Conceal Carry classes low income

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Conceal Carry classes low income

Postby MaryB on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Is there any relief built into the MN conceal carry laws that offer help for people with very low incomes get their permits? As it stands right now I cannot afford the ~$200 it is going to cost to get a permit. I have to save some cash to get ready for lower back multilevel fusion next spring. Will have extra expenses for PT, medications, etc plus needing a stock of easy to prepare foods so I am not standing in the kitchen cooking.
MaryB

Re: Conceal Carry classes low income

Postby farmerj on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 pm

$200?......
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby gunsmith on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 pm

You may want to contact some of the instructors individually with a detailed explanation of you situation....everything I've seen from these guys indicates that they will really extend themselves to help someone.

One thing you have going for you is that in a class of 19 having a 20th student will not increase their costs much. Also you could employ 'the honor system' and promise to pay a certain amount to be determined within a year or whenever you can. I know my instructor who is no longer available would have been eager to help.

Good luck
gunsmith

Postby jgalt on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:11 pm

If she lives in a county that charges the full amount ($100), plus a full box of ammo (a lot of classes require 50 rounds), plus a class on the low end price wise (at least $50-60), that can certainly approach $200...

As for relief from the state - none that I'm aware of.
Last edited by jgalt on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgalt

Postby farmerj on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:11 pm

some instructors are known for suggesting that if you organize a class and place to shoot, your class is free.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby MaryB on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 pm

I should add I am way out in the SW corner by Redwood Falls. Only a few places to take the class one being my gun dealer. The lady that teaches it wants $75 for the class plus I supply 50 rounds of ammo. Then the permit fee on top of it. The system really discriminates against people who are retired/disabled and lower income.
MaryB

Postby farmerj on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 pm

MaryB wrote:I should add I am way out in the SW corner by Redwood Falls. Only a few places to take the class one being my gun dealer. The lady that teaches it wants $75 for the class plus I supply 50 rounds of ammo. Then the permit fee on top of it. The system really discriminates against people who are retired/disabled and lower income.

redwood falls is more central that SW. It's not that far from several instructors that are known to be rather flexible.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby MaryB on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:46 pm

I am 25 miles west of Redwood Falls, and only 65 miles from the SD Border.
MaryB

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:46 am

maryb - check for a pm
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Inspiribomb on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:08 pm

MaryB wrote:I should add I am way out in the SW corner by Redwood Falls. Only a few places to take the class one being my gun dealer. The lady that teaches it wants $75 for the class plus I supply 50 rounds of ammo. Then the permit fee on top of it. The system really discriminates against people who are retired/disabled and lower income.

How is this discrimination against any class of person?
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby MaryB on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Anytime you set a fee for something that excludes a class of people it is discrimination. I know many who live check to check with zero leftover for something like this
MaryB

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:05 pm

I know I always feel discriminated against when I drive by the Bentley dealership on 394..

I'm sorry but IMO its only fair to collect a set fee for said permit, maybe the option of a payment plan should be set into place though.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby jgalt on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Slayer_MN1 wrote:I know I always feel discriminated against when I drive by the Bentley dealership on 394..

I'm sorry but IMO its only fair to collect a set fee for said permit, maybe the option of a payment plan should be set into place though.

Hopefully you can see the fundamental difference between the Bentley dealer & state government, right...?
jgalt

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Mary's point, which I think is valid, is that any significant cost barrier to exercising one's inherent right discriminates unfairly against the poor. This, as I mentioned recently in another thread, is why poll taxes have been ruled unconstitutional. I think this also applies to the 'Saturday Night Special' laws, BTW.
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:36 pm

So, it occurs to me, we need something Like a Northern Poverty Law Center to sponsor folks through the system of getting their permits.
Pat Cannon

Next

Return to General Gun Chat