.22 lr

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

.22 lr

Postby LePetomane on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:23 am

With all of the pissing and moaning about the limited supply of .22 lr ammo, no one seems to have an answer. What are your thoughts of why this is?

William
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Re: .22 lr

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:33 am

It is out there, you just have to look around. I picked up 3250 rounds on Thursday and 300 rounds a few days before.
mmcnx2

Postby photogpat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:35 am

Because guys are buying it 3250 rounds at a time instead of simply a couple of boxes or a brick at a time. It's a labor intensive round to make with little profit...no incentive to produce larger quantities from the manufacturing side.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:31 am

photogpat wrote:Because guys are buying it 3250 rounds at a time instead of simply a couple of boxes or a brick at a time. It's a labor intensive round to make with little profit...no incentive to produce larger quantities from the manufacturing side.

Gee I thought stuff sitting on a shelf was for sale, 3250 rounds is a few months of shooting for me. I also have almost 30,000 rounds of centerfire reloads sitting around, 1000+ rounds of shotgun shells in various gauges and 500-600 rounds of reloads for rifles. I'm not reselling the stuff to anyone, I also hosts new shooters and provide ammo(mostly boy scouts as part of their merit badge), so I'm just a typical shooter.

If your lazy and not willing to locate ammo then pay the crazy price scalpers charge, or get up stop at a few shops and find a deal when you can.

Sounds like sour grapes.
mmcnx2

Postby Nougat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:51 am

photogpat wrote:Because guys are buying it 3250 rounds at a time instead of simply a couple of boxes or a brick at a time. It's a labor intensive round to make with little profit...no incentive to produce larger quantities from the manufacturing side.

instead of being sure we could just order say our 'normal' 1500 or so and have them next week? yes many people are buying some more, it may contribute? is it possible its not being provided to keep people scrambling like spazzes, I'm not sure how one person could check that information.... did it end up seeming like the nra put something up about the lead smelter closing when some folks say its got nothing to do with current production of ammos???? who knows :?:
Nougat

Postby 2in2out on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:53 am

I think as soon as people started buying everything on the shelves, and demand got ahead of supply, it was all over. It has taken a long time for the supply side to catch up and for the demand side to settle down - a lot longer than most people (including myself) expected. But, I still think that's the main problem - production wasn't ready for the last run on ammo.

I check store shelves periodically, just to see what's on them. I'm seeing quite a bit more handgun ammo and 5.56 (NATO)/.223, and I think that's a good sign. Prices haven't come down to "pre-panic" prices yet, but they're not far off. I think .22LR will follow, it just takes time. Be patient.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:57 am

Gander in Rogers had hundreds of boxes of 325 federal Thursday. I went in at 11ish and there was no lines for it, no one handing it out, just a pile of boxes with a 10 max on the sign.
mmcnx2

Postby Nougat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:00 am

is the issue really that we have to fear being punished for actions of others that are beyond our control 9ow for some reason :shock:
Last edited by Nougat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nougat

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:01 am

The same thing would happen if we all started buying 2-3x our normal amount of say gas. The refineries and distribution would take a while to catch up. The firearm industry has been running at max capacity since Obama took office. The gun ban scare made people buy more than the normally would and now you have this. Nothing else - the gov isn't buying it, the lines are not shut down to run 9mm and 223 for the gov. We are just buying that much.

Wheel a pallet of 22lr onto the floor of a walmart in the morning and see how long it lasts, this stuff is still flying off the shelfs
Sigfan220

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 am

Sorry I just read one more post. The lead smelter deal is only the countries last raw ore smelter. There are many companies that smelt recycled lead. Plus lead can easily be sourced from other countries.

The lines are running at full capacity.
Sigfan220

Postby photogpat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Not sour grapes at all. I don't shoot a ton of .22 and have a steady supply.

I was just pointing out that its folks that come in and clear the shelves that are the issue currently. Whether they're reselling, hoarding, etc...if you're genuinely using that much on a regular basis then good for you, and you can ignore me.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Eric Marleau on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Off subject a tad, so I apologize.
Because I tend not to trust our current government, I will not post anything that could be used against me by our currently obtrusive public officials.
Therefore I WILL post that I have no ammo, or anything to make ammo in my reloading room.
It is best to keep some things private in these times.

Just another mundane thought by me.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby Nougat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:31 pm

so who bought the expensive eley stuff at midway? 15$ and more for fifty rounds each in three different kinds(maybe they only had a few of each)? it was in stock for a long time now all thats left is some lead free tin stuff but its only 8$ / 50? are the 'fancy' kinds really worth that much more to the people who can tell the difference?
Nougat

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I see everyone grumping about folks grabbing ammo when a deal is found, or when folks resell it at a profit. Yet in the same moment noone seems to notice some local ranges charging $8 for a box of 50 S&B 22LR. Talk about ripping folks off...dealer cost has not gone up signifcantly so the vast majority of any price difference you see is going straight into their pocket. So, supply and demand is great and companies must make a profit but in my book gouging customers because you can tells me all I need to know about a business long term.
mmcnx2

Postby LePetomane on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 am

I hope that it does not result in fewer people getting into shooting sports. Traditionally kids were introduced to shooting with a .22 because they could shoot all day on the cheap and it had negligible recoil. Then they moved up to the bigger calibers. I wonder if things will change.

Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist but this is what I see happening whether intended or unintended.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Next

Return to General Gun Chat