CCW Question?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

CCW Question?

Postby spirit_b13 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi there yall, I was just wondering if you can still carry if you have changed your driver license address, but your CCW permit address hasn't been updated.
Reason is because I own a Duplex and I have moved next door in my duplex a while back. The house number is just one digit off but the address is still the same, because I have been carrying for a couple months now and just realize I have
to change my address on my CCW, I have just sent the paperwork and 10$ to the sheriff county to get the CCW change.
I called and asked the sheriff county that if it was okay to carry with an CCW that has a different address then my Driver license, and he said I would get into a lot of trouble carrying with a permit that has my old address and that if it doesn't match my ID address, but he never said what the consequence were?

But while researching the law it said;
29. Does the address on my permit to carry need to match the address on my driver’s license?
No, However, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may obtain an updated permit at a cost of $10.

It states of a petty misdemeanor, But it doesn't state if you can carry or not? I remember taking my CCW class and the instructor said the misdemeanor was the 10$ fee.
Just some advice and what your take on it would be nice, or if you have been in a similar situation.
I just want to be on the safe side of obeying the law when carrying.

"Born in the USA" 1st generation
spirit_b13

Re: CCW Question?

Postby hunterfreakhd on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

What state do you live in?
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby spirit_b13 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 pm

MN
spirit_b13

CCW Question?

Postby jshuberg on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Then you don't have a CCW permit. No such thing exists in MN. Perhaps you have a carry permit?
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby spirit_b13 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

yea its a carry permit. sorry for the typo
spirit_b13

CCW Question?

Postby jshuberg on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Update your address and get a new permit. Not doing so has the potential to cause you headaches. Having it updated is a minimal inconvenience.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby jgalt on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 pm

So long as you update the Sheriff & your permit hasn't yet expired, then you have a valid permit & can continue to carry. Doing this does not cost you anything, and you do not need to get a new permit for an address change...

Short answer - you are good to go right now, and you already have a replacement card w/your updated address on its way, so you have done both what is required by law & what is recommended to make your life easier.
jgalt

MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Carry info

Postby Makarov on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 am

Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11).

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-di ... y-faq.aspx
Makarov

Postby ttousi on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:46 am

Try reading the statute, it saves a lot of discussion and incorrect info from law enforcement and the uninformed...ie:

he said I would get into a lot of trouble carrying with a permit that has my old address and that if it doesn't match my ID address, but he never said what the consequence were?

and
I remember taking my CCW class and the instructor said the misdemeanor was the 10$ fee.

and

But while researching the law it said;
29. Does the address on my permit to carry need to match the address on my driver’s license?
No, However, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may obtain an updated permit at a cost of $10.

no .....you were researching the FAQs which have been shown to be incorrect at times

624.714 sub 7a spells it out and trumps the above

Subd. 7a. Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.

(a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit
card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction.
Failure to provide
notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed
$25.
Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying
$10 to the sheriff.
The request for a replacement permit card must be made on an official, standardized
application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an address change,
must include a notarized statement that the permit card has been lost or destroyed.

as Seismic Sam would say ..........RTFM!!!!!

copy here..... viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6814
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby jshuberg on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:06 am

As evidenced by the response you got when you contacted your Sheriff's office, not everyone is going to be familiar with the statute. It may not be required by statute, but it is a *very* good idea to have a new permit issued with your current info. The inconvenience of getting a new permit is much less than the inconvenience of Barney Fife thinking your a criminal when your docco doesn't match up.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am

ttousi wrote:Try reading the statute, it saves a lot of discussion and incorrect info from law enforcement and the uninformed...ie:
as Seismic Sam would say ..........RTFM!!!!!

copy here..... viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6814

Yep. I took my last permit class from ttousi and I certainly would double-check anything I remember him saying. ;) Between the possibility of ttousi's human fallibility (He could, in theory, be wrong about something. Someday. Maybe.), and the reliability of my own memory, well, best to look it up.

Your instructor said you could be in "a lot of trouble"... a petty misdemeanor is not what I'd call "a lot of trouble", but cops aren't walking law books and he might be remembering (correctly or incorrectly) that his instructor said it was a felony or something. Or he might just be looking for an excuse to ruin somebody's day because his girlfriend dumped him that morning and he's got a hemorrhoid . So in that sense, your instructor was right: you should take care of it -- as you have.

Carry on!
Last edited by Pat Cannon on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Cannon

Postby jgalt on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am

Based on the response the OP got from the Sheriff, I wouldn't be surprised if a person could get into "a lot of trouble" if they don't update the address on their permit, and run across an officer who is ignorant of the law. The advice to replace your permit after moving is sound for that reason...

To paraphrase a common saying, "you will beat the rap (since updating your address is all that is required by law), but you may not be the ride (since not all LEOs know the law)..." :lol:
jgalt

Postby tizzo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:12 pm

I don't know of a shop that will sell to a customer using a permit and DL with different addresses.
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby Marble on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 pm

The two reasons I update the address on my permit anytime I move are
1) To avoid hassles buying guns. As tizzo said, many shops won't proceed with a sale unless both match.
2) To avoid hassles from law enforcement, especially out of state. Within MN, I would expect any LEO to know the law (although they might not), but I wouldn't want my vacation ruined if I was stopped by an LEO in another state and they were suspicious of the mismatch. They have no way of knowing that you are in 100% compliance with MN law and that your permit is perfectly valid.
Marble

CCW Question?

Postby jshuberg on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Cops can't possibly be expected to know or understand all of the laws they are tasked to enforce. I'm sure the vast majority have a solid grasp on the main points, but there's not a single human being fully knowledgeable in every aspect of MN law.

Documentation is your friend. I have a what I refer to as a "Barney Fife Pack". It has all of my paperwork - copies of NFA documents, BATFE determination letters, copies of my trust documents, copies of state and federal statutes regarding machine guns, my Capitol notification letter, etc. etc. I have a copy in my gun safe, in my range bag, in my gun case, in my car, in my desk at work. You get the idea.

Don't let your paperwork become outdated. The sooner that you can demonstrate that you are not a criminal, but have your ducks in a row and are on the right side of the law, the sooner that an uncomfortable encounter with law enforcement can be resolved.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Next

Return to General Gun Chat