process for selling a firearm?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

process for selling a firearm?

Postby 7808 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:34 pm

what process do you guys usually go through when selling a firearm to another member ? do you have them meet you at a ffl or is there some paper work or bill of sale that is legal proof of sale that can be done by two people? ive never actually sold a gun to a stranger :x

Re: process for selling a firearm?

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:44 pm

No need for FFL. Bill of sale and some form of ID. Many require PTC or PTP but none of these are actual requirements for legal person to person sale.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby scarletvw on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:45 pm

When I've worked with someone else I meet them in a public place and make sure to see their PTP or PTC. You can do a Bill of Sale, but otherwise I don't believe there is anything you really need to do.
scarletvw

Postby brad3579 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:50 pm

brad3579

Postby gman1868 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 pm

CYA -

I insist on a photocopy of a permit to purchase or permit to carry. Have a bill of sale that lists the serial number of the gun and the drivers license number. If you want to make sure the purchase is smooth you can take it to a shop like Gunstop or Arnzen Arms and let them handle the transfer
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby 45Badger on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

gman1868 wrote:CYA -

I insist on a photocopy of a permit to purchase or permit to carry. Have a bill of sale that lists the serial number of the gun and the drivers license number. If you want to make sure the purchase is smooth you can take it to a shop like Gunstop or Arnzen Arms and let them handle the transfer

I do none of the above. If a seller or buyer wants that info from me, I'll pass. Or do the transaction at an FFL (with other party covering any fees) if It's such a screaming deal or unique need that I cannot pass it up.
ALL that this legally required i Minnesota (and most states) is that the buyer and seller be from same state and the seller have no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited from possessing a firearm. My drill- show drive licenses, smile, ask if they are a wife beater, pothead, habitual drunkard, dishonorably discharged,felon, or if they have renounced their US citizenship, or if there is any legal reason that they cannot legally take possession of the gun. If they say "No", we swap guns for cash and move on.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby 7808 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 pm

sorry, i should have googled this before making a post i guess. seems to be plenty of info out there. i came across this which seems to cover it pretty plain and simple

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-cha ... red-3.html

Postby XDM45 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:06 pm

If you do a private sale without going through an FFL and that gun gets used in a year or less for a crime, I believe the seller can legally be held accountable for it in MN. If you go through an FFL, then you're all good.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby DoxaPar on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 pm

While I understand the concern for "cya" if you're the seller the buyer needs to "cya" too. As such, I'd never let the seller photocopy my ID.
DoxaPar

Postby XDM45 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm

DoxaPar wrote:While I understand the concern for "cya" if you're the seller the buyer needs to "cya" too. As such, I'd never let the seller photocopy my ID.

Agreed.

As a buyer, I've shown my PTC and DL to the seller, but no copies. Signed a sale receipt / record of the transaction and got a copy, that's it. As a seller, I'd go through an FFL because I want to CMA. Luckily though, I never sell what I buy, so for me it's a non-issue really.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby SparkyJeff on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm

XDM45 wrote:If you do a private sale without going through an FFL and that gun gets used in a year or less for a crime, I believe the seller can legally be held accountable for it in MN. If you go through an FFL, then you're all good.

Interesting.
How does that work?
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby xd ED on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm

DoxaPar wrote:While I understand the concern for "cya" if you're the seller the buyer needs to "cya" too. As such, I'd never let the seller photocopy my ID.

That's my thought as well.
If there isn't enough trust, and apparent compliance on each side that 'show me yours/ here's mine' can satisfy both parties, then forget it, or take it to a FFL.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby DoxaPar on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm

xd ED wrote:

That's my thought as well.
If there isn't enough trust, and apparent compliance on each side that 'show me yours/ here's mine' can satisfy both parties, then forget it, or take it to a FFL.

Totally. And it's not just about trusting the seller. It's also about asking, 'What will happen to this document when he decides he doesn't need it anymore'. Most likely the trash. And if you live where I live there is a good chance that trash will be rummaged through for other valuables.
DoxaPar

Postby gman1868 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 pm

If you use an FFL, that's the best way to ensure a safe transaction.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby 7808 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am

alot of conflicting info and advice :x anyone know a criminal defence attorney lol

if the law says you can do it i dont see how they can expect to hold a seller responsible no matter what happens when with the sold firearm, as long as the person you sell to produces a permit and matching id. .. but i guess if you loose the piece of paper you had the buyer sign and somthing happens, what proof do you have?

Next

Return to General Gun Chat