind of de facto gun registration scheme.

If you want to be worried about registration, worry about the 4473 you fill out. Your FFL has to keep those around for 20 years, make them available for inspection by the ATF, and they can be subpoenaed.
Hmac

Postby Username000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Hmac wrote:
Username000 wrote:Okay, I don't mean to sound paranoid, but isn't having to get NICS almost as bad as requiring registered firearms? Doesn't it put up some red flag "oh, Username000 (not my real name obviously) bought a gun, we'll keep that in our records for later."?

NICS identifying data is destroyed after 18 months (or two years, or something). The FBI is statutorily prohibited from retaining it as any kind of de facto gun registration scheme.

If you want to be worried about registration, worry about the 4473 you fill out. Your FFL has to keep those around for 20 years, make them available for inspection by the ATF, and they can be subpoenaed.

I was worried about the 4473 as well, just forgot to mention it. :(
Username000

Re: Re: NICS related Question

Postby texasprowler on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

NMRMN wrote:Also, how would universal background checks be enforced without a "actual" registry?

Undercover stings come to mind, like with underage alcohol purchases.
texasprowler

Postby NMRMN on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Username000 wrote:I was worried about the 4473 as well, just forgot to mention it. :(

Sorry, I was speaking to BATF form 4473 as well...
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Re: Re: NICS related Question

Postby NMRMN on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm

texasprowler wrote:
NMRMN wrote:Also, how would universal background checks be enforced without a "actual" registry?

Undercover stings come to mind, like with underage alcohol purchases.

Good point.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby Username000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm

NMRMN wrote:
Username000 wrote:I was worried about the 4473 as well, just forgot to mention it. :(

Sorry, I was speaking to BATF form 4473 as well...

Yeah, I was implying the 4473 + NICS when I made my original post, but I didn't mention it in that post.
Username000

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm

The point above is valid, however, in that private sales (in this state...so far) aren't tracked in any way. No 4473, no NICS check.
Hmac

Postby Username000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Hmac wrote:

The point above is valid, however, in that private sales (in this state...so far) aren't tracked in any way. No 4473, no NICS check.

Yeah, but it's tough to get a brand new firearm in a private sale unless it's a straw purchase, but that's bad. :P
Username000

Postby NMRMN on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Username000 wrote:
Hmac wrote:

Yeah, but it's tough to get a brand new firearm in a private sale unless it's a straw purchase, but that's bad. :P

Straw purchases are bad and furthermore, illegal. I see new firearms for sale all the time from private sellers: Most request ID and PTP, and even a bill of sale.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby texasprowler on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Seems to me they could just require a PTP or PTC for all transfers, universal background covered. But I think they are looking for something more intrusive.
texasprowler

Postby Username000 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 pm

texasprowler wrote:Seems to me they could just require a PTP or PTC for all transfers, universal background covered. But I think they are looking for something more intrusive.

Won't work for me, I don't have those. :(

Edit: Not yet anyway.
Username000

Postby NMRMN on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm

texasprowler wrote:Seems to me they could just require a PTP or PTC for all transfers, universal background covered. But I think they are looking for something more intrusive.

Exactly. Rove offered up an idea: background check at the door of gun shows. I'm not sure that I like it, but it would seem to accomplish what the grabbers "say" they want, and alleviate gun-owners concerns as well.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby NMRMN on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey Username000: I'm getting you're into the whole "incognito" thing. Still, here's a nice place to start ;-)
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Next

Return to General Gun Chat