4%
Noveske
16%
Neither...a receiver is a receiver is a receiver
79%

Total votes : 43

Looking to do my first Ar build

Postby Doc Harvey on Mon May 13, 2013 7:13 pm

...and I need some input from my good friends here at MGT. There's just "something" about the Boberg lower. I can't put my finger on it, but it was love at first sight. Noveske lowers come in a close second. But for the price of either one, it almost seems like I could get two of another brand. Am I being a snob? Does it really matter which lower I choose? I'm pretty sure I don't want a polymer lower, aside from that, feel free to educate me. Thanks!

Before anyone asks...I'm not sure what I plan to do with it. I already have a carbine length AR and a .308 AR. This one will probably be either a full-length or a middy. It will most likely be a 5.56/.223 build, but I am also considering .300 AAC and 5.45x39. Seeing as how I'm trying really, really hard to consolidate calibers in my household, I'll most likely stick to 5.56.
Doc Harvey

Re: Looking to do my first Ar build

Postby Bulldog1856 on Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

You really should check out the new schreyer weapons system lowers that Atomic Tactical has. They are local and made by a member here. They really are some of the nicest lowers I have seen.
Bulldog1856

Postby AR-15collector on Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Bills has a Black Rain lower for $269, well worth the money IMO, personally I like the integrated trigger guard, the less pins I have to worry about the better.
AR-15collector

Postby Special Projects on Mon May 13, 2013 7:51 pm

+1 for Schreyer (sp?), I looked them over at atomic a couple of weeks back and they are feature-rich and finished beautifully.

Pen and Sword in Accord.
Special Projects

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Another vote for Schreyer. I've got a Noveske N4 gen 2 as well, and I'd take another of Jordan's over another Noveske even though it's not forged and more money.

Noveske gets the mall ninja votes, but the Schreyer is a notch above it in form/function.
FJ540

Postby Doc Harvey on Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

That is great input! I'll definitely go over to Atmoic and take a look! Thanks!
Doc Harvey

Postby Hmac on Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Can't speak to Boberg, but I've done several builds, rifles and SBRs, on Noveske lowers. The thing about lowers, if you get a good one, it's likely to be as good as any other good one. The issue is quality assurance. The reason why expensive lowers cost more is generally because the mfgr throws away more because they don't meet their more rigid specs and/or they test the specs of more of their lowers than the lower tier brands. IOW, you're more likely to get good quality in a Noveske lower (maybe Boberg too, I don't know) than with some other brands.

I don't know anything about Schreyer either. Pretty new, are they? Guess I'd be inclined to stick with a known and proven lower, but one advantage to Schreyer (or Boberg) is that they're local. If you get one with "problems", it will be easier to get the problem addressed.
Last edited by Hmac on Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hmac

Postby onebohemian on Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Both are made in MN, so that's a wash. I've built a lower out of both and they were both easy to use, although I had to chase the threads for the grip screw on the Schreyer because they were binding bad and I was afraid if I forced it I might damage it. The Schreyer has the addition of a set screw to remove play between the lower and the upper if you need that. Also, the Schreyer has a tiny set screw to capture the detent and spring for the rear take down pin. That's a nice feature if you remove the buffer tube/buttstock nut/plate more often. The finish on the Boberg is far superior to that on the Schreyer though. It's smoother and not as dull/chalky as the Schreyer's. Finally, although it's only cosmetic, the Boberg's trademark is cooler than the Schreyer's (in my opinion).

Good luck.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Punisher102 on Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 pm

I built mine with a McKay from Nodak spuds. Its roll marked Bloomington MN. McKay is from I believe Inver Grove Heights, and Nodak Spuds is Edina Not sure how Bloomington plays into it. Either way they are VERY local to me.
Punisher102

Postby Consummate on Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words fellas. :D

onebohemian, shoot me a message with your serial number. I'd be curious to see what batch it was. We had some we rushed over to Atomic and they didn't get their proper oil bath which eliminates the "chalky" feeling. :cry:

Regardless I prefer our cerakoted versions. :)

If you guys have any questions/concerns feel free to shoot me a message!

-Jordan

07 FFL SOT
Also providing Cerakote Firearm finishes
Born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will.
http://www.SchreyerWeaponSystems.com

LIKE us! http://www.Facebook.com/SchreyerWeaponSystems
Consummate

Postby PRS on Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 am

Arnzen has a black rain upper and lower $400 for the pair
PRS

Postby snlit3 on Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 am

PRS wrote:Arnzen has a black rain upper and lower $400 for the pair

I'd buy that.
snlit3

Postby Northfield 556 on Sun May 19, 2013 10:17 pm

FJ540 wrote:Another vote for Schreyer. I've got a Noveske N4 gen 2 as well, and I'd take another of Jordan's over another Noveske even though it's not forged and more money.

Noveske gets the mall ninja votes, but the Schreyer is a notch above it in form/function.

"Mall ninja votes", I guess the thousands of rounds of flawless function from my multiple Noveske rifles is just a fluke. How can you speak about Noveske vs Schreyer, when the lowers have only been produced for a few months. How many rounds have you put through each? :blah:
Northfield 556

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 am

How many rounds were put through my FN M16 in the 11 years prior to it being issued to me? Where are they on "the chart?" :roll:

A lower is a low stress part until you start using it like a club. How many doors have you smashed in with your multiple noveskes?

Even a plastic lower will run for a while before breaking. It's not that critical of part in the scheme of a functional rifle.
FJ540

Postby Lunchbox on Mon May 20, 2013 1:02 am

I've been able to handle a bunch of various lowers over the past few months. For fit and finish above all else, I'd say a Schreyer. The Bobergs, I've seen and handled don't match up to well to any uppers I've tried (Daniel Defense, CMMG, DPMS) there's a step along the seem between the two part (just a bit too wide). You could go the name route (Noveske et all) or get a decent piece for the sake of a name, or buy a piece that will be backed up.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Next

Return to General Gun Chat