MN PTC does this just cover pistols?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: MN PTC does this just cover pistols?

Postby cobb on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:09 pm

codilly wrote:I understand you can carry a shotgun and so on while hunting. I have been told numerous times that IF I wanted to I could not say carry my loaded AR15 on my back walking down the street in MN. I would not do this for one of the same reasons I don't open carry a pistol.

Since all the above posts and information are an interpretation of the MN PTC law and you still seem a bit apprehensive, may I suggest you contact an attorney to clarify things for you. All the above opinions will not carry any weight with a judge that you may stand in front of.

Be Safe. 8-)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby 20mm on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 pm

cobb wrote:Since all the above posts and information are an interpretation of the MN PTC law and you still seem a bit apprehensive, may I suggest you contact an attorney to clarify things for you. All the above opinions will not carry any weight with a judge that you may stand in front of.

Be Safe. 8-)

Of course an attorney can also give you incorrect legal advice. The attorneys advice may also not carry any weight with a judge. It will also cost you lots of money unless you find one of those pro-bono ones that are so plentiful these days.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby codilly on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 pm

I never intend to carry my rifle in public at all but all the legal terms and how it is written is very confusing to me. I feel like this question can be answered easier but people are choosing not to.
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby cobb on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:45 pm

codilly wrote: I feel like this question can be answered easier but people are choosing not to.

Seriously?

If you would go back and read, you will find this.
ttousi wrote:
I don't think this is correct. I mean, you can indeed carry more than one pistol, but a State of Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol doesn't have anything to do with long guns.

you are correct...........624.714 does not state it however:

624.7181 addresses it

624.7181, Minnesota Statutes 2007
Copyright © 2007 by the Office of Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota.
624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1. Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the
meanings given them.

(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in
diameter.
(b) "Carry" does not include:
(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are
repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful
activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;
(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun
case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped,
snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;
(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section
624.714;

snip

color by me

And it has been tested

So what answer are you looking for, what do you not understand or what easy answer are others refusing to give you?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby loose on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 pm

cobb wrote:
codilly wrote:I understand you can carry a shotgun and so on while hunting. I have been told numerous times that IF I wanted to I could not say carry my loaded AR15 on my back walking down the street in MN. I would not do this for one of the same reasons I don't open carry a pistol.

Since all the above posts and information are an interpretation of the MN PTC law and you still seem a bit apprehensive, may I suggest you contact an attorney to clarify things for you. All the above opinions will not carry any weight with a judge that you may stand in front of.

Be Safe. 8-)

how much justice can you afford??
Pretty sure I took your carry class 4 years ago and thats what you said about the open carry of a long gun.
loose

Postby cobb on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:01 pm

loose wrote:how much justice can you afford??
Pretty sure I took your carry class 4 years ago and thats what you said about the open carry of a long gun.

Also like and use, "Test cases are for other people, let me know how it turns out for you". ;)

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING

cobb

Postby bstrawse on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:07 pm

You can carry a long gun, under your permit to carry, in public, loaded and ready to fire if you wish.

I don't recommend it. I don't think it's prudent or wise. Then again, not everything that is legal is necessarily prudent or wise.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby thunderoussilence on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:30 pm

opinions vary.
thunderoussilence

Postby thunderoussilence on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:35 pm

rugrunner wrote:I have had my PTC since 2010 and carry daily. I have had people tel me that If I have a PTC I can carry all sorts of things.

LArge folding knives, fixed blade knives, samurai swords, rocket launchers...etc

Never gave it much thought as my Ex got the rocket launcher in the divorce. Anyway, I just picked up a sub 2000 and thought about keeping it in my truck. I looked up the law as best I could and it say I can have a rifle in my vehicle in a container made to carry a gun (or words to that effect)

My question is since I carry a Glock that uses the same magazines would I have a problem with the sub 2000 behind the seat and mags for my glock 27 with me in the front seat/console?

Thanks.

Ignorance is bliss.......your comment shows your minimal thought process
thunderoussilence

Postby Back In Black on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 pm

cobb wrote:
codilly wrote: I feel like this question can be answered easier but people are choosing not to.

Seriously?

If you would go back and read, you will find this.
ttousi wrote:
I don't think this is correct. I mean, you can indeed carry more than one pistol, but a State of Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol doesn't have anything to do with long guns.

you are correct...........624.714 does not state it however:

624.7181 addresses it

624.7181, Minnesota Statutes 2007
Copyright © 2007 by the Office of Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota.
624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1. Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the
meanings given them.

(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in
diameter.
(b) "Carry" does not include:
(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are
repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful
activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;
(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun
case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped,
snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;
(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section
624.714;

snip

color by me

And it has been tested

So what answer are you looking for, what do you not understand or what easy answer are others refusing to give you?

You can lead a horse to water....
Keith
Back In Black

Postby mrp on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 pm

codilly wrote:I never intend to carry my rifle in public at all but all the legal terms and how it is written is very confusing to me. I feel like this question can be answered easier but people are choosing not to.

Perhaps you're just looking at it from the wrong starting point.

Start here: Anything that is not illegal, is legal.

There does not have to be a statute saying you can carry a long gun in public for it to be legal just as there does not have to be a statute saying you can wear yellow socks on Thursdays for that to be legal. As long as there is not a statute saying it's illegal, then it's legal.

The statute which says you generally can not carry a long gun in public (624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.) does not apply to folks who have a permit to carry. If there is no other statute which makes it illegal to carry a long gun in public, then it's legal.
mrp

Postby jdege on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 am

mrp wrote:The statute which says you generally can not carry a long gun in public (624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.) does not apply to folks who have a permit to carry. If there is no other statute which makes it illegal to carry a long gun in public, then it's legal.

And, since Minnesota has a preemption statute, limiting the authority of local governments to regulate the carry of firearms, "If there is no other statute" should be interpreted as "if there is no other state or federal statute".

But there is a big "but" to all of this ... just because something is legal does not mean that it will be free of consequences. You can still be stopped, arrested, or charged and brought to trial. The anti-gun forces in officialdom are quite adept at making the free exercise of our rights as painful as possible, where they can do so without repercussion.

If you strap on your AR-15 and start walking around the plaza at the Hennepin County Government Center, you may end up paying $thousands in lawyers fees before you establish that you weren't breaking any law.

What is legal is not, in some circumstances, wise.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 am

jdege wrote:
mrp wrote:The statute which says you generally can not carry a long gun in public (624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.) does not apply to folks who have a permit to carry. If there is no other statute which makes it illegal to carry a long gun in public, then it's legal.

And, since Minnesota has a preemption statute, limiting the authority of local governments to regulate the carry of firearms, "If there is no other statute" should be interpreted as "if there is no other state or federal statute".

But there is a big "but" to all of this ... just because something is legal does not mean that it will be free of consequences. You can still be stopped, arrested, or charged and brought to trial. The anti-gun forces in officialdom are quite adept at making the free exercise of our rights as painful as possible, where they can do so without repercussion.

If you strap on your AR-15 and start walking around the plaza at the Hennepin County Government Center, you may end up paying $thousands in lawyers fees before you establish that you weren't breaking any law.

Add to this - a large photo of you and your AR on the Nicollet Mall will make you, quite literally, the poster boy for more gun control at the legislature.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 am

xd ED wrote:
jdege wrote:

Add to this - a large photo of you and your AR on the Nicollet Mall will make you, quite literally, the poster boy for more gun control at the legislature.

And with DFL control in both houses, a DFL governor, and two chairs (Paymar - House, Latz - Senate) that would like nothing else than to push a gun control agenda (and tried, hard, in 2013 to do so), this would be a spectacularly unwise move.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby xd9 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 am

The last few posts are very wise comments and we all should think about that going forward. Please tread lightly.
xd9

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat