Putting a new trigger in an AK?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Shipyard on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am

picked up a beater AK fe months back. even for an Ak, the trigger sucks pretty hard. not that huge of a deal, but i got a good deal on a tapco double hook G2...

how hard is it to swap one of these suckers? i've done a thousand AR triggers, never messed with an AK other than beating the living piss out of them for fun.

pitfall avoidance, tips and tricks, pictures of scantily clad eastern european women and general mocking welcome
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Re: Putting a new trigger in an AK?

Postby CarRacer on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am

When I converted a Saiga, the only hard part was the bolt hold open lever and I doubt your AK has one of those. Watch out for the hammer springs, they can bite if you're not careful. Other than that it's super simple and shouldn't give you any trouble.

Remember, it's a two drink minimum to work on an AK. Preferably vodka comrade.
CarRacer

Postby Consummate on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:31 am

Shipyard wrote:picked up a beater AK fe months back. even for an Ak, the trigger sucks pretty hard. not that huge of a deal, but i got a good deal on a tapco double hook G2...

how hard is it to swap one of these suckers? i've done a thousand AR triggers, never messed with an AK other than beating the living piss out of them for fun.

pitfall avoidance, tips and tricks, pictures of scantily clad eastern european women and general mocking welcome

Difficulty varies on what sort of axis pin retention is used.

Plate type being the easiest! So if it doesn't have a plate, I'd get one before doing the swap.

Also make sure your receiver accepts the double hook type.

07 FFL SOT
Also providing Cerakote Firearm finishes
Born to fight, trained to kill, ready to die, but never will.
http://www.SchreyerWeaponSystems.com

LIKE us! http://www.Facebook.com/SchreyerWeaponSystems
Consummate

Postby Deputyhiro on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 am

Deffinately get the plate. About $4 from akbuilder.com, including shipping. There are a few good videos on youtube on trigger installation. After you do one, its like riding a bike.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby Shipyard on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am

thanks for the heads up, i'll have to look into the axis plate thing and figure out what i got going on.

and don't worry - i have a healthy respect for trigger springs ever since i broke a finger f-in aroudn with an SKS trigger group. damn i'll remember that for quite some time :x

CarRacer wrote:Remember, it's a two drink minimum to work on an AK. Preferably vodka comrade.

got it covered, i have the perfect bottle of mothers milk for this one:

images.jpg

and as for the two hook vs single in the reciver, i got a solution for that delemia too. if i can chop a mosin barrel with a sawzall, i think i can handle a slot in a reciever

bolt2.jpg

i (heart) commie gunzzzzzzz :lol: :lol: : lol:
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby AgAuTHORITY on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:43 am

Or you could just lop off a hook

Ag
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
AgAuTHORITY

Postby Shipyard on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am

AgAuTHORITY wrote:Or you could just lop off a hook

Ag

logical and sound solution. question is, which way let's me grind more metal? :P

Shipyard

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 am

As the other guys said, it's pretty easy. Don't let the shepherd's crook retainer worry you. I found on a couple guns I did it pops right back into place with a tap from a mallet. Trying to get it back in with pliers or fingers was a no-go.

I'd say try the tried-and-true Commie way before spending your capitalist dollars on an after market solution.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Doc Harvey on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:57 pm

I swapped out the trigger that was in my IO with a TAPCO. Pretty straight-forward. I still have the older trigger if you find yourself needing a spare.
Doc Harvey

Postby wrench on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:42 am

If I can do it, you can do it 8-)
As BB said, the shepherd's hook retainer is not really a problem, you just have to hold your tongue juuuuuust right.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Shipyard on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:56 am

Doc Harvey wrote:I swapped out the trigger that was in my IO with a TAPCO. Pretty straight-forward. I still have the older trigger if you find yourself needing a spare.

thanks for the offer Doc, if i run into trouble i'll take you up on it :)

Shipyard

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 am

i've monkeyed with these triggers a few times as well.... if you need help, let me know. i'd be glad to film the endeavors of Shippy V Mother Russia! i promise i won't do anything constructive, just spew insults and offer bad advice (such as go ahead and grind that little knob there, all it does is resets your sear)
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Shipyard on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 am

rukwikenuf wrote: just spew insults and offer bad advice

... you're capable of anything else? :lol:

Shipyard

Postby Hanns on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 pm

I'll second (third?) the side plate. Less messing around, solid retention of the pins, can't pop loose like the hook can. Ask me how I know that one? Tapco G2 trigger is amazing for the money, makes an AK almost pleasant to shoot, no more trigger slap.
Hanns

Postby FJ540 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Shipyard wrote:
rukwikenuf wrote: just spew insults and offer bad advice

... you're capable of anything else? :lol:

He can make ammo and alcohol vanish. 8-)
FJ540

Next

Return to General Gun Chat