permit to carry address change

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

permit to carry address change

Postby mc762x54R on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:40 pm

I went from Hennepin to Washington county.
I can either go to Mpls to update address, which is a pain, or mail it in. But it says to send your current permit in the mail when you do. What happens during that time that I dont physically have my permit card? Can I still carry?
mc762x54R

Re: permit to carry address change

Postby george on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 pm

sudd 1b

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/data/revisor/statutes/2005/624/714.html

But jest think what can happen in the mean time, arrest, jail, confiscation, A Good Beating!!
Jest do the drive, that's my recommendation.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Heffay on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 pm

I really need to get this done. It's been well over a year... :oops:
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Motoman on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Just send Hennepin a letter saying you moved, and what your new address is. You don't have to surrender your old permit.
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby solidgun on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

I sent in a copy of my old permit with my new license and told them my address changed. $10 by check and it was done. But mine was with Clay county sheriff.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby mc762x54R on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Motoman wrote:Just send Hennepin a letter saying you moved, and what your new address is. You don't have to surrender your old permit.

Their website says this:
The application for information change may also be completed by mail. Applicant must complete, sign and mail in page 1 of the application along with their current permit and a copy of their current, valid identification reflecting the new information. Mail these items along with a check made payable to HCSO in the amount of $10.00 to:

They added the bold font too....
mc762x54R

Postby Motoman on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:48 pm

mc762x54R wrote:
Motoman wrote:Just send Hennepin a letter saying you moved, and what your new address is. You don't have to surrender your old permit.

Their website says this:
The application for information change may also be completed by mail. Applicant must complete, sign and mail in page 1 of the application along with their current permit and a copy of their current, valid identification reflecting the new information. Mail these items along with a check made payable to HCSO in the amount of $10.00 to:

They added the bold font too....

The law just says you have to notify them. There is no obligation to get a new permit. If you want a new permit, then they can charge you $10.00.

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.

(a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying $10 to the sheriff. The request for a replacement permit card must be made on an official, standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card has been lost or destroyed.
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby Marble on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Others have mentioned that you are not legally required to get the address on your permit updated, but you may want to as it will make purchasing guns at FFL dealers easier. Some FFL dealers will not complete a transfer if the address on your PTC and your driver's license do not match. There was a recent thread on these forums about this topic.

When I mailed my permit in to Hennepin County for an address update it took about 30 days. Before mailing it in, I made a copy of my permit, laminated it, and carried it in my wallet while I waited for a new permit.
Marble

Postby mc762x54R on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm

I called Hennepin county today and they said I didnt have to mail my old permit in any more, just a photocopy...so I just did it by mail.
mc762x54R

Return to General Gun Chat