Interesting tidbit overheard at Fleet Farm

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Interesting tidbit overheard at Fleet Farm

Postby peckerhead on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 am

I just picked up a new handgun the other day, and have been poking around for some .45 ACP practice ammo to break it in. While at the BP Fleet Farm today, I overheard one of the employees tell a customer they're getting 1,000 inquiries about handgun ammo a day (600 calls and 400 walk-ins). They went through 7 cases of 9mm in 11 minutes (!) yesterday. And in the 5 min I was there, three people asked about 9mm ammo.
I have been making a point to avoid shooting in general since the panic began, and I'm shocked by how things have deteriorated over the last four months.
peckerhead

Re: Interesting tidbit overheard at Fleet Farm

Postby Duff-Man on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 am

IMO

It will stay like this till at least next January. November will determine if it gets better or worse.
Duff-Man

Postby exarkun on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 am

Duff-Man wrote:IMO

It will stay like this till at least next January. November will determine if it gets better or worse.

You sure you don't mean November of NEXT year. 2013 is an off year, with mostly only school board and local elections...
exarkun

Postby peckerhead on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 am

I hope you're wrong. I don't remember it being this bad last time around.
peckerhead

Postby Need4Speed on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

You'll see the same thing online. I've been watching the places that sell bulk online, and one place in particular I have been watching has been putting 500 round lots up for sale, anywhere from 25-50 of these at a time. That's anywhere from 12,500 to 25,000 rounds. They are sold out within 10 minutes. The next week when the lots go up for sale they are asking another 2-4 cents per round. Same thing, sold out in no time flat. Other places online limit you to 2 boxes, so after you pay for shipping you're getting the rubber glove treatment and no flowers. They still sell out.

I've got my limits...after shipping no more than .45 per round for 45ACP. Needless to say I'm in a bit of a dry spell! I have had two decent online purchases for 500 rounds fall thru, the companies contact me and tell me they have oversold inventory.

I have 2 walmarts within 10 miles of my house. I have not seen handgun ammo at either for months. I always make a stop at the counter if I am there picking up other crap.

FF in St cloud has been hit or miss...mostly miss.

I have 1000 rounds of 45ACP I ordered in january. With any luck they are telling me I'll get it by the end of this month.

I wonder if prices on BB's have gone up yet?
Need4Speed

Postby LarryP on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 am

Curious, Is shotgun ammo hard to get?
LarryP

Postby Need4Speed on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

LarryP wrote:Curious, Is shotgun ammo hard to get?

No. Gobs of that on the shelf. I rarely buy it, so couldn't tell you if the prices are inflated like everything else.
Need4Speed

Postby 7808 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am

out of all the places in the north metro i fequent and check there ammo departments, bp fleet farm seems to almost never have anything now, and there is always a steady small crowd of people near there firearms counter.. always

Postby SharpRule on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am

With a 10 box limit on non bulk packs, we will have to be extremely lucky to run across any target ammo. Its been over a month since I've seen any target ammo on the shelves. I have enough for a few good visits to the range but still nervous about running out after that.
XDm .45
XDm 3.8 9mm
SharpRule

Postby Duff-Man on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 am

exarkun wrote:
Duff-Man wrote:IMO

You sure you don't mean November of NEXT year. 2013 is an off year, with mostly only school board and local elections...

Sorry, I was looking ahead a bunch January 2015 (or maybe yeah didn't remember that it was an off year) ......
Duff-Man

Postby Eleanor08 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 pm

It's going to be awhile be for this gets better.

The way I see it, the gougers are making hoarders out of anyone who owns a gun. Since the ammo is bought up so quickly, the only constantly available ammo is the "double the price" stuff on armslist and gunbroker. So anyone who owns a gun buys whatever they can when they find it. The thinking being "I might not be able to find it again."

This will happen until either supply catches up, people finally feel comfortable with what they have ammo wise, or everyone gets tired of paying crazy prices.

The second market won't end until the supply comes back. At some point the guys buying up and reselling the ammo will find it no longer worth their time. By the looks of it, don't hold your breath.
Eleanor08

Postby Heffay on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

This is a good time to sell ammo. The ammo makers are probably putting out as many rounds as they can, and eventually the people who are stocking up will stop buying due to lack of funds/space/spousal approval.

It's just an ammo bubble. Be ready for the down side! And there will be a down side.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby brad3579 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Heffay wrote:This is a good time to sell ammo. The ammo makers are probably putting out as many rounds as they can, and eventually the people who are stocking up will stop buying due to lack of funds/space/spousal approval.

It's just an ammo bubble. Be ready for the down side! And there will be a down side.

This^^^^^^^^
I am guilty of selling some ammo on GB, but also have helped out people that were in need at cost.
brad3579

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 pm

brad3579 wrote:
Heffay wrote:This is a good time to sell ammo. The ammo makers are probably putting out as many rounds as they can, and eventually the people who are stocking up will stop buying due to lack of funds/space/spousal approval.

This^^^^^^^^
I am guilty of selling some ammo on GB, but also have helped out people that were in need at cost.

Dirty capitalist... :)
yuppiejr

Postby Drizzle on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Stopped at the BP Fleet Farm, got a 250 round box of Magtech 180gr jacketed flat nose for 83.99. I was surprised, thought it might be mismarked, but the clerk hit it with the pricing gun, so ok. I haven't seen under .50 a round in a while. Even though I don't shoot .40 much, it's good to have on hand.

The other gun counter clerk said they got a big shipment (of which I saw the remainders, mostly 40 and some 5.56 softpoint 55gr) yesterday, but all the 9mm and target 5.56 went before close yesterday.

It seems like you have to hit a lot of stores with regularity, and maybe you will be there when they shipment is wheeled out. I don't think they bother to put it on the shelf any longer.
Drizzle

Next

Return to General Gun Chat