Fleet Farm's 3 gun informercial

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Fleet Farm's 3 gun informercial

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Anyone else catch it?

I only saw half yesterday morning on one of the off-local channels (45?) when I was cruising for a car or home improvement show (we don't have pay tv).

The thing is made up like some outdoor tv show, where they have a 3 gun match at some place in MO. The "host" is supposedly a noob shooter.
FJ540

Re: Fleet Farm's 3 gun informercial

Postby MNGunGuy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:52 pm

The two or three part series is on YouTube.
MNGunGuy

Postby MNGunGuy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 pm

MNGunGuy

Postby shooter115 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 pm

I belive the show is called "We Love it Outdoors", and it's hosted by Dan Engen ( I think). I also believe the show airs on Fox Sports North. That being the network, I'm not sure the 3 gun episode aired, since Fox Sports is the same network that cancelled "3-Gun Nation" shortly after the Sandy Hook tragedy. Could be totally wrong here since I don't watch much TV.

I did catch it online though, and FWIW the show was pretty damn awesome IMO. Gives a great deal of insight on why we shoot 3-gun, why it's the most exiting shooting sport out there and why it's so addictive.

Paging Dave to set us straight..........
shooter115

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:21 pm

"The preceding program was a paid presentation." ;)
FJ540

Postby benny on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Nice vids but I think they should rethink their water back stop!!! Not safe to shoot into water, the bullets can skip in almost any direction and I don't care if there was 100 miles of wood behind the lake either!! Just not safe and not good for the sport to show some one shooting at water.

Benny
benny

Postby shooter115 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:08 pm

benny wrote:Nice vids but I think they should rethink their water back stop!!! Not safe to shoot into water, the bullets can skip in almost any direction and I don't care if there was 100 miles of wood behind the lake either!! Just not safe and not good for the sport to show some one shooting at water.

Benny

Good effin grief.....there's always gotta be one.
shooter115

Postby Dave Timm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 am

FJ540 wrote:Anyone else catch it?

I only saw half yesterday morning on one of the off-local channels (45?) when I was cruising for a car or home improvement show (we don't have pay tv).

The thing is made up like some outdoor tv show, where they have a 3 gun match at some place in MO. The "host" is supposedly a noob shooter.

It is our outdoors show, We Love it! Outdoors, presented by Mills Fleet Farm. Since we are presenting it, the message that Mills paid for time is shown, it is a TV program focused on the outdoors, and the people having fun. We have episodes on hunting, fishing, family adventure, and shooting sports. It airs on various Fox Sports channels around the Midwest and is on a dedicated YouTube channel linked above.

FJ, I'm not sure how to read your post, I could be perceiving it wrong and if so I apologize but if you're insinuating we are being dishonest or misleading its not the case. Our host is Dan Eigen, he is a Brainerd area fishing guide and outdoorsman. He does a lot of great things in our area, including numerous things with the youth, on top of that he is genuinely one of the nicest person I've met and has a contagious positive energy. He really is a noob shooter, his first time shooting an AR was for our prarie dog episode, and his first time shooting a pistol was for the 3 gun episodes posted above. He was a quick learner, for example day one of shooting an AR we started on a range with steel and he was making great hits, next day he shot a coyote at around 500 yards. Pretty good shooting for a "noob." No sleepers or tricks, we took him as green as they come and threw him in a national 3 gun match. On part 2 our friend Payne helped out and of course was always a pleasure shooting with him. He has been my mentor in 3 gun since my first MN match and we all learned a lot from him.

We have some more episodes planned for next season and hope to be at some local shooting events. The best part about any episode is the people, no matter the activity it was fun meeting such wonderful folks. The show is a way for people to see and learn what is going on outside of the normal hunting and fishing shows. We want folks to get out and do it for themselves and have fun...outdoors. Yes the show features our stores and products and the advertisers are companies or products that are related to the stores. I don't even like fishing that much, mostly because I never catch anything, and I enjoyed watching the fishing shows. It's a good show, please check it out.

If anyone has any questions please ask, and boy does the camera add a few pounds :D

Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:25 am

You're taking this way too personally.

Midway's Shooting USA is also likely a paid spot (as in they have to pay Sportsmans Channel to air it), but it doesn't read so heavily biased towards the house brands. Your script reads like a huldra infomercial, not a gun show.
FJ540

Postby Erud on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 am

benny wrote:Nice vids but I think they should rethink their water back stop!!! Not safe to shoot into water, the bullets can skip in almost any direction and I don't care if there was 100 miles of wood behind the lake either!! Just not safe and not good for the sport to show some one shooting at water.

Benny

Holy crap, you'd better let the folks out at Camp Perry, Ohio know about this dangerous situation! They've been holding the US National Rifle matches there since around 1906 using Lake Erie as a backstop. It's also a National Guard post with live fire on the range all the time. Sure, nobody has gotten hurt yet, but if what you say is true, it's just a matter of time!
Erud

Postby Hmac on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 am

The show has interesting content, Dave. Nice job. Put me in the column of "not giving a crap" about product bias. It doesn't affect the validity of the content nor it's merit.
Hmac

Postby 45xdacp on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:02 am

Hmac wrote:The show has interesting content, Dave. Nice job. Put me in the column of "not giving a crap" about product bias. It doesn't affect the validity of the content nor it's merit.

+1

Had to laugh a little at Dan when the lightning came in, I think the pucker meter was pretty high at 21:32 :D

45xdacp

Postby 20mm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 am

Erud wrote:

Benny

Holy crap, you'd better let the folks out at Camp Perry, Ohio know about this dangerous situation! They've been holding the US National Rifle matches there since around 1906 using Lake Erie as a backstop. It's also a National Guard post with live fire on the range all the time. Sure, nobody has gotten hurt yet, but if what you say is true, it's just a matter of time!

Using Camp Perry as an example is idiotic. It is a dangerous situation, and that's why the entire impact zone is restricted to navigation when in use.

33 Navigation and Navigable Waters 3 2011-07-01 2011-07-01 false Lake Erie, west end, north of Erie Ordnance Depot, Lacarne, Ohio. 334.850 Section 334.850 Navigation and Navigable Waters CORPS OF ENGINEERS, DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DANGER ZONE AND RESTRICTED AREA REGULATIONS § 334.850 Lake Erie, west end, north of Erie Ordnance Depot, Lacarne, Ohio. (a) The danger zone: Consists of the waters of Lake Erie within: (1) Danger Area I. The sector of a circle with a radius of 6,500 yards centered at latitude 41°32′30″ N., longitude 33°01′00″ W., and intersecting the southwest boundary of Area II at latitude 41°35′00″ N., longitude 83°03′22″ W., and the southeast boundary of Area II at latitude 41°34′20″ N., longitude 82°57′10″ W. (2) Danger Area II (Includes Area I). The area bounded as follows: Beginning at latitude 41°32′30″ N., longitude 83°01′00″ W.; thence to latitude 41°35′00″ N., longitude 83°03′22″ W.; thence to latitude 41°36′00″ N., longitude 83°03′24″ W.; thence to latitude 41°41′30″ N., longitude 83°07′30″ W.; thence to latitude 41°41′30″ N., longitude 83°00′00″ W.; thence to latitude 41°35′40″ N., longitude 82°54′50″ W.; and thence to the point of beginning. (b) Types of firing—(1) Danger Area I. Small arms impact area. (2) Danger Area II. Ground-based artillery, antiaircraft artillery and automatic weapons impact area. (c) Authorized dates and hours of firing: (1) Danger Area I. 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., e.s.t./e.d.t., daily; actual firing dates and hours within the authorized period to be announced in advance in special firing notices. (2) Danger Area II. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., e.s.t./e.d.t., daily except on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays; actual firing dates and hours scheduled within authorized period to be announced in advance in special firing notices. (d) Restrictions. (1) No person or vessel shall enter or remain in a danger zone during a scheduled firing period announced in a special firing notice unless specific permission is granted in each instance by a representative of the enforcing officer. (2) The danger areas within the danger zone shall be open to the public for navigation, fishing and other public use when firing and/or bombing is not scheduled. (e) Enforcing agencies. The regulations in this section shall be enforced for the respective danger areas by the following commanders and such agencies as each may designate for his assigned areas. He will be responsible for proving the prescribed control, signals, and special firing notices. (1) Danger Area I. Adjutant General, State of Ohio. (2) Danger Area II. Adjutant General, State of Ohio. (f) Control and signals—(1) Danger Area I. When firing into Area I, red flags will be flown from the safety tower at Camp Perry, and from flag poles in the butts of the ranges being used. (2) Danger Area II. During all types of firing into Area II, red flags will be displayed, one from the safety tower at Camp Perry and one from the safety tower at the Erie Proof Front. During firing into Area II, patrol boats will police and maintain surveillance of the area, and will be in constant radio communication with the shore station controlling the firing. (3) [Reserved] (4) The appropriate enforcing officer has authority to suspend any scheduled firing for reasonable periods during regattas and immediately after fishing nets are destroyed or dislocated by severe storms. (5) The special firing notices which will include schedules of use will be published by the enforcing officer indicated in paragraph (e) of this section, in sufficient time to permit circularization to interested parties and posting on the bulletin boards of post offices in surrounding localities. Special notices will also be furnished the District Engineer, Corps of Engineers, Detroit, Mich.; the Commander, Ninth Coast Guard District, Cleveland, Ohio; the Regional Manager, Federal Aviation Administration, Chicago, Ill.; and each of the enforcing agencies listed in paragraph (e) of this section. Users of the waterway shall familiarize themselves with the current special firing notices. If in doubt, inquiry should be made to the enforcing officer indicated in paragraph (e) of this section. (6) Agencies desiring to use the areas shall present their requirements to the respective enforcing officer who is responsible for, and is granted authority to, coordinate the firing and established priorities, for the using agencies. (g) Fishing permits. Fishermen desiring to set fixed nets within the danger zone are required in every instance to have written permits. Permits for placing nets within Areas I and II may be obtained by written application to the Adjutant General, State of Ohio. Applicants for permits must state the location at which they desire to set fixed nets and the period of time which they desire the permit to cover. (h) Injurious chemicals. No phosphorus or other poisonous chemicals injurious to wild fowl or fish will be discharged into the waters of the areas. (i) The regulations in this section shall be reviewed annually by the Department of the Army to determine whether further limitations of the danger zone shall be considered. [35 FR 17178, Nov. 7, 1970, as amended at 37 FR 20026, Sept. 23, 1972. Redesignated at 50 FR 42696, Oct. 22, 1985, as amended at 62 FR 17556, Apr. 10, 1997]

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopos ... file=36952
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Erud on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:20 am

Yeah, I'd like to think that as a general rule, people, vehicles, etc are kept out of impact zones at ALL ranges when firing is going on. Check your local club's rule book, I bet one of the rules is something like "no people down range when line is hot". Obviously, the same would go for Camp Perry. My point was more about water not being inherrently extra-dangerous as a backstop as was suggested by Benny. Thanks for the lesson, though!
Erud

Postby Dave Timm on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:04 pm

FJ540 wrote:You're taking this way too personally.

Midway's Shooting USA is also likely a paid spot (as in they have to pay Sportsmans Channel to air it), but it doesn't read so heavily biased towards the house brands. Your script reads like a huldra infomercial, not a gun show.

Nah, I don't take much too personally :D Since we are paying for the show of course we are going to highlight our products. Thanks for the PM, I'm going to send a reply later.

Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Next

Return to General Gun Chat