AR-15 handguard question

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

AR-15 handguard question

Postby Speeter on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I am looking to buy a quadrail for my AR so I can mount a bipod for coyote hunting. My question is, when you are trying to measure the length, do you just go from end to end on the exposed part of the handguard or do you include the portion that is held in by the slip ring and end cap.

I am measuring 6.5" on the exposed part, and right around 7" if I include the slip ring/end cap.

Just want to make sure I order the right one the first time so I don't have to mess with returns.
Speeter

Re: AR-15 handguard question

Postby mahnster on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:10 pm

Sounds like you have a carbine length handguard
mahnster

Postby Speeter on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:02 pm

mahnster wrote:Sounds like you have a carbine length handguard

yes it is, its a Bushy C-15. I am still not sure exactly what measurement I am supposed to use to make sure I get a handgaurd that fits properly. I have seen 6.7" and 7", but depending on where I measure mine from it could be either of them.
Speeter

Postby bummey on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:08 pm

That depends on the type of handguard. Is it a free floated tube that clamps onto the barrel nut? Is it a handguard that hooks onto the delta ring and end cap? If it's the latter, any gas length appropriate handguard should fit. If you're still unsure, contact the handguard manufacturer and ask. Or post it here and we'll take a swing at answering.

Heck, just post the handguard in question.
bummey

Postby Hmac on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:39 pm

You don't have to replace with a quad rail. IWC makes a good solid bipod mount. If you can't make it fit your existing plastic handguard, you can easily switch it for a Magpul MOE. Just use any bipod that attaches via the usual sling swivel stud.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/ ... -mount-v2/

If you just want to use a quad rail, it will need to be any old two-piece carbine length drop in that mounts the same as your current handguard on the delta ring and handguard stop. They're all going to be the same effective length.
Hmac

Postby Speeter on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. This is the one I am looking at, UTG Model 4/15.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... D=LIMTU001

It looks like it just sits over the end cap, but I cant tell for sure from the pictures. emailed the supplier yesterday to see if this would fit on my rifle, but haven't heard back from them yet.
Speeter

Postby deadarrow on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Sent you a PM. Might be something your interested in.
deadarrow

Postby bummey on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:58 am

Speeter wrote:Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. This is the one I am looking at, UTG Model 4/15.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... D=LIMTU001

It looks like it just sits over the end cap, but I cant tell for sure from the pictures. emailed the supplier yesterday to see if this would fit on my rifle, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Yup, that's just a regular ass carbine length railed handguard. It should work just fine on your gun, but a bipod mounted on a carbine length handguard won't be ideal. You want bipods to be as far forward as possible for it to be the most effective.
bummey

Postby BuckKlier on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Speeter wrote:
mahnster wrote:Sounds like you have a carbine length handguard

yes it is, its a Bushy C-15. I am still not sure exactly what measurement I am supposed to use to make sure I get a handgaurd that fits properly. I have seen 6.7" and 7", but depending on where I measure mine from it could be either of them.

Be careful! I have been told the threads are different on carbon 15 Barrel nuts and uppers, and some of the muzzle brakes are pinned and welded. (not removable) I have thought of changing to a free float tube on mine also, but haven't yet, because of the above reasons, Please let me know how you make out.
BuckKlier

Postby Hmac on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm

BuckKlier wrote: Be careful! I have been told the threads are different on carbon 15 Barrel nuts and uppers, and some of the muzzle brakes are pinned and welded. (not removable) I have thought of changing to a free float tube on mine also, but haven't yet, because of the above reasons, Please let me know how you make out.

It's not a free float. The UTG handguard slips in in place of the factory plastic on the delta ring and handguard cap. It's about a 10 minute install.
Hmac

Return to General Gun Chat