Does address on PTC need to match DL for handgun purchase?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby ArtVandelay on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Like title says does the address on my PTC need to match the address on my DL to purchase a handgun? I have purchased about 5-6 guns from different LGS and a couple FFL dealers after moving and not wanting to pay the $10 to get a new PTC card with zero issues. Today at Gander Mt in Rogers they said I could not purchase any firearm with a PTC and license that did not have matching addresses.

Have the other LGS and FFL dealers been breaking the law? Or Gander Mt mistaken on this?

Thanks for your comments!
Four boxes protect our freedom. They are: Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.
ArtVandelay

Re: Does address on PTC need to match DL for handgun purchase?

Postby BemidjiDweller on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:21 pm

You are breaking the law if you moved and didn't update your PTC within 30 days.

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.
BemidjiDweller

Postby ArtVandelay on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:33 pm

BemidjiDweller wrote:You are breaking the law if you moved and didn't update your PTC within 30 days.

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

I know that on the Wright County Sheriffs site it states:

19. Do I need to notify the Sheriff’s Office when I move?
Yes. A permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor.

20. Does the address on my permit to carry need to match the address on my drivers license?
No. However, the permit holder may obtain an updated permit at a cost of $10.00.

So I will legally be carrying with a PTC with address "A" and Driver's License with address "B".

http://www.co.wright.mn.us/department/s ... rry.asp#20

This is where I'm mistaken, I have purchased numerous guns with this scenario, BUT, denied at Gander MT.
ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Basically since

Under MN law, handgun transfers involve any sale, gift, loan, assignment, or other delivery to another person. If you possess a valid permit to carry a pistol, that permit constitutes a permit to purchase. You do not need to apply for a separate permit to purchase. However, there is nothing that prohibits you from obtaining both permits if you desire.

And even though my PTC and DL numbers do not match (stated that they don't need to but if i spend $10 I can get a new card) my PTC is valid which constitutes a permit to purchase. Maybe someone with an FFL or knowledge of the law can tell me why Gander Mt denied me from purchasing my gun. I had just purchased another gun last Friday from a reputable LGS with no issues.
ArtVandelay

Postby Thunderjohn on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm

They have a lot of their own little quirks.
They won't transfer a firearm with a delay even after the 3 business days have passed, even though legal.
They won't allow you to use Postal abbreviations on the Form 4473 even though it states on the form that Postal abbreviations
are ok.
You're fine, but I'd still spend the $10 and get my permit updated to save other hassles by some that don't know the laws.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby ArtVandelay on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Thunderjohn wrote:They have a lot of their own little quirks.
They won't transfer a firearm with a delay even after the 3 business days have passed, even though legal.
They won't allow you to use Postal abbreviations on the Form 4473 even though it states on the form that Postal abbreviations
are ok.
You're fine, but I'd still spend the $10 and get my permit updated to save other hassles by some that don't know the laws.

Thanks for the explanation, I figured it was a "Gander Mountain" policy. Their employees really need to realize the difference between LAW and STORE POLICY. Not happy with the way i was treated either right or wrong. I will spend the $10 on a new permit. Thanks John
Last edited by ArtVandelay on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
ArtVandelay

Postby tman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Was the $10 you tried to save yourself worth the hassle you just went through?

Have any advice for the next guy who wants to save $10?

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby IDPA Shooter on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:27 pm

+ 1. You don't have to produce photo ID to use a credit card either, is it worth arguing about, not to me. The person in front if me at Best Buy felt it was a " serious violation of her rights". Yeah right, go buy it Amazon and move along please....

Sent by HTC ONE via TapTalk
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby Nalez on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm

As others have stated; if you have moved within the last 30 days; you are "valid" with your PTC. You also have 30 days to get the new address on your drivers license :-)

A side node that has been brought up before - the address on a PTP does NOT need to match the address on your drivers license according to state law - only the full legal name.
Nalez

Postby Spike on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 pm

tman wrote:Was the $10 you tried to save yourself worth the hassle you just went through?

Have any advice for the next guy who wants to save $10?

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.

Yea. Don't shop at Gander.
Spike

Postby infidel on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Ten dollars, hassle free. :hmm:
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby AR-15collector on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Nalez wrote:As others have stated; if you have moved within the last 30 days; you are "valid" with your PTC. You also have 30 days to get the new address on your drivers license :-)

A side node that has been brought up before - the address on a PTP does NOT need to match the address on your drivers license according to state law - only the full legal name.

Interesting, my street name was off by only one letter from my ptp to my license (license was wrong, had an e at the end instead of a d and FF, Cabelas and Gander would not let me buy. Ended up moving a month later and decided to go through my PTC classes rather than only renew my ptp.

Now that I live on a numbered street rather than a named street there's zero issues with matching.
AR-15collector

Postby EAJuggalo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 am

I think we have a little confusion on what is legally required to be done when one moves. The only requirement in the law is notification of the issuing sheriff, how one does that is not specified, nor is there a requirement to obtain a new card at a cost. I know Hennepin County used to tell people that came in to notify in person that they had to pay the $10 and get a new card.

Now as far as the OP, Gander was well within their rights to refuse you service if they thought there was something hinky about your paperwork. And you are well within your rights to choose like a lot of us have, to not do business with Gander.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby cobb on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 am

If the address on the permit to carry does not match the address on the identification such as the Minnesota drivers license, Cabelas and Scheels will not sell. My understanding is that they want to avoid any hassles when audited by the ATF. Is this 100% with all dealers, don't think so, but have also been told by a few smaller dealers that they want the info to match. It was a topic of discussion with the sales person at Cabelas when I purchased an AR-15 awhile back, Cabelas would not proceed with sale if the info on my documentation did not match. Also had this discussion with a sales person in the gun department at Scheels, info does not match and they will not go through with the sale.

So notifying the issuing sheriff within 30 days of the change of address and you are good to carry, but in many cases not good to buy.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby unit44justin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:04 am

Burnsville pistol will not transfer either if information does not match. I think it is more they are looking to cover their own ass.
unit44justin

Next

Return to General Gun Chat