Gun Raffle suggestions

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun Raffle suggestions

Postby greenfarmer on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Ok, I'm not sure if i should be posting this in this forum, or a different one, but i figured this is general gun chat.

So, i'm a member of Shady Lane sportsmans club, and every year we have a 10 gun raffle. So i'm on the committe to help pick out the guns, and i just recieved a suggested list. 12 guns on it, and we are supposed to pick the guns, and if we want something different, to let them know. Here's what they suggested.

DPMS Oracle .223/5.56 AR
Marlin XL7
Henry 22LR Lever
Savage 93 .22mag F
Browning Buckmark Camper FO .22LR
Win SXP 3 1/2" 12ga Blk
Mossberg 500 20ga Bantam
Weatherby SA-08 20ga Deluxe Auto
Rem 700 300RUM
Weatherby Vanguard 30-06
Benelli Montefeltro 12ga Silver SA (this gun is beautifully engraved)
Marlin 1895 45/70 Lever

These are guns they gave us to fit our price range of what we want to spend. Would this list be a good list or can you tell me what would help to make this a better list. The tickets are 10/ticket for a chance to win. So far we figured around 1200 tickets. Last year that's what they printed off and sold around 980 tickets. Fundraisers are tough for sportsmans clubs. So I want to put the best gun raffle together we can for our budget. I would like to have a nice list to present to the club for our May meeting. I wanted to have a pistol or two on there, because they are cheaper, and then maybe add in another benelli or another high end shotgun. But some members of the club aren't to enthused because of the PTP required. But they can always take their choice of a different gun or cash if they can't get a PTP or don't have one.

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Re: Gun Raffle suggestions

Postby Heffay on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 pm

A website to buy the raffle tickets online!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby tenmilmag on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Winchester has it's new model 94 30-30 lever out. Although it is being mfr'd in Japan, it is a quality gun.

Hand guns.... S&W 686

Be sure to let us know when tickets go on sale. ;)
tenmilmag

Postby greenfarmer on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Heffay wrote:A website to buy the raffle tickets online!

I will make the suggestion at the next meeting to see if they would want to sell them online. I don't think there would be any sort of law against it being it's a fundraiser. But i'll bring it up at the next meeting. If they don't want to sell them online, for anyone that would be interested, i'd be glad to do some driving and meet up at a local gun shop or something like that as well.
greenfarmer

Postby greenfarmer on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 pm

tenmilmag wrote:Winchester has it's new model 94 30-30 lever out. Although it is being mfr'd in Japan, it is a quality gun.

Hand guns.... S&W 686

Be sure to let us know when tickets go on sale. ;)

According to the last meeting, tickets will be handed out in June at the meeting, which is the second tuesday of the month. And the drawing will be held on Saturday August 24th. Open to the public with an open shooting day. Bring whatever you want to shoot, or shoot some of the guns that are brought in by members to try out different guns. Pistol, trap, and 100 and 200 yard ranges. Burgers, pop and everything else. I will know an approximate time at the next meeting of when the drawing will take place that day. But all of the guns will be on display, and i believe the dealer will be there as well to do the FFL on the spot. So anyone that wants will be able to take theirs home that day will be able to as long as they pass their background check.
greenfarmer

Postby greenfarmer on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm

The nice thing about the list i was given by the dealer is, all of these guns are in stock. All 12 are pulled off of the shelf for now, and as soon as we narrow it down to the final 10, those will be kept in the back room for the raffle. So every gun on the list will actually be available. Rather than having an uncertainty on certain guns.
greenfarmer

Postby LumberZach on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Looks like a good list. Are the winners given random guns or how does that work? I would probably suggest popular of popular cartridges. Such as 12ga. instead of 20, and maybe something more common than 300RUM. Small things like that. Otherwise, looks like a solid raffle.
LumberZach

Postby bensdad on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 am

Switch the Henry lever .22 to a Golden Boy. Increased ticket sales will WAY more than make up for the increased cost of the gun.

Ditch the 300RUM. Use the money to add two more Mossberg 20ga. Bantams.

Change the Savage 93 from 22mag to 17hmr. Just has more flair to it. Plus, everyone who's gonna be buying tickets has walked past ammo shelves full of 17hmr for the last few months.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby rugersol on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:12 am

Ya, I'd get rid of the .300 RUM! ... maybe .308?!

... is it ok if the dealer orders jest one gun?! :?
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby scarletvw on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 am

I say get rid of the Savage 93 .22mag F and Rem 700 300RUM. Keep the rest.
scarletvw

Postby sapalas on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 am

Damn it, I knew I was going to miss something this month. I spaced the fact that the 9th was the meeting day. In my head I thought it was the 16th. I will have to make it the next few months.
sapalas

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:19 am

Nothing from RUGER??? How about a 10/22 rifle? Or a Vaquero revolver? or the new 1911 pistol?
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Dante on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 am

Not to be a dick, but they have a gambling license or are able to use another org's gambling license?
Dante

Postby greenfarmer on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:10 am

Dante wrote:Not to be a dick, but they have a gambling license or are able to use another org's gambling license?

They already have that thru the state. They applied in march and picked the date of the august 24th as the day of the giveway. So that's all legit thru the state.
greenfarmer

Postby bensdad on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 am

Dante wrote:Not to be a dick, but they have a gambling license or are able to use another org's gambling license?

That's not being a dick. It's a good question. Getting caught with their pants down on that issue would be a very bad thing.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Next

Return to General Gun Chat