None of thier business

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

None of thier business

Postby Gdawgs on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:14 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I was invited from a fellow Minnesotan on another forum. I just turned 40 and have been shooting ever since I can remember. I also do a fair amount of reloading.

So here's my question. Our youngest daughter is going into Kintergarten this fall. They sent us this 13 page questionaire to fill out. One question states "Does anyone in your home or who cares for your child: 1) Use tobacco, 2) Use Alcohol, 3) Have a gun

We don't smoke or drink, but what's it to them anyway. I guess I can see what they are looking for there. But what business do they have asking about whether or not we have guns?? I'm obviously going to leave it blank. But I'm half tempted to check it off, and leave a comment "she has her own". Which is true. We have a Cricket, and the older two have outgrown it, so I guess it's hers now. Although she really wants a pink one instead of the black one.
Gdawgs

Re: None of thier business

Postby Hmac on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 am

An overly enthusiastic attempt to identify public health issues. You may find that her pediatrician will ask the same question at her next doctor's appointment. If it were me, I would leave all three of those question blank on the school questionnaire and if her doctor asks those same questions, politely decline to answer.
Hmac

Postby rugersol on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 am

Gdawgs wrote:I guess I can see what they are looking for there.

... jest curious, what are they lookin' for there?! ... I'd be jest as bothered with them, as the guns!

FWIW, I would avoid implicating yer daughter, in this fight! ... no good can come of it! ... ya'll always lose! ... think pop-tart! ;)

ETA: answers to the questions ...

drink? 1-2 beers per month

smoke? no

guns? no
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Gdawgs on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:52 am

I guess what I was getting at with the smoke and booze at that there is at least a hint of logic there(maybe). But I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, those questions have no business being on there either.

So the hint of logic part. 1) Teacher notices that Johnny comes to school hacking up a lung everyday. Could be that mom and dad both smoke 8 packs a day in a shed with Johnny????? 2) Johnny comes to school once a week with a beat up face and a broken arm. Could be that dad is drunk 24/7 and very abusive?????

At least there could be a correlation there. But with guns??? Teacher sees that parents have guns. Better keep a close eye out for gunshot wounds on Johnny.

And I was just joking on putting yes down for the guns. All three will be blank.
Gdawgs

Postby rugersol on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 am

Gdawgs wrote:Better keep a close eye out for ... Johnny.

Not an argument ... jest a discussion! ;)

These people are about "social engineering" ... I've had my doctor tell me as much! ...

Had ya answered "yes" fer smoking, expect to see some "educational" materials coming home with little Suzy! ... drinking? ... same thing!

Frankly, I think ya got it backwards ... with the smoking and drinking ... well ... we each have our little vices! :?

... but guns?! ... if it ain't gonna be little Suzy totin' one of daddy's guns to school ... it jest might be daddy! :o ... ya've seen this, right?!

Also, FWIW, unless I had an IQ under 60, I'd see "blank" responses as "affirmative" ... 'er, at least some "right-wing, tin-foil hat, nonsense!"

Bear in mind, unless ya send little Suzy to a new school (which is most likely to be jest as bad, if not worse), she'll be goin' there fer a few years ... and all her teachers will all know each other ... and likely, whomever's reading the responses to that survey ... how would ya prefer they treat yer little Suzy ... year after year?! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Hmac on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 am

Gdawgs wrote:I guess what I was getting at with the smoke and booze at that there is at least a hint of logic there(maybe). But I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, those questions have no business being on there either.

So the hint of logic part. 1) Teacher notices that Johnny comes to school hacking up a lung everyday. Could be that mom and dad both smoke 8 packs a day in a shed with Johnny????? 2) Johnny comes to school once a week with a beat up face and a broken arm. Could be that dad is drunk 24/7 and very abusive?????

At least there could be a correlation there. But with guns??? Teacher sees that parents have guns. Better keep a close eye out for gunshot wounds on Johnny.

And I was just joking on putting yes down for the guns. All three will be blank.

Gun violence is a public health issue, just like drunk driving, motor vehicle accidents, smoking, obesity, alcoholism. The schools, like the doctors, want to do their part in addressing those public health issues. We all get to have our opinions whether or not answering those kinds of questions of doctors or school officials is a valid part of public policy or an unwanted and unwarranted intrusion into our personal lives. If people feel that the latter is true then they should just not answer. No explanation is necessary and probably shouldn't be given no matter how bad you want to make a point. Just ignore the question. Personally, I can see how some doctors might feel that those are pertinent questions as part of a health care evaluation, but I think the schools are overstepping their bounds. Those are not things IMHO that they need to know.
Hmac

Postby sansooshooter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:01 am

You are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.
public schools are hot beds of good old fashion community government engineering.
They are engineering sheeple not citizens!
sansooshooter

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 am

I must not be as nice as you guys. Not only wouldn't I answer the questions, I would write on the survey, in black sharpie, "None of your Business". I woud also attach a letter to the teacher and administration demanding to know how this information is intended to be used, why they think it's any of their business and how it pertains to your daughter's education.

Remember, they work for you not the other way around.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby goalie on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 am

I was asked that once. I asked what qualifications the MD asking me had to assess the storage and safety of my firearms? I got an odd look and silence.

The problem is, the questions are not going to be required of the doctors in order to be reimbursed for their time by the government.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Evad on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Remember, they work for you not the other way around.

That line will get you about as far with a teacher as it will a police officer who has you pulled over for speeding.
Evad

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 am

Evad wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:Remember, they work for you not the other way around.

That line will get you about as far with a teacher as it will a police officer who has you pulled over for speeding.

Sorry, there's a big difference between a police officer and a teacher.

A big problem with public education today is to many parents are intimidated into silence.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Hmac on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am

goalie wrote:The problem is, the questions are not going to be required of the doctors in order to be reimbursed for their time by the government.

Ultimately, those questions may very well be required for reimbursement, at least for patients whose health care is paid for by the government. Which, ultimately, will be virtually everyone.
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:A big problem with public education today is to many parents are intimidated into silence.

I disagree. I think that a much bigger problem is that parents are either apathetic to their children's education, or they are overtly antagonistic toward the way their kids are being taught. The number of parents formally complaining about the volume of homework their kids get is particularly distressing, as is angry input over discipline issues, grades, perceived bullying, sports.

I see little, or no, intimidation on the part of the parents by public education.
Last edited by Hmac on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Postby Tronster on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 am

frankly unless the questionare is required for her to go to that school, I would not answer any of the questions.
all they need to know is her name, parents names, and their address and any allergies or medical needs.
Tronster

Postby hornswaggle on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 am

It's none of their business if you drink, smoke, or have guns. It upsets me that they even ask the question but I guess it doesn't surprise me anymore. Like someone else said I'm sure answering yes to any of them will result in information being sent home. If they feel they must ask then there should be a big disclaimer above them explaining why they are asking and that you do not have to answer them. But to blame a teacher for this makes about as much sense as blaming a patrol cop for gun laws. Teachers are mandatory reporters of certain suspicious things they see, hear, or otherwise come to know but they don't create policy or decide what gets included in a student application form. As crazy as the recent stories are about elementary age kids talking about a squirt gun or shaping a pastry into an object that looks like a gun and getting suspended or expelled I feel the blame for how the schools handled it belongs entirely with the administration.
Last edited by hornswaggle on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, Always control the muzzle, Know your target and what is beyond it...

Either you like bacon or you're wrong....
hornswaggle

Next

Return to General Gun Chat