Cops in schools

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Cops in schools

Postby loose on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 am

benny wrote:Although I agree with school security the addition of several uniformed LE's at any school is going to force cities to either hire more LE's or take them off the streets to cover the schools. I think trained teaches or staff would be a better financially for the school districts as they will have to pay for those LE's to be there.

On a side note most of the schools here in the Anoka area already have LE officers, but their limited to enforcing crimes the students commit rather than an intruder.

The crime rate that high in the schools to need a LEO there? In high school the biggest thing going on there was the buying/selling/using of illicit drugs but I think that is every where. The occasional ass beating every now and then, Oh I suppose we had the cop that got shot in one of the bathrooms too.
loose

Postby jbrawny on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 am

The schools here in Minneapolis has Minneapolis cops assigned to schools. I think each cop is assigned a high school and a couple of middle schools. They are suppose to spend most of their time in the high school but check in at the other schools randomly at least once a day. I have a kid in high school and a kid in middle school and they see the same cop in their schools. I saw the cop in the front office of the middle school once when I picked up my sick kid. He seemed attentive and friendly and I was actually happy to see him there.

Most school shooters are cowards who goes after defenseless people. They almost always kill themselves when the cops moves in on them. So I would rather have a cop in uniform in the school and a police car parked right in front so these cowards would think twice to even try to go into that school.
jbrawny

Postby jbrawny on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 am

loose wrote:In the event something does happen at least more kids will be hit by cops bullets then the perpetrators. :(

I do believe lots of cops are not trained as well as they should be, but to say that they WILL hit more students is not likely. In most school shootings, the point of the gunman is to kill as many people as possible. Then they kill themselves like cowards when the cops move in. I'm not doubting that cops could hit innocent people during a shootout, but most of the school shootings never end that way.
jbrawny

Postby JeffB on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, there will be no Sandy Hooks in St. Croix County!! That's actually very comforting.

Possibly not in Hudson but you missed 90% of the county. New Richmond, Somerset, St Croix Central (Hammond and Roberts), Baldwin-Woodville, River Falls and Glenwood City all have separate school districts not related to Hudson.
JeffB

Postby 1911A45ACP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 am

Last edited by 1911A45ACP on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1911A45ACP

Postby Ironbear on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 am

Sietch wrote:And there's surely some cost savings in letting staff take part in their own security.

In addition to the fact that, based on past shootings, they have some real skin in the game too.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd ED on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 am

Ironbear wrote:
Sietch wrote:And there's surely some cost savings in letting staff take part in their own security.

In addition to the fact that, based on past shootings, they have some real skin in the game too.

But think of the children:
They'll see honorable citizens, armed to protect them from the evils of the world.
Now what lesson is that going to impart?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Brunsi on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 am

We have had officers stationed in each of our schools here in Jordan for a few months now, it has gone quite well and seems to be a very well implemented policy.
Brunsi

Postby gdubya on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 pm

jbrawny wrote:
loose wrote:In the event something does happen at least more kids will be hit by cops bullets then the perpetrators. :(

I do believe lots of cops are not trained as well as they should be, but to say that they WILL hit more students is not likely. In most school shootings, the point of the gunman is to kill as many people as possible. Then they kill themselves like cowards when the cops move in. I'm not doubting that cops could hit innocent people during a shootout, but most of the school shootings never end that way.

Agreed. Neil Gardner, officer at Columbine HS couldn't hit a thing without his glasses on, but his returning fire is credited by many with allowing quite a few students to escape while he engaged the killers. The 4 rounds he fired hit nothing but saved lives.
gdubya

Postby gdubya on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Edit: doubletap on the tablet.
Last edited by gdubya on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
gdubya

Postby thunderoussilence on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:08 pm

I went to St Paul Central in 1986, we had armed Police back then. There were never any issues. I am not aware of any issues now.
thunderoussilence

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat