New gun range coming to Osseo!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: New gun range coming to Osseo!

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 pm

They must've changed the restrictions then - good!

Winter time is my R&D period, so I do shoot - but I shoot 100yds at my land.

State of the art has nothing on nature. ;)
FJ540

Postby Snakeman721 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:22 pm

FJ540 wrote:They must've changed the restrictions then - good!

Winter time is my R&D period, so I do shoot - but I shoot 100yds at my land.

State of the art has nothing on nature. ;)

Nice...although Nature sometimes gets a bit too cold for me. Kinda hard to shoot straight when I'm shivering and my eyes are watering over so much I can barely see because it's -15 outside. :)
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby FJ540 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 pm

My pop froze solid while I was accuracy testing the revised 5.56 STD last winter. :lol:

Warm clothes and chemical warmers in your boots go a long way. ;)
FJ540

Postby autobahn on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Yeah, Bill's range is a trash pit compared to this place. I always feel filthy and my lungs hurt when I shoot at Bill's, not to mention all the unsafe folks and the people who come in there to shoot 7.62x54R out of their M44s. Also, a lot of us live close to the city and Rogers, Forest Lake, etc are a really long haul.
autobahn

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Stopped in with a buddy to check it out and we shared a lane for their $27 deal.

The Pro's
- the range and facility is 1st class, it is well laid out, clean and even has a nice lounge in the lobby area
- the lanes are wide, excellent lighting and air handling
- staff is courteous and seemed to want to make sure you enjoyed your visit
- check is easy and nice with a iPad application
- sound deadening is very good, you can barely hear the range in the lobby

The Con's
- their RSO's need to be a little more diligent, I was swept three times in the 45 minutes I was on the range, they rented a gun to a guy and did not have a case and he carried it uncased tucked under his arm the whole length of the firing line, then stood in the back of the range talking to the RSO while he swung it back and forth behind me
- they don't have any tables behind the lanes, so you have no place to set anything, the workout benches that have are terrible for trying to sit on to reload and they just make the area more of a hazard
- the target holders are kinda messed up, they want you to tape each target to a cardboard T that hangs below the rail. Kinda of a pain to peel tape of the spool of masking tape. Clips, stables or even tape dispensers would make it a lot easier to swap targets.

Summary
- Prefer Target Sports range layout
- Prefer Osseo's air handling
- Prefer Target Sports method of mounting targets
- Prefer Osseo's wide lane
- Prefer Target Sports rates
- Customer service is pretty even, both excellent
mmcnx2

Postby Snakeman721 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:23 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:Stopped in with a buddy to check it out and we shared a lane for their $27 deal.

The Pro's
- the range and facility is 1st class, it is well laid out, clean and even has a nice lounge in the lobby area
- the lanes are wide, excellent lighting and air handling
- staff is courteous and seemed to want to make sure you enjoyed your visit
- check is easy and nice with a iPad application
- sound deadening is very good, you can barely hear the range in the lobby

The Con's
- their RSO's need to be a little more diligent, I was swept three times in the 45 minutes I was on the range, they rented a gun to a guy and did not have a case and he carried it uncased tucked under his arm the whole length of the firing line, then stood in the back of the range talking to the RSO while he swung it back and forth behind me
- they don't have any tables behind the lanes, so you have no place to set anything, the workout benches that have are terrible for trying to sit on to reload and they just make the area more of a hazard
- the target holders are kinda messed up, they want you to tape each target to a cardboard T that hangs below the rail. Kinda of a pain to peel tape of the spool of masking tape. Clips, stables or even tape dispensers would make it a lot easier to swap targets.

Summary
- Prefer Target Sports range layout
- Prefer Osseo's air handling
- Prefer Target Sports method of mounting targets
- Prefer Osseo's wide lane
- Prefer Target Sports rates
- Customer service is pretty even, both excellent

Sorry about you being swept by a rent-a-gun. I didn't work today, but as a RSO, I try my best to make sure that doesn't happen when I'm there. The shooters who rent a gun are supposed to carry them in and out in a small black tote unloaded, magazine out, NOT IN THEIR HAND or under their arm, I don't know why that wasn't caught. We DO have staplers that you can use to staple your target to the cardboard tee, I'm surprised that that wasn't pointed out to you. There are no tables behind the line for a good reason...you already mentioned it, getting swept by gun muzzles or people loading their guns behind the line. That's why there are no tables behind the line. I've asked the owner Chris about getting short stools for anyone that wants to sit and shoot...he's looking into it. The customer's word carries more clout than mine. :) The two padded benches are for anyone that wants to sit and watch (spouses, etc.) or to sit and load mags. Unfortunatly, they tend to get covered up with coats, targets, and other stuff. It's a new range with new owners just starting out. They are open to suggestions on how to improve the shooter's experience, so if there's something you'd like to see change ask for Chris or his wife Jeanine and they will do their best to accomodate you or at least tell you why something is the way it is. BTW, I'm Scott and will be working there this Th, F, Sat, and Sun afternoons and evenings. If you decide to come and shoot again, come on over and say "Hello". I try my best to make sure everyone is safe, obeying the rules and having a good time. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Scott, I understand the concept of not having the tables in the back. However, the other two guys that swept me had uncased pistols form bags on the floor and walked them to the line. So I'm not really sure not having tables changes the risk much.

I did like the shelf under the lane table to store the case, nice use of space and convenient.

They must have moved the staplers today, everyone had a roll of tape, but good to hear that option is there. It is a lot faster and easier on us old guys that can't find the tag end of the tape.

I do think they have a nice facility and as you mention they are working out processes and I expect they will iron out the few operational glitches as time goes on.

I certainly will consider going back.
mmcnx2

Postby Snakeman721 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:23 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:Scott, I understand the concept of not having the tables in the back. However, the other two guys that swept me had uncased pistols form bags on the floor and walked them to the line. So I'm not really sure not having tables changes the risk much.

I did like the shelf under the lane table to store the case, nice use of space and convenient.

They must have moved the staplers today, everyone had a roll of tape, but good to hear that option is there. It is a lot faster and easier on us old guys that can't find the tag end of the tape.

I do think they have a nice facility and as you mention they are working out processes and I expect they will iron out the few operational glitches as time goes on.

I certainly will consider going back.

Thanks! Yeah, sorry about the sweeps. They're supposed to uncase at the line. I had two different guys uncase their ARs behind the line Saturday before I could catch them as I was attending to someone else about something. They got a talking to from me and recased them properly when they were done shooting. It's a bit harder for one RSO to watch the entire 10 lane side, especially if I'm talking to a shooter about safety procedures or helping newbies tack up targets and explaining how to use the target carrier system. Yeah, the shelves under the lane tables are cool and I try to point them out to people. The staplers were there last Thursday but may have been in the middle 5 lanes and an RSO didn't get them. Last I saw, we had 3 small office type staplers and 3 heavy duty staple "tackers" attached to small 2 x 4 blocks of wood (partly so they don't "walk off" but mostly so you can use them as a backer and not staple your finger...like I did a few days ago :) ).
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Snakeman721 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Lane rentals just got cheaper! The pricing is $23/person...eyes,ears and 3 targets included or $27 for 2 people. There is also a lunchtime special...$14/person (eyes, ears and 3 targets) Monday-Friday 11AM-1PM. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby ranger on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Snakeman721 wrote: There is also a lunchtime special...$14/person (eyes, ears and 3 targets) Monday-Friday 11AM-1PM. :D

Or two people for $21.00........ correct?
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby leftoverture on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:23 am

I am anxious to try out the new Osseo range. Hope to get out there this weekend or next!
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
leftoverture

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:20 pm

ranger wrote:
Snakeman721 wrote: There is also a lunchtime special...$14/person (eyes, ears and 3 targets) Monday-Friday 11AM-1PM. :D

Or two people for $21.00........ correct?

Not sure on that...I'm just conveying what was told to me by the owner.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:23 pm

leftoverture wrote:I am anxious to try out the new Osseo range. Hope to get out there this weekend or next!

I'll be there this Sat and Sun. Say Hello if you stop by. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat