Troubles with ATF

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Troubles with ATF

Postby driztan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Hello,

I am looking for some feedback from people who have their FFL's currently. I sent in my FFL application for my business on May 20th. The application had my CC info for the license fee. It was posted against my account May 25th. However, when I call the ATF and ask them the status since they are outside the legal 60 days defined in the SFA, they get extremely defensive. I even had to ask the lady I spoke too one time to calm down and relax and that my words by no means are meant to be confrontational. I really just want a clear answer.

From the times I have called all the dates they have quoted me change depending on who I talked too. The first person said the application was forwarded to my local field office on June 5th. 2nd time I called they claimed they didn't receive it till late June, the last time I called they are saying they didn't receive it until late July. Whenever I ask them what problem is an why my money was taken form me on May 25th, they get extremely confrontational.

I have as clean of a record as you possibly can. I have held security clearances in the past. I currently work in a career that requires multiple background checks by Homeland Security. On paper I am a model American.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with the ATF? It really is sad the level of bureaucracy I am encountering on this process. I have the ability to seek legal representation, but I almost feel guilty wasting tax payer money fighting to get my FFL.
driztan

Re: Troubles with ATF

Postby grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Heffay would be my choice as well. Great source of knowledge on all things. An enchanted man.

I have to ask, if you have a full time job that requires a security clearance, and I assume you have to work every day....how are you going to be "in the business" with regular business hours? I'm blessed to have a job that leaves me at home to multi task most days and pull it off....but if I had to go to an office every day I couldn't effectively be in the business.

As a matter of fact, I am probably going to relinquish my FFL at some point (after I buy every gun I want and my friends do as well) due to my family growing (kids) and me not wanting to have customer traffic in my home much longer....that, and I miss my 4th amendment rights. I'll call the ATF and see if you can just buy my FFL off of me.... ;)

It takes time man, have patience. Mine took over 4 months, and I never called them to inquire. I imagine they have lot's of people trying to get FFL's after seeing how profitable it could be this year....and they are probably swamped. They say I can get inspected 3 times over 3 years...it's been 2 and 1/2 years and I havenm't been inspected once....I know guys that have had their FFL's for a LONG time and have NEVER been inspected. I imagine they don't have the manpower.
Last edited by grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:38 pm

The ATF is backed up in all areas this year. Transfers that used to take 4-5 weeks are taking 4-5 months or more.

I would suggest you contact the local field office and ask if there is anything you can do to speed up the process. There probably isn't, but at least you can confirm that you're in line for a review and/or interview.

Also, it isn't unusual for them to immediately take your money and then make you wait. You'll have to get used to that one.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Squib Joe wrote:The ATF is backed up in all areas this year. Transfers that used to take 4-5 weeks are taking 4-5 months or more.

I would suggest you contact the local field office and ask if there is anything you can do to speed up the process. There probably isn't, but at least you can confirm that you're in line for a review and/or interview.

Also, it isn't unusual for them to immediately take your money and then make you wait. You'll have to get used to that one.

They cashed my check long before I got interviewed or received an FFL....I don't think taking your money means you are going to get the FFL....so be nice and patient, don't give them a reason to get pissed and push you to the end of the line....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby george on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Are you filing as a home based FFL, if so did you include some kind of approval on the zoning?
They have become very adamant on that. I'm in a commercial zone on main street and in a school zone,
so I had the Mayor approve me, took time but made it. It took about 4 months but I attributed that to
the school zone.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:50 pm

george wrote:Are you filing as a home based FFL, if so did you include some kind of approval on the zoning?
They have become very adamant on that. I'm in a commercial zone on main street and in a school zone,
so I had the Mayor approve me, took time but made it. It took about 4 months but I attributed that to
the school zone.

That's correct, gotta notify the sheriff and/or local police...then it's on them to let you know if it's a no-go....but checking zoning is a good start.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby driztan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice thank you some good feedback.

You are correct, them cashing your check does not guarantee anything. However, if you are denied you will be refunded your application fee money back. In fact by the time you get the call to setup the appointment, you already have been approved. If you were denied you would be informed via phone call with the reason for denial.

Sorry if I implied I am upset in anyway, I am only concerned. Yes my treatment has been horrible by the ATF, and it is concerning, but my goal was to create an open forum that has many opinions to help people who encounter the same treatment at a future date. I personally have called multiple times over the last 2 months and have received different information every person I talk too. I did speak today with a wonderful woman at the St. Paul field office today, so normal human beings do still exist in within the ranks of the Feds!
driztan

Postby driztan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Thank you again!

Yes my zoning was all triple checked. You as the applicant are not technically responsible for getting the zoning signed off on. But there is no law holding the zoning office to sign off on it by a certain date. So we did contact the zoning office and verify we would not have an issue.

Also I am applying for manufacturer and this is not a residentially zoned area.
driztan

Postby grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:04 pm

driztan wrote:Nice thank you some good feedback.

You are correct, them cashing your check does not guarantee anything. However, if you are denied you will be refunded your application fee money back. In fact by the time you get the call to setup the appointment, you already have been approved. If you were denied you would be informed via phone call with the reason for denial.

Sorry if I implied I am upset in anyway, I am only concerned. Yes my treatment has been horrible by the ATF, and it is concerning, but my goal was to create an open forum that has many opinions to help people who encounter the same treatment at a future date. I personally have called multiple times over the last 2 months and have received different information every person I talk too. I did speak today with a wonderful woman at the St. Paul field office today, so normal human beings do still exist in within the ranks of the Feds!

Yes they do, My field agent is a very nice lady who was more of a mentor/teacher than anything. Whenever I have a question and my guide doesn't give me a clear answer, I call her and ask for her to clear things up....nice resource to have and a good way to keep things on the up and up.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby driztan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 pm

grousemaster wrote:
driztan wrote:Nice thank you some good feedback.

Yes they do, My field agent is a very nice lady who was more of a mentor/teacher than anything. Whenever I have a question and my guide doesn't give me a clear answer, I call her and ask for her to clear things up....nice resource to have and a good way to keep things on the up and up.

I have also heard nothing but great things about the Minnesota field agents. Not only were they extremely professional but offered a fantastic education on many of the more complex laws. A company I am working with who has started manufacturing via FFL had nothing but praise for their local Agent.

Agreed, and very happy to hear you also have those opinions of our local agents.
driztan

Postby driztan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Again guys thank you all for your very productive replies!
driztan

Postby 20mm on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 pm

When the ATF isn't busy trying to make sure you're a good FFL holder you might find them at Ahlmans passing out literature this month.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby ttousi on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:44 pm

off topic removed.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby MNGunner on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:40 am

driztan wrote:I personally have called multiple times over the last 2 months...

And you are confused about why they might appear annoyed with you? Really?

What's there to call about? They will get to you when it's your turn. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to get an FFL to "cash in on the panic". As someone mentioned before, there's a risk that the Dicks will get pushed down to the bottom of the application pile.
MNGunner

Postby Dakotared on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:51 am

I just got my ffl-06. I sent my app in. NEVER called at all, I figured they would call me, and they did (about 6 weeks). Agent showed up and was very nice. Getting license mailed to me now. I sent my app in about the same time as the OP so maybe it pays not to be a pain in the ass to the ATF.
Dakotared

Next

Return to General Gun Chat