UPS outlawed?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

UPS outlawed?

Postby samginko on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 pm

I sent in my spotting scope from UPS to Bushnell yesterday. The girl at the counter asked me what was in the package, and I told her it was a spotting scope. She proceeded to tell me no gun parts are allowed. I told her spotting scopes are used to watch birds, but she couldn't get over the 'scope' part. Store manager came by and assured her spotting scopes are allowed, but rifle scopes are not.

So, no more UPS? What's up here, is this an individual store policy or company wide?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
samginko

Re: UPS outlawed?

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual. The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally.
UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Says nothing at all about scopes

Was this a UPS Store or a UPS hub?
Last edited by Squib Joe on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby catalyst686 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Just to clarify, this was a UPS "store", correct? I believe different UPS "stores" can set whatever rules they please, they are privately owned and not ran by the actual UPS company. It can be compared to a "we sell your stuff on ebay" store.
catalyst686

Postby grousemaster on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Which UPS store?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby samginko on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:03 pm

It was a private UPS store. Was told no gun parts.
samginko

Postby bummey on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 pm

As long as you're not violating laws or company policies, don't tell them what's in the package. Be vague, use terminology that applies but isn't specific. Telescope instead of spotting scope, stuff like that.
bummey

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah the guys at the UPS stores are clueless. Better to deal with UPS direct if you can. The Maple Grove hub has a customer service building as you come in.
Sigfan220

UPS outlawed?

Postby xd ED on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:09 pm

bummey wrote:As long as you're not violating laws or company policies, don't tell them what's in the package. Be vague, use terminology that applies but isn't specific. Telescope instead of spotting scope, stuff like that.

There is then a potential problem in the event of a damage claim.
Just avoid the ups stores. Problem solved.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Xscream on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I had a similar issue when shipping an upper. Quite PO'ed that I asked the guy behind the counter, then came back a day later while they were slow as to not upset anyone (I needed it boxed). That time the owner was there and said UPS will not allow then to ship gun parts. I corrected him to have the "well, I don't want to ship it" line pulled out.

Moral of the story, don't tell them, drop it off at a USPS hub or ship is USPS :D
Xscream

Postby grousemaster on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Xscream wrote:I had a similar issue when shipping an upper. Quite PO'ed that I asked the guy behind the counter, then came back a day later while they were slow as to not upset anyone (I needed it boxed). That time the owner was there and said UPS will not allow then to ship gun parts. I corrected him to have the "well, I don't want to ship it" line pulled out.

Moral of the story, don't tell them, drop it off at a USPS hub or ship is USPS :D

Too funny, Palmetto ships all their stuff UPS.....the UPS store is a joke. I ship all of my guns Fedex
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm

I had no problem shipping a G31 back to Glock using UPS from their hub on Opperman Dr.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby grousemaster on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:11 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:I had no problem shipping a G31 back to Glock using UPS from their hub on Opperman Dr.

Hub is fine, the UPS stores are the issue....they are a separate company but still damaging the UPS brand
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby dleong on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 pm

I have, in the recent past, shipped a number of firearms from the UPS Store in downtown Apple Valley back to the manufacturer, using prepaid shipping labels supplied by the manufacturer. The contents of the packages were listed quite clearly on the labels, and the UPS Store employees never balked, had cardiac arrests, or threatened to sic some alphabet-soup government agency on me.
dleong

Postby AdamZ82 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm

During high school / some summers in college I worked at the UPS store in Roseville (on Lexington) and we never cared about shipping parts or accessories. Which store was giving you trouble?
AdamZ82

Postby farmerj on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 pm

try shipping a long gun in the post office if you are really looking for a fun time.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Next

Return to General Gun Chat