Postby plblark on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:26 am

Marko has it covered:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10105030

Original Story: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10105030

Published Sunday | August 12, 2007
Omaha Housing Authority to ban guns in homes
BY ERIN GRACE
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Residents of Omaha Housing Authority properties will not be allowed to have guns - even if they own them legally - in their homes under a new policy due to take effect in October.

The state's largest provider of public housing adopted the new rule in June. It followed the passage of a separate rule in April that prohibits anyone other than sanctioned OHA employees or police officers from carrying concealed weapons in shared spaces such as lobbies and elevators or OHA offices.

Executive Director Stan Timm said the rules are "one more tool in trying to be ahead of and prevent crime."

"We're always looking for ways to improve safety," Timm said.

Tenants caught with guns in their apartments or houses could face eviction - though not criminal penalty if they possess the guns legally.

Preparations for enforcement of the new rules come as the city struggles to corral rising gun violence, particularly in northeast Omaha. The mayor has proposed an increased police presence in troubled areas, greater use of technology, including surveillance cameras, and tougher gun ordinances. Some council members are promoting a boost in police hirings to help address the issue.

Two large OHA family complexes - Pleasantview Homes near 30th and Parker Streets, and Spencer Homes near 30th and Spencer Streets - have been the backdrops for some shootings and homicides.

OHA owns and operates more than 2,600 units of public housing in its three family complexes, 11 high-rise towers and more than 600 scattered-site homes. The guns-in-the-home ban does not affect Section 8 tenants who use government vouchers to reduce rents at privately owned homes.

The housing authority is changing tenant leases to reflect these and other new rules.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Re: Omaha NE Housing Authority makes public housing Gun Free

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:47 am

Thank God. Why do we want more people from the P.J's running around with guns. If you live in the P.J's you shouldnt have the money to buy a Gun.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby plblark on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 am

:shock: Lord knows that the people least able to afford lawyers, most likely to live in lower Socio-Economic Status and environs with the accompanying higher crime rates, and most affected by even small robberies or crimes (as percentage of income or relative cost of replacement) shouldn't have the god given right to effective self defense. :o

Further, it's obvious that Leases should trump the Constitution and that you give up your rights when you give any control or accept any "help" from the nanny state. :roll: :(

[EDIT: to be CRYSTAL CLEAR, I DO NOT agree with Ace on this. Gun ownership, or licensed / permitted possession is not an indicator of criminal intent. Guns don't increase crime or make for more dangerous situations. It's the use of them that can be beneficial or harmful. They'd have MUCH better luck offering safety classes and range passes. It's not like the CRIMINALS who are ALREADY the problem will obey the new law anyway.]
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:09 am

I think ACE forgot the :SARCASM: emoticon
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby plblark on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am

It is certainly possible and I hope so. but it doesn't read that way.
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Thor on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:36 am

They could have inherited the guns!! On the serious side, this sure seems like a blatant breech of the 2nd Amendment. I wonder what Nebraska State Law says about the RKBA?? Lord forbid that the poor people could defend themselves or be able to go hunting. :roll:
Thor

Postby GregM on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 am

If I were living in a Nebraska Public Housing apartment, I'd hang on to my guns. If I had to choose between defending my home and getting evicted - OR - getting gunned down in my own bed because I had no protection, I would choose survival and eviction. Affordable housing is meaningless if you're dead.
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby plblark on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:33 pm

They have now set up the following scenario:

Jimbo, career felon who could care less about the law, trys to rob Timmy and in the process beats upon Timmy and his wife Donna. At some point, Timmy gets to the family gun and shoots Jimbo. Since Timmy and Donna cannot afford to get evicted, they do not report it to the police. Since it's a flesh wound, Jimbo treats it at home and doesn't call the police.

Eventually, Jimbo finds an unarmed victim ...
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:02 pm

BRIT_in_the_weeds wrote:I think ACE forgot the :SARCASM: emoticon

You are correct Sir.

I drive past both the Rosevelt Projects and mount Airy projects on a regular basis and for several years always thought that they were nice townhouse developments. The people who live in the P.J's drive nicer vehicles than i do and i have a combined car payment of $700 a month, so i dont think they are so Poor. People believe that just because a person that lives in the P.J'S They are Poor, you should drive past sometimes and see how the welfare works.

As for the Nebraska H.U.D Banning Guns in all of thier properties, i figure that would be no diffrent than a land lord here in Minnesota banning firearms on his property. I am sure there are several Rental properties in this state where the land lord bans guns.

If you really want to see where the real poor people who cant get in the P.J's live i would take a drive up and around 32nd ( lowry ) ave justthe other side of I94 and look at the rental properties and houses over there, and the Cars parked out there that You look at and wonder how they move.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby JDR on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:21 pm

Instead of a gun ban, how a drug ban. If you accept public money, housing, etc. you can't be on drugs. :idea:

Many have to take a drug test to be employed. How come the people that get some of our money are exempt? :?:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them" George Mason
JDR

Postby SethB on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:34 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:As for the Nebraska H.U.D Banning Guns in all of thier properties, i figure that would be no diffrent than a land lord here in Minnesota banning firearms on his property. I am sure there are several Rental properties in this state where the land lord bans guns.

Except that the law in MN says they can't.
SethB

Postby JoeH on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Since drugs are already illegal (we're talking about illegal drugs here) they won't be in the housing complex anyway. (note sarcasm)

Just hide their drugs in their work boots, they'll never find them. :)
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm

JoeH wrote:Since drugs are already illegal (we're talking about illegal drugs here) they won't be in the housing complex anyway. (note sarcasm)

Just hide their drugs in their work boots, they'll never find them. :)

Hah ha Work boots your funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aceq2jot

Postby plblark on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:15 pm

Aceq2jot wrote:

You are correct Sir.

Actually, I don't think he is. You start out to say that it was just sarcasm and then say that people living in public housing have a nicer car than you do ad that you're sure landlords in MN ban guns.

As Seth pointed out, the gun ban is clearly illegal in MN. As a matter of fact, it's SPECFICALLY called out in the carry permit law. You know, the one that's supposed to be taught AND learned in all classes before we get our permits.

So which is it? were you kidding that they shouldn't have the money for guns or are you jealous of their subsidy?

Just because some people make poor decisions on what to do with their money, spend unwisely and abuse the public subsidy which allows them to drive nicer cars than some of us, does not mean that a whole class of people should be disallowed the human right of self defense.
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:36 pm

plblark wrote:
Aceq2jot wrote:

You are correct Sir.

Actually, I don't think he is. You start out to say that it was just sarcasm and then say that people living in public housing have a nicer car than you do ad that you're sure landlords in MN ban guns.

As Seth pointed out, the gun ban is clearly illegal in MN. As a matter of fact, it's SPECFICALLY called out in the carry permit law. You know, the one that's supposed to be taught AND learned in all classes before we get our permits.

So which is it? were you kidding that they shouldn't have the money for guns or are you jealous of their subsidy?

Just because some people make poor decisions on what to do with their money, spend unwisely and abuse the public subsidy which allows them to drive nicer cars than some of us, does not mean that a whole class of people should be disallowed the human right of self defense.

I Have read the law and have yet to see where it says that a landlord cannot Write into the lease that guns are banned?

No where in the law does it state a landlord cannot bans Guns as part of the lease It is all about what is written into the lease. You by agreeing to sign the lease are waiving your rights, so there is no law broken as you waive your rights. Its all in the way you read the law i guess;)

It appears all you want to do is go around and try and pick arguements with people. Like the personal attack you are launching on me. And i am sorry that i am not Anal Retentive and cant remember the class i took word for word, but i have better things to do than remember crap that does not pertain to me as i own a house.

Why should i be jealous of some one who lives in the Projects?? I actually go to WORK everyday and i have been working 14 days straight So that i can provide more for myself ;) I have no desire to buy a Japanese sports car that cost $30,000 But if i did own one i am sure it would be worth to much for me to even qualify to live in the P.J's. Cause i think the goverment would figure if i could afford the payment i dont need to live in the P.J's.

Talk to some Law Enforcement Officials and you will hear about the drug dealers that live there and the fine upstanding members of society you feel should have guns, that are called Gang Members.

I must ask if you have actually walked around the P.J's or Knew people who lived there?? Or even spent a few days at a friends house who lived in the Ghetto. I am just curious if you have first hand Knowledge, cause i Do and i can tell ya them places are not pretty. I have lived over on Morgan and Lowry in the heart of north Minneapolis and let me tell ya it no place for a Cracker.

I some how feel that you may be happier back at T.C.C as this forum is one that Protects everyones 1st amendment, by giving the freedom of speech and not READING P.M'S( And that would Be P.M for private messge) And the rule of personal attack dont Apply to everyone it just depends on who you are.

SIR. I would suggest that you Aquiant yourself with the Rules of this board as contary to the other place where you are allowed to perform Personal Attacks, they are Against the rules here.

EDITED TO COMPLY TO BOARD RULES.

Aceq2jot

Next

Return to General Gun Chat