Looking at O/U shotguns

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Looking at O/U shotguns

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Thinking about picking up a 12ga O/U shotgun and am looking for input. Budget is going to be around $600 and was wondering what experience people have had and anything to avoid.
aspeedyturtle

Re: Looking at O/U shotguns

Postby farmerj on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:07 pm

I bought one of these and had the forcing cones lengthened on them. Had to sell it as a result of my divorce. Wish I still had the thing. Someday soon again. More likely to buy a Silver Pigeon though.

http://www.khanshotguns.com/?part=products&wip=Arthemis
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby bensdad on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:25 pm

I got a Verona over ten years ago and have been pleased with it. When I bought the thing, they were more expensive than they are now... not sure how that happens :( I guess maybe the brand just never caught on. Anyway, solid gun.

If you wanna spend a couple more dollars, I have a nice silver pidgeon 20ga/28ga combo over at Hoffy's that needs a new home ;)
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm

$600 for an O/U is a tough price. The problem you will run into is that in that price range you will either end up with someone problem or someting that is very heavy. $800-$900 would get you something you might want to hang on to, would acrry in the field and works.
mmcnx2

Postby shackleford on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:48 pm

I was in your same shoes a few years back, I ended up buying a Lanber from CDNN. Think I paid around $500 or so, and I have been extremely happy with it. It's no Citori, but for the money was a good buy. It's a brand that not many people have heard of though, so resale would probably be an issue. Personally I really like mine.
shackleford

Postby Belgiboy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

A $600 budget is low for an O/U. There are some offerings in that price range but they are heavy, clumsy, hard to break open and with poor fit and finish. Save your cash, find a way to double it and buy a nice 2nd hand Citori or something similar. Ammocraft in Hopkins has a new drop dead gorgeous Smith & wesson Elite silver for $1100 on the racks. That's a steal. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but take this into account: a $1200 Citori or Beretta can be sold for $1200 a couple of years later. A $600 Russian Remington will depreciate by about $600 when you carry it out of the store.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for the input so far. Also I think I'd prefer extractors over ejectors so I don't have to be picking spent casings off the ground. If needed I could stretch the budget some
aspeedyturtle

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Also am I correct in that ejectors throw the spent shells all the way out and extractors only pop the spent shells out partially and then removed by hand?
aspeedyturtle

Postby grousemaster on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:$600 for an O/U is a tough price. The problem you will run into is that in that price range you will either end up with someone problem or someting that is very heavy. $800-$900 would get you something you might want to hang on to, would acrry in the field and works.

Yup....avoid the Mossbergs also FYI, I've had nothing but issues. You're best bet is waiting until you can afford $1000 and look for a used browning, or even a Ruger if you can find one. Buy once cry nce my man, don't make the same mistake so many of us have with double barrels. FWIW, I use a Browning white lightning and it's the ****. Picked it up used at gunstop for like $1099 or something, wholesale on those bad boys is over $1600. Good deals to be found on gunbroker if you keep checking in.

Limiting yourself to $600 on an O/U is like limiting yourself to $250 on a target pistol, you'll be looking at High Points and Taurus....not to knock those brands as they have many happy owners.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 pm

For what? Hunting, trap?

Extractors for trap, ejectors for hunting usually but that's personal preference.

As mentioned $600 is tough but not impossible.
Thunder71

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Thunder71 wrote:For what? Hunting, trap?

Extractors for trap, ejectors for hunting usually.

primarily going to be used for trap
aspeedyturtle

Postby grousemaster on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm

aspeedyturtle wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:For what? Hunting, trap?

Extractors for trap, ejectors for hunting usually.

primarily going to be used for trap

I'd look at the CZ guns, if I was gonna get a budget o/u that's where I would look, new for $700 and a little up, some maybe cheaper. Can also get a brand new franchi around $1k
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby justinvan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:05 pm

I own 3 citoris and would not trade them for the world. 2 have more rounds through them than I could ever count without a single problem. There is a skb sitting on the shelf at gunstop that would be worth looking into for around $850. Otherwise CZ is the only cheaper o/u that I would consider. Red labels, citori's and 101's are all going to be closer to a grand if they are in any kind of shape.
justinvan

Postby spyder357 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Just want to echo what Belgiboy said.

I was in the same boat, a friend of mine advised me to wait a bit for the right deal and to save up a few more bucks.

Ended up getting a used Citori lightning for 1k, in mint, perfect, looked like it had never been fired condition. Today it might even sell for a bit more despite all the pheasant hunting seasons Ive put on it in 10 years.

Honestly I wont ever sell it I like it so much.
spyder357

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm

spyder357 wrote:Just want to echo what Belgiboy said.

I was in the same boat, a friend of mine advised me to wait a bit for the right deal and to save up a few more bucks.

Ended up getting a used Citori lightning for 1k, in mint, perfect, looked like it had never been fired condition. Today it might even sell for a bit more despite all the pheasant hunting seasons Ive put on it in 10 years.

Honestly I wont ever sell it I like it so much.

from some quick looking it seems like all the higher end guns all have ejectors. any ideas what guns ~$1000 have extractors so i'm not having to pick spent shells off the ground? or am I just going to have to deal with ejectors?
aspeedyturtle

Next

Return to General Gun Chat