Growing an ar15

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Growing an ar15

Postby Dutch on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:13 pm

FJ540 wrote:Brownells and Midway need to have girly gift stuff. Then when they catch your package you can whip out "her" item and if she catches the other stuff just say you added those to save on shipping. :lol:

My wife doesn't open boxes, but for those for who this is an issue: Larry Potterfield from Midway has a checkbox for NO paper invoice to be included with your shipment (that Nightforce scope was only $79.99 :twisted: ).
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:22 pm

The idea isn't about covering up an invoice - it's about covering up the purchase all together. ;)

"What's in the box dear?"

"Here you go honey, it's a sweater I got for you." 8-)
FJ540

Postby unknown on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm

I got a couple new parts in the mail. I think the next large purchase would be the hand guard. I havent researched much about hand guards yet, do you have any advise/recommendations?

Thank you!

Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby unknown on Sun May 04, 2014 7:52 am

Whooo! I just need a handguard and gasblock to be all done. I guess ill need something to aim with... [attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399211548532.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1399211548532.jpg
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby FJ540 on Sun May 04, 2014 1:13 pm

It really depends what you want to use it for. I personally don't like quad rails, because they're uncomfortable and heavier than a less encumbering free floated tube. You generally need to add rail covers to make them non-painful, which adds even more weight that otherwise doesn't need to be there.

Full length top rails are all the rage now, but those aren't even needed since we can't use night vision here anyway (what else besides a back up sight on the very front are you going to put up there?), and you don't want to bridge the gap with your optic mount either.
FJ540

Postby Hmac on Sun May 04, 2014 2:21 pm

unknown wrote:I got a couple new parts in the mail. I think the next large purchase would be the hand guard. I havent researched much about hand guards yet, do you have any advise/recommendations?

Thank you!

I was all quad rails. They're ok, but kind of bulky and kind of heavy. I recently pulled my DD Lite rail off an SBR and replaced it with a tubular rail (Noveske NSR). The smaller diameter and lighter weight are extremely noticeable and extremely useful. IMHO, best way to go. BCM KMR, Geissele, Noveske appear to be leading the race. Nothing magic about keymod IMHO, but there are a lot of attachments hitting the market. Gear Sector is another tubular rail to be watching for. Tubular rails in particular require a low-profile gas block. Make sure your barrel is at least dimpled for it, and preferably (IMHO) get the gas block pinned. One good solution to pinning your gas block is the one you can do yourself from 87 Industries.

Hmac

Postby UnaStamus on Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 am

Keymod is the future of rails for the military, and this is already being implemented with contracts from KAC/KMC. This translates into commercial and LE proliferation. Rails are still going to be relevant, but other proprietary slot-mounting systems are not going to reach the level of popularity that Keymod will. There are numerous accessories out for Keymod, and there are even more coming out every month.

I have been running a BCM KMR13 rail for a little while and it's an outstanding handguard. The thing is ridiculously light since it's made of a magnesium alloy. My 16" with KMR13 13" rail and lightweight profile DD barrel is lighter than my 11.5" SBR with a 10" railed Daniel Defense AR15 LITE 10.0 Rail.
As HMAC pointed out, several companies like Noveske, KAC, BCM, Fortis, Geissele, Midwest Industries, and others have Keymod options. More are on the way.

My 11.5" is getting a BCM KMR10 in the near future. I'm loving the smaller radius and lighter weight.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby unknown on Thu May 08, 2014 9:08 pm

I had the opportunity to handle the BCM rail, unbelievably light.

For now, I think the next purchase will be a Fortis Low Profile Gas Block http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-low-profile-gas-block

Hmac, beautiful rig man, thanx for sharing the photos.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby Ghost on Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 pm

The Midwest industries keymod is a good rail for a good price and Midway has a discount on them now. Also if you haven't done it the 4mm set screw mod is easy for the detent on the takedown pin, 4mm setscrews can be located at Ace in Lakeville. I don't want to link to another forum but a little googlefu and you can find it.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Sat May 10, 2014 1:44 am

Ghost wrote: Also if you haven't done it the 4mm set screw mod is easy for the detent on the takedown pin, 4mm setscrews can be located at Ace in Lakeville. I don't want to link to another forum but a little googlefu and you can find it.

Why would anybody do that? Is the front takedown pin a problem?
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Sat May 10, 2014 5:28 am

Hmac wrote:
Ghost wrote: Also if you haven't done it the 4mm set screw mod is easy for the detent on the takedown pin, 4mm setscrews can be located at Ace in Lakeville. I don't want to link to another forum but a little googlefu and you can find it.

Why would anybody do that? Is the front takedown pin a problem?

For me I am constantly changing things around on my AR's this mod costs maybe .15 if you don't count the tap. Also it's good for those with pistols as you won't need the rear plate. But it takes a couple minutes is cheap and it's a really clean install once complete.
Ghost

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 am

Ghost wrote:The Midwest industries keymod is a good rail for a good price and Midway has a discount on them now. Also if you haven't done it the 4mm set screw mod is easy for the detent on the takedown pin, 4mm setscrews can be located at Ace in Lakeville. I don't want to link to another forum but a little googlefu and you can find it.

I got all of my MI handguards from http://www.vtsupply.com - best pricing I could find.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby Hmac on Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 am

Ghost wrote:For me I am constantly changing things around on my AR's this mod costs maybe .15 if you don't count the tap. Also it's good for those with pistols as you won't need the rear plate. But it takes a couple minutes is cheap and it's a really clean install once complete.

Oh, that. Sorry, you said takedown pin , my brain read pivot pin. Yeah, this is a relatively simple mod, might be of some value in some situations.
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Sat May 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Ghost wrote:F Also if you haven't done it the 4mm set screw mod is easy for the detent on the takedown pin, 4mm setscrews can be located at Ace in Lakeville. I don't want to link to another forum but a little googlefu and you can find it.

If you're tapping with a 4-40 tap, don't you need 4-40 set screws rather than 4mm set screws? 4mm set screws are pretty big, quite a bit bigger than #4 set screws.
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Sat May 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Ghost wrote:F Also if you haven't done it the 4mm set screw mod is easy for the detent on the takedown pin, 4mm setscrews can be located at Ace in Lakeville. I don't want to link to another forum but a little googlefu and you can find it.

If you're tapping with a 4-40 tap, don't you need 4-40 set screws rather than 4mm set screws? 4mm set screws are pretty big, quite a bit bigger than #4 set screws.
Hmac

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat