Local Bank robbed

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Local Bank robbed

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:19 pm

So my wife and I stop at our Bank this am - only to find they have been recently robbed (within the past hour). I said to my wife boy would I have felt STUPID, the one day I was in a hurry and did not carry. Also it is a branch to the bank located in the town in which I worked as the Police Chief and they all know me and know I carry as many of them or there family are former students. I would have had some explaining to do over coffee had I stumbled into the bank during the robbery.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Re: Local Bank robbed

Postby xd9 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:06 pm

But would you have drawn to stop the robbery or only to protect yourself and your wife? Being former LEO, would you really want to get involved saving the bank from losing their money given you don't have the backing of the department and the City's lawyers any longer? Not trying to say your comments were wrong, it just made me think. :cheers:
xd9

Postby smurfman on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm

One of the problems of a small town is everyone knowing everyone and their habits. The OP entering the bank while a robbery was in progress could easily become endangered as a patron recognizes him and says something about, "doing something". That is providing the OP is not recognized as a police officer (even former) by the robbers as they may be locals or at least have local connections.

That is why many permit holders do not advertise that they carry and often instruct those whom they trust with such knowledge to not say anything if involved in a situation. One may be pushed into an action which is not only dangerous but unnecessary by the poorly thought out actions of others.
smurfman

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 pm

No my response would have been to protect my life, wife, some one else - as I preach at my students - there is nothing wrong with being a live witness vs a dead hero. "Stuff" (money) is insured, and can be replaced - just don't harm me or those around me! But Smurfman makes a valid point often times on-duty or not, retired or not in rural outstate, everyone knows who you are or were and can place you in a jam without even knowing they are doing so. I don't think that i implied I was going to take action against the robber in my first post, I was thinking along the lines that Smurfman pointed out!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby xd9 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Point taken. And good discussion. :flag:
xd9

Postby gunsmith on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 am

wasfuzz wrote:"Stuff" (money) is insured, and can be replaced - just don't harm me or those around me!

Let the thug have the pathetic $3000 or less he gets in the robbery.....everything changes when I get swept by a muzzle .
gunsmith

Postby tenmilmag on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:55 am

gunsmith wrote:
wasfuzz wrote:"Stuff" (money) is insured, and can be replaced - just don't harm me or those around me!

Let the thug have the pathetic $3000 or less he gets in the robbery.....everything changes when I get swept by a muzzle .

Your pink pony turns turns bad a$$ red? :twisted:
tenmilmag

Postby gunsmith on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 am

tenmilmag wrote:
gunsmith wrote:

Your pink pony turns turns bad a$$ red? :twisted:

Please note....I'm not Heffay....I'm just dissing him by usurping his avatar :)
gunsmith

Postby gdubya on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:24 pm

wasfuzz wrote:So my wife and I stop at our Bank this am - only to find they have been recently robbed (within the past hour). I said to my wife boy would I have felt STUPID, the one day I was in a hurry and did not carry. Also it is a branch to the bank located in the town in which I worked as the Police Chief and they all know me and know I carry as many of them or there family are former students. I would have had some explaining to do over coffee had I stumbled into the bank during the robbery.

I work in IT for a bank and some of our branches (especially in Chicago!) get robbed pretty often. One branch here in MN was robbed twice in one day, hours apart, with both robbers escaping on foot into nearby woods. Cops thought it was a mistake the second time, "Nah, we were just there. Oh? Again?" I imagine some lowlife telling a friend, "It was EASY, you should try it." "Damn, you were right!" Seriously though, they are insured and tellers trained not to resist. Time locked safes prevent major losses. Only reason to react is to protect yourself or loved ones if a robber acts deranged. Most dont, they just want some cash and to be out of there asap.
gdubya

Postby 3Spaniels on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 am

I drove out to the intersection thsat the newspaper reported was the location that he was arrested at. If you look down the road a bit there are some U-turn marks in the mud. I am guessing the perp may have driven down a dead-end road. If robbing a bank, knowing your escape route could be useful. I guess when you are from out-of-state, you don''t have that important bit of local information. Robs bank, makes his escape, arrested 20 minutes later. Free food and healthcare ... that is faster than signing up for Obummercare!
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok-Matthew Quiggley
3Spaniels

Postby thunderoussilence on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:03 am

My penny jar fills up pretty quick. Also I am guessing my wheelchair will not be helpful.

Wrong way Feldman
thunderoussilence

Return to General Gun Chat